Page 4 of 46  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Redneck A-holes with guns
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 4:00PM #31
TPaine

"Of all the animals, man is the only one that is cruel.  He is the only one that inflicts pain for the pleasure of doing it." -- Mark Twain: The Lowest Animal (1897)

"When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am a friend of its happiness: When these things can be said, then may the country boast its constitution and its government." -- Thomas Paine: The Rights Of Man (1791)
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:54AM #32
Marcion

Apr 7, 2012 -- 3:17PM, rabello wrote:

Apr 7, 2012 -- 11:13AM, Marcion wrote:

For those misinformed individuals who think humans are the pinnacle of creation - pick a fight with a grizzly bear.

That's why those who think that humans are the pinnacle of creation carry guns.  

That's also why I support the right to arm bears.

Without their toys humans are puny indeed. If a catastrophy should occur it will be The Lord of the Flies all over again.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 6:25PM #33
mytmouse57

Apr 4, 2012 -- 7:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

The killing of wolves goes on and on in the American West.

www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/31/us-us...
And they're not just being killed, but they're being tortured as well.

www.commondreams.org/newswire/2012/04/04

What's the matter with people?  What is this big vendetta hunters and cattlemen have with wolves?

This is an endangered species.  Are people so stupid that they don't realise that all species are essential to the ecosystems of any area, and that if one goes, it impacts on everything else?

Has it not sunk into the thick brains of these people that the life of even one wolf is worth infinitely more than all the cattle herds in the world?

As I've stated before, I've lived in the Montana-Idaho-Wyoming region almost all my life, and have watched the wolf saga unfold from the very start, in the mid-1990s. I now live literally minutes away from wolf country.

I've also had regular and extensive contact with numerous experts and interested parties on all sides of the wolf issue. I don't think it's a stretch to say I know far more about this topic, from a very direct perspective, than anybody here.

Solf, your reaction here is a gross-oversimplification, typical of people who live far away, and get very poor, biased information -- usually tilted very strongly against ranchers, hunters and other locals who actually have to live in promimity of wolves. Trust me, the wolves are in no danger of being wiped out. Not even close.

I'll also be the first to add, many locals do live up to the angry, redneck, wildlife-hating sterotype -- and the press loves to quote them. But again, that's only a teeny, tiny part of the picture.

Anyway, I just got home from a very long trip. But I'll be more than happy to post a detailed rundown of the wolf issue later.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 6:46PM #34
mytmouse57

Apr 7, 2012 -- 11:13AM, Marcion wrote:

For those misinformed individuals who think humans are the pinnacle of creation - pick a fight with a grizzly bear.

Lots of grizzlies here in my part of the world too.

Going into grizzly country without first, extensive knowledge of the bears and how to avoid trouble, and second, some sort of defense mechanism is not only going against a basic rule of nature (nature does not regard helplessness as a virture, don't make yourself helpless) -- it's flat out freakin' stupid.

Generally speaking, bear spray (an extremely powerful form of pepper spray) is the best defense, at least for those gutsy and/or experienced enough to travel alone in grizzly country.

Generally speaking again, it's far wiser to go in with at least two people -- three or more is even better.

In that case, to carry both bear spray and a firearm would be a good idea, IMO. In other words, every member of the party should have spray. The one with the most steady nerves and skill with a firearm should carry the firearm -- the best bet being a 12-guage loaded with slugs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 7:19PM #35
jane2

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:25PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Apr 4, 2012 -- 7:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

The killing of wolves goes on and on in the American West.

www.reuters.com/article/2012/03/31/us-us...
And they're not just being killed, but they're being tortured as well.

www.commondreams.org/newswire/2012/04/04

What's the matter with people?  What is this big vendetta hunters and cattlemen have with wolves?

This is an endangered species.  Are people so stupid that they don't realise that all species are essential to the ecosystems of any area, and that if one goes, it impacts on everything else?

Has it not sunk into the thick brains of these people that the life of even one wolf is worth infinitely more than all the cattle herds in the world?

As I've stated before, I've lived in the Montana-Idaho-Wyoming region almost all my life, and have watched the wolf saga unfold from the very start, in the mid-1990s. I now live literally minutes away from wolf country.

I've also had regular and extensive contact with numerous experts and interested parties on all sides of the wolf issue. I don't think it's a stretch to say I know far more about this topic, from a very direct perspective, than anybody here.

Solf, your reaction here is a gross-oversimplification, typical of people who live far away, and get very poor, biased information -- usually tilted very strongly against ranchers, hunters and other locals who actually have to live in promimity of wolves. Trust me, the wolves are in no danger of being wiped out. Not even close.

I'll also be the first to add, many locals do live up to the angry, redneck, wildlife-hating sterotype -- and the press loves to quote them. But again, that's only a teeny, tiny part of the picture.

Anyway, I just got home from a very long trip. But I'll be more than happy to post a detailed rundown of the wolf issue later.

Thanks for the in-put, Mouse.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 7:30PM #36
rabello

Of course, the fact that you are biased, from an animal rights pov, and a political pov, has no bearing on how much "more" you "know" than anybody else, right?

I take it you are supportive of leghold traps, snares, etc and the torture of wolves as it's been described in the reports solfeggio linked in her post?   Just asking since you didn't say, one way or other, electing instead to tell us your opinion should carry more weight than anybody else's.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 7:54PM #37
jane2

Apr 8, 2012 -- 7:30PM, rabello wrote:

Of course, the fact that you are biased, from an animal rights pov, and a political pov, has no bearing on how much "more" you "know" than anybody else, right?

I take it you are supportive of leghold traps, snares, etc and the torture of wolves as it's been described in the reports solfeggio linked in her post?   Just asking since you didn't say, one way or other, electing instead to tell us your opinion should carry more weight than anybody else's.

ZOWWW....................

That is hateful.....................

The wolf issue is not clear-cut and simple. I don't mind input from someone who lives there and not in an ivory tower. Solf has agendas. Not all of us are totally acquiescent to her agendas.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:15PM #38
farragut

Thank you, Jane. You are much more discreet than I would have been.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:30PM #39
rabello

Apr 8, 2012 -- 8:15PM, farragut wrote:

Thank you, Jane. You are much more discreet than I would have been.

Discreet? 

Have at it!!

-- mytmouse insults people because of where they live.

-- Jane2 insults solfeggio because of where she lives, and insults anybody who happens to agree with solfeggio and labels them as mindless followers.

-- Don't know for sure about Jane2 since she hasn't bothered to address the information contained in the two articles which is what informs the OP, but mytmouse obviously has not read them, or has read them, and is not impressed with the information, electing instead, to make his posts about himself and insulting others

-- The information that is contained in those 2 articles is deeply disturbing -- disturbing enough that I would hope even those who are religious about hunting would be disturbed....but, they have to read the articles and view the photos, first, to know what the thread is about

-- Have you read either of the articles, yet, farragut?   What do you think of snaring and leghold traps that don't kill instantly, and taking potshots with rifles at wolves stuck in such traps?  A-OK?  Cuz that's what's happening out there in the wild, wild west. Cool???

-- "hateful" is simply ridiculous.  Maybe some of you aren't aware that there does exist an anti-hunting movement in the United States, is not confined to New Zealand.

"Killing Animals for Recreation is Obscene" -- Anti hunting is here to stay -- "Get Over It"

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:39PM #40
rabello

Apr 8, 2012 -- 6:46PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Going into grizzly country without first, extensive knowledge of the bears and how to avoid trouble, and second, some sort of defense mechanism is not only going against a basic rule of nature (nature does not regard helplessness as a virture, don't make yourself helpless) -- it's flat out freakin' stupid.

Generally speaking, bear spray (an extremely powerful form of pepper spray) is the best defense, at least for those gutsy and/or experienced enough to travel alone in grizzly country.

Generally speaking again, it's far wiser to go in with at least two people -- three or more is even better.

In that case, to carry both bear spray and a firearm would be a good idea, IMO. In other words, every member of the party should have spray. The one with the most steady nerves and skill with a firearm should carry the firearm -- the best bet being a 12-guage loaded with slugs.

Off-topic. 

Intentionally trying to offend?

Like Marcion said, human beings without their toys are puny

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 46  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 46 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook