Page 1 of 46  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Redneck A-holes with guns
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 7:03PM #1
solfeggio
The killing of wolves goes on and on in the American West.

www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/31/us-us...
And they're not just being killed, but they're being tortured as well.

www.commondreams.org/newswire/2012/04/04

What's the matter with people?  What is this big vendetta hunters and cattlemen have with wolves?

This is an endangered species.  Are people so stupid that they don't realise that all species are essential to the ecosystems of any area, and that if one goes, it impacts on everything else?

Has it not sunk into the thick brains of these people that the life of even one wolf is worth infinitely more than all the cattle herds in the world?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 7:09PM #2
Roodog

Apr 4, 2012 -- 7:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

What's the matter with people?  What is this big vendetta hunters and cattlemen have with wolves?

This is an endangered species.  Are people so stupid that they don't realise that all species are essential to the ecosystems of any area, and that if one goes, it impacts on everything else?

Has it not sunk into the thick brains of these people that the life of even one wolf is worth infinitely more than all the cattle herds in the world?

Sorry, but in the United States, people do not eat wolves. If they did, wolves would get more protection.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 9:32PM #3
jane2

I'll let those ranchers handle the wolf problem.

Took a week off from this board visiting my son and his family in another city. He has 3 children, 2 in high school, and my grandson home from MIT. Fantastic discussions for the entire week.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 06, 2012 - 02:01PM
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 9:48PM #4
farragut

I'll bet that was a nice vacation, Jane.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 10:57PM #5
jane2

Apr 4, 2012 -- 9:48PM, farragut wrote:

I'll bet that was a nice vacation, Jane.

Thanks, farragut, it was.............

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 11:02PM #6
Erey

I believe wolves are no longer considered endangered. 

It is sad to see nature and civilization come up against each other like this.  Some types of nature coexist very well with civilization, other types not so much. 

Out near me we have coyotes but the wolves are pretty few and far between.  Although the wolves do come up into the city on rare occasion.  Coyotes coexist with human populations much better than wolves or mountain lions or grizzly bears.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 11:21PM #7
jane2

Apr 4, 2012 -- 11:02PM, Erey wrote:

I believe wolves are no longer considered endangered. 

It is sad to see nature and civilization come up against each other like this.  Some types of nature coexist very well with civilization, other types not so much. 

Out near me we have coyotes but the wolves are pretty few and far between.  Although the wolves do come up into the city on rare occasion.  Coyotes coexist with human populations much better than wolves or mountain lions or grizzly bears.

Erey

Coyotes are a bit of a problem in my son's city but no one is over-concerned. My 17-y-o granddaughter loves animals but even she is not concerned. Nanas get to brag and she is brilliant-truly. We had the most fascinating conversations about life philosophy, etc. We stayed up very late three nights, one with her MIT brother. I loved the conversations we had about so much. I have been blessed with brilliant children and grandchildren. I was also blessed to grow up within a brilliant family. Even as preschoolers we were invited into the conversation at my grandparents' dining table. (And as Irish/English Americans we often had many conversations going at once. This still obtains today.)

J.

Moderated by Merope on Apr 06, 2012 - 02:09PM
discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 11:59PM #8
rabello

Horses, too.   Prairie dogs, too.

When the entire American west is finally "paved" over everyone can go to the zoo.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:20AM #9
Roodog

Apr 4, 2012 -- 11:59PM, rabello wrote:

Horses, too.   Prairie dogs, too.

When the entire American west is finally "paved" over everyone can go to the zoo.

I think some people's idea of subduing the Earth is turning it into one gigantic city. But if we are one gigantic city, then nationalism goes out the window.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:25AM #10
solfeggio

Rabello is right.  It really does seem as if humans are bent on destroying everything about the wilderness that makes it so magical, and turning the land into one big parking lot.

This killing of indigenous species - anywhere, and not just in the States - is so sad.  I know that people think prairie dogs and snakes and river otters, moose, elk, and anything else that happens to be living on the land is nothing more than a 'pest' that needs to be eradicated.  And this is why so many species are on the brink of extinction.

But it really is true that all species are interdependent upon each other, and we humans would do well to remember that we really do share this biosphere with ALL other organisms.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 46  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook