Page 26 of 46  •  Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 46 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Redneck A-holes with guns
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 2:20PM #251
arielg

Your mentality of manipulating, rearranging and  controlling the environment created the problem.  Now you are trying to solve it with further manipulating and controlling.

Just stop blocking the sun, Alexander.  Try to educate the foolish ranchers and hunters instead on focusing on the wolf.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 2:25PM #252
rabello

It's not misanthropy.  You missed the point of the story, which I really like (knocked another one out of the ballpark, arielg!!).  It is the opposite of misanthropy to want human beings to rise above their dinosaur brains.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 2:38PM #253
arielg

I am not sure what you mean, Rabello. Could you elaborate?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 7:35PM #254
rabello

Apr 22, 2012 -- 2:38PM, arielg wrote:

I am not sure what you mean, Rabello. Could you elaborate?

Sorry, arielg, my post was in response to mtymouse's insulting post to you, not to the one of your's that followed his.  Sorry I didn't make that clear.   I didn't see your post before I posted mine.   I'm talking about the one where he accused you of "prattling", of being ignorant, unreasonable, unknowledgeable, immature, a hypocrite, and a misanthropist.   Right after that very provocative "story" about Arthur.

I get tired of the careless accusation of "misanthropy" against those who are obviously not misanthropists.   It is lazy.   So, I said "it" -- meaning your perspective -- isn't misanthropy, in fact it is quite the opposite.  "Dinosaur Brains" I got from a book I read about predatory CEOs and bosses and how they use the limbic part of the brain to make decisions, which to me accurately describes the kill or be killed mentality, esp in the modern world.

Your posts on this thread have been phenomenal.   I really like the imagery of someone telling the benevolent, paternaistic king to step out of the way of nature, and I appreciate your last response to mytmouse.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 8:52PM #255
arielg

Thank you, Rabello. I totally ignore the name calling. It sounds so defensive and it serves no purpose.

Unrelated to this, I just got a nice video from my sister that you and Solfeggio might  like.  It is very Buddhistic.

dotsub.com/media/15f0467f-d351-4224-acf5...

(At least it has beautiful pictures)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 10:23PM #256
jane2

Apr 22, 2012 -- 8:52PM, arielg wrote:

Thank you, Rabello. I totally ignore the name calling. It sounds so defensive and it serves no purpose.

Unrelated to this, I just got a nice video from my sister that you and Solfeggio might  like.  It is very Budhistic.

What is your relationship to Buddhism? Have you lived in a Buddhist nation ? I do realize that certain coterie here responds only to like thoughts.

The nastiest posts on too many threads are by your coterie. I lived in a very Buddhist nation for two years--Thailand.We went back to visit in the 90's and Thai friends took us everywhere, even Doi Sutep in Chaing Mai. On our way down the hill our hostess enjoined us to ring the gongs, too because she said she had made merit for us too in two chapels. Little hatefulness in Thailand.

Too much hatefulness abroad here.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 22, 2012 - 10:30PM #257
jane2

arielg

I would invite you to read Thomas Merton who has already said and expounded upon who we are. He's a Catholic+ existentialist with universal exposition. He died conferring with Buddhist monks.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 2:24PM #258
mytmouse57

Apr 22, 2012 -- 2:20PM, arielg wrote:

Your mentality of manipulating, rearranging and  controlling the environment created the problem.  Now you are trying to solve it with further manipulating and controlling.

Just stop blocking the sun, Alexander.  Try to educate the foolish ranchers and hunters instead on focusing on the wolf.

You miss the point. The facts do not bear out your Chicken Little suppositions. If what we're doing is so bad, then why is this area, literally, an envy of the World -- in terms of ecology and size, variety and distribution of wildlife populations?

We're not blocking the sun or paving the world. 

Heck, as long as we're throwing out spiritual anectdotes, it's said that Muhammed once advised that one should "Trust in God, and tie up your camel."

And resorting to calling people foolish doesn't bolster your case. Neither does the hysterically ironic assumption that people need to be "edcuated" about things you've yet to demonstrate any working knowlege of.

So, you don't like hunting, and wallow in negative sterotypes about hunters, ranchers and, apparently, Western American culture in general. Bully for you, I don't care about your bias, and your attempts to chastise come across only as mildly annoying ranting. 

I've got my share of misgivings and questions about the wolf managment plans, as such. But I'm asking for intelligent, fact-based discussion on the issue.

Simply saying hunters are pathological fools, and ranchers are greedy so-and-so's isn't intelligent. It's basically childish pouting. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 2:31PM #259
mytmouse57

Apr 22, 2012 -- 8:52PM, arielg wrote:

Unrelated to this, I just got a nice video from my sister that you and Solfeggio might  like.  It is very Buddhistic.

(At least it has beautiful pictures)

What name calling? I've called your arguments and ideas to task for what they are. You are the one who has resorted to personal attacks, calling people idiots and fools, simply because they won't agree with your ideology.

I'm not interested in idealogy, or further sermons. I would love some fact-based perspectives and ideas.

You seem completely unable to admit you're in over your head here.  But as I said, I'm more than happy to keep giving you enough rope, if you wish to proceed. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 23, 2012 - 3:37PM #260
rabello

Apr 23, 2012 -- 2:31PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

What name calling? I've called your arguments and ideas to task for what they are. You are the one who has resorted to personal attacks, calling people idiots and fools, simply because they won't agree with your ideology.

I'm not interested in idealogy, or further sermons. I would love some fact-based perspectives and ideas.

This is what you refuse to "get".   His is a fundamentally different philosophy from your's.  Why don't YOU consider HIS philosophy and provide some perspectives and ideas from it, same as what you are demanding that he do, for you.  Oh, it's not your philosophy so you can't argue from it?  Well, same is true for arielg and anyone else who opposes hunting for ethical reasons....so you must either move on or keep repeating yourself, which at some point, I would think would become tiresome.  Apparently, repeating yourself hasn't become tiresome yet.   Just because you advocate the status quo and live by an anachronistic, conservative tradition, it doesn't mean the status quo or conservative tradition is truth, or even ethical.  Those authorities you like to quote represent the special interests of hunters, ranchers, gun manufacturers and sellers, private business that caters to huntering and ranching -- not "nature" or the perspective of all people.  So, relying on the "authorities" to make a case will never convince. 

Apr 23, 2012 -- 2:31PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

You seem completely unable to admit you're in over your head here.  But as I said, I'm more than happy to keep giving you enough rope, if you wish to proceed. 

And this isn't a form of name-calling?  You came on this thread with insults and condescension, so adequately demonstrated by the above sentence toward those who are not awed by self-proclaimed marksmanship or your self-proclaimed, expert knowledge in an worn-out hobby you've chosen for yourself.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 26 of 46  •  Prev 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 ... 46 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook