Page 37 of 46  •  Prev 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 ... 46 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Redneck A-holes with guns
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 11:29AM #361
vra

May 10, 2012 -- 10:48PM, davelaw40 wrote:

meanwhile back in Texas two African deer species may go extinct because of Federal interference

So, Texas wants to favor immigrant deer over American wolves?  That's quite a switch. Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 1:01PM #362
mytmouse57

May 11, 2012 -- 11:29AM, vra wrote:

meanwhile back in Texas two African deer species may go extinct because of Federal interference

So, Texas wants to favor immigrant deer over American wolves?  That's quite a switch. Undecided

Depends. Do the deer have green cards?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 5:00PM #363
vra

May 11, 2012 -- 1:01PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I'm sure they would if they had pockets.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 11, 2012 - 5:39PM #364
mytmouse57

May 11, 2012 -- 5:00PM, vra wrote:

I'm not much for exoctic speicies in the wild. Although, I would be a bit of a hypocrite in that regard, because I like to hunt pheasants, which were introduced to North America from China. 

Anyway, narratives about wolves "killing off" this or that species are usually chicken little stories. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 11:17AM #365
davelaw40

May 11, 2012 -- 5:39PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I'm not much for exoctic speicies in the wild. Although, I would be a bit of a hypocrite in that regard, because I like to hunt pheasants, which were introduced to North America from China. 

Anyway, narratives about wolves "killing off" this or that species are usually chicken little stories. 

the deer are behind high game fences

Texas hunters are also funding reintroducing the Mountain lion and saving the red wolf

our two biggest problems in Texas are feral hogs and coyotes

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 3:17PM #366
Yavanna

Apr 4, 2012 -- 7:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

The killing of wolves goes on and on in the American West.

www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/31/us-us...
And they're not just being killed, but they're being tortured as well.

www.commondreams.org/newswire/2012/04/04

What's the matter with people?  What is this big vendetta hunters and cattlemen have with wolves?

This is an endangered species.  Are people so stupid that they don't realise that all species are essential to the ecosystems of any area, and that if one goes, it impacts on everything else?

Has it not sunk into the thick brains of these people that the life of even one wolf is worth infinitely more than all the cattle herds in the world?

That's a beautiful quote. I'm going to remember it the next time I see a pro-cattle statement.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 7:00PM #367
mytmouse57

May 12, 2012 -- 3:17PM, Yavanna wrote:

Apr 4, 2012 -- 7:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

The killing of wolves goes on and on in the American West.

www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/31/us-us...
And they're not just being killed, but they're being tortured as well.

www.commondreams.org/newswire/2012/04/04

What's the matter with people?  What is this big vendetta hunters and cattlemen have with wolves?

This is an endangered species.  Are people so stupid that they don't realise that all species are essential to the ecosystems of any area, and that if one goes, it impacts on everything else?

Has it not sunk into the thick brains of these people that the life of even one wolf is worth infinitely more than all the cattle herds in the world?

That's a beautiful quote. I'm going to remember it the next time I see a pro-cattle statement.

Wolves are not an "endangred species." Their worldwide conservation status is "least concern."

I just spent the morning watching four generations of a ranching family work together.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 7:08PM #368
Fodaoson

May 12, 2012 -- 11:17AM, davelaw40 wrote:

May 11, 2012 -- 5:39PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

the deer are behind high game fences

Texas hunters are also funding reintroducing the Mountain lion and saving the red wolf

our two biggest problems in Texas are feral hogs and coyotes

and deer on the roadway. Cars kill more deer in texas than deer hunters kill. They are a problem in many suburbs,  

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 7:20PM #369
solfeggio

I've seen people complaining for years about too many deer running around and getting into people's gardens or being hit by cars.  Obviously, this is an ongoing problem in some parts of the States. 

What is also obvious is that nobody has yet come up with some sort of solution to the problem other than shooting deer in hunting season.  And, since people are still complaining about the deer, hunting is not the answer.

Why haven't scientists in some lab somewhere come up with some sort of contraceptive substance that would render either the males or female deer sterile, so they wouldn't have anymore fawns, and thereby eventually end the problem?  It could be in the form of pellets that would be scattered around where the deer feed.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  May 12, 2012 - 7:48PM #370
Yavanna

May 12, 2012 -- 7:20PM, solfeggio wrote:

I've seen people complaining for years about too many deer running around and getting into people's gardens or being hit by cars.  Obviously, this is an ongoing problem in some parts of the States. 

What is also obvious is that nobody has yet come up with some sort of solution to the problem other than shooting deer in hunting season.  And, since people are still complaining about the deer, hunting is not the answer.

Why haven't scientists in some lab somewhere come up with some sort of contraceptive substance that would render either the males or female deer sterile, so they wouldn't have anymore fawns, and thereby eventually end the problem?  It could be in the form of pellets that would be scattered around where the deer feed.

Why is it that when we kill an animal it gets called murder, but this isn't comparable to the forced sterilization of minorities?

That's an utterly sincere question.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel