arielg

I know. You like a dying struggle.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 6:16PM #352
mytmouse57

May 3, 2012 -- 6:02PM, arielg wrote:

I know. You like a dying struggle.

Actually, I like mint chocolate chip ice cream and chubby puppies. 

But that's beside the point. 

I understand that:

A: You don't like hunting, and have some opinons regarding why people do it.

B: Think that wildlife does not need to be managed.

And you are more than welcome to hold those views. But you have got to back them up with rational arguments that are relevant to the wolf managment program in the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. 

I haven't spend hundreds of hours researching, writing about and in the company of experts in numerous disiplines related to those issues to waste time trying to counter idealoge sermons and  assumpions about my mental state.

Now, once again, do you have anything of substance to offer?

Because if I want preaching, blovating and scorn about what a terrible person I am, all I have to do is walk down the street to nearest church and start an argument with the pastor about the Nicean doctrine of the Trinity. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 7:43PM #353
Fodaoson

Maybe the thread should be retitled  ,Redneck  opinionated A-holes with guns  computers and internet.

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 03, 2012 - 11:34PM #354
solfeggio

No, some of us have simply tried to make the point that wildlife does not need to be managed by humans.

If you truly respect nature, you will leave the animals alone.

We should live side by side with the natural world, affording the nonhuman animals the respect and right to life that we give to ourselves.  Instead, we act as if the world is ours exclusively and that we will allow the other animals may share it only if we say so, and only if where they wish to live does not encroach upon our territory.

We shove the nonhuman animals into smaller and smaller areas as we expand and greedily steal the land upon which they have lived far longer than we have.  We are so vain that we act as if we have a right to do this simply because we are humans and they are not.

But the sad fact is that any time humans try to solve some perceived 'problem' with wildlife, they inevitably create another.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 2:07AM #355
headhuntersix

Apr 4, 2012 -- 7:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

This is an endangered species.  Are people so stupid that they don't realise that all species are essential to the ecosystems of any area, and that if one goes, it impacts on everything else?

Factually incorrect.  The wolf is a reintroduced species.  The ecosystem had long since adjusted to their absence.  Not always in good ways (whitetail deer in Alabama are the size of dogs due mainly to overpopulation, to which the absence of wolved certainly contributes), but the damage of erradicating wolves took effect generations ago.  Any random wolf killings now that they're being reintroduced won't wreck the ecosystem, it's far too late for that!

Apr 4, 2012 -- 7:03PM, solfeggio wrote:

Has it not sunk into the thick brains of these people that the life of even one wolf is worth infinitely more than all the cattle herds in the world?

Pure opinion.  In their minds, the opposite is true.  To them, a single cow is worth more than a hundred packs of wolves.  Who am I to say that your opinion is right and theirs is wrong?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 2:16AM #356
headhuntersix

May 2, 2012 -- 6:30PM, solfeggio wrote:

And New Zealand's energy system is hydroelectric.

So is America's.  It just so happens that a somewhat larger percentage of our hydroelectric energy system comes from fossil fuels than the 26% of your electricity that comes from burning things. 

Wait.  New Zealand?  I'll have you know that I'm a resident of Wyoming.  Yellowstone is my business, not yours.  You wouldn't want me mucking around insisting that you raise fewer sheep, would you?  And I'd have more justification.  Your sheep affect the price that Wyoming ranchers get for their sheep.  How, exactly, do the wolves who get shot for making a snack out of Wyoming sheep affect you? 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 2:25AM #357
headhuntersix

May 1, 2012 -- 10:09PM, arielg wrote:

This is the quote Solfeggio was referring to.

It is the complete opposite of your position and philosophy.

Finally, there is a quote by the founder of Taoism, Lao Tzu:

The world is ruled by letting

things take their course

It cannot be ruled by interferring

It sounds like you don't understand.  Killing and eating another animal (hunting/fishing) isn't "interference," it's "letting things take their course."    If anything, agriculture (and by extension, grocery stores) would be the interference to which Lao Tzu was referring to, not hunting.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 10:15AM #358
mytmouse57

May 3, 2012 -- 7:43PM, Fodaoson wrote:

Maybe the thread should be retitled  ,Redneck  opinionated A-holes with guns  computers and internet.

That would be me.  LOL!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 04, 2012 - 10:17AM #359
mytmouse57

May 4, 2012 -- 2:16AM, headhuntersix wrote:

May 2, 2012 -- 6:30PM, solfeggio wrote:

And New Zealand's energy system is hydroelectric.

So is America's.  It just so happens that a somewhat larger percentage of our hydroelectric energy system comes from fossil fuels than the 26% of your electricity that comes from burning things. 

Wait.  New Zealand?  I'll have you know that I'm a resident of Wyoming.  Yellowstone is my business, not yours.  You wouldn't want me mucking around insisting that you raise fewer sheep, would you?  And I'd have more justification.  Your sheep affect the price that Wyoming ranchers get for their sheep.  How, exactly, do the wolves who get shot for making a snack out of Wyoming sheep affect you? 

Greetings from a fellow Wyoming resident! (Have also lived in Idaho and Montana.)

Funny how the wolf issue always brings out armchair quarterbacks who live nowhere near here, eh?

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  May 10, 2012 - 10:48PM #360
davelaw40

meanwhile back in Texas two African deer species may go extinct because of Federal interference

Non Quis, Sed Quid
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 36 of 46  •  Prev 1 ... 34 35 36 37 38 ... 46 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook