Page 17 of 22  •  Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Religious extremists at it again.....
2 years ago  ::  Apr 07, 2012 - 9:45PM #161
costrel

Apr 7, 2012 -- 7:00PM, Cesmom wrote:

Students learn by questioning.  If the teacher is not allowed to facilitate a discussion or debate questioning evolution or any other scientific theory, then they are not doing their job. 

No, teachers do their jobs when they teach the state grade-level content standards and ensure that their students attain proficient and advanced levels of achievement. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 1:38AM #162
Qwesam

Apr 7, 2012 -- 9:44PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Students learn by questioning.  If the teacher is not allowed to facilitate a discussion or debate questioning evolution or any other scientific theory, then they are not doing their job.

you must have gone to a special school. I went to several different schools in different towns, and states. never did we ask questions. Nor were we encouraged to ask questions. You learned what you were told. Period.

EXACTLY!!!!

You don't go to Math class question Why 1+1=2

***Watching Foxnews makes you dumb and dumber than your friends who watch NO News. It is on the survey!

***Don’t listen to what Republicans say, look what they do to Women’s rights.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 4:46PM #163
mainecaptain

Apr 8, 2012 -- 1:38AM, Qwesam wrote:

you must have gone to a special school. I went to several different schools in different towns, and states. never did we ask questions. Nor were we encouraged to ask questions. You learned what you were told. Period.

EXACTLY!!!!

That is correct. You may ask a question about how to figure the thing you are being taught, but not whether it is valid or not.

With the exception of English literature, (which I did not have until upper grades and college), There was no discussion.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 7:40PM #164
Cesmom

Apr 8, 2012 -- 4:46PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Apr 8, 2012 -- 1:38AM, Qwesam wrote:

EXACTLY!!!!

That is correct. You may ask a question about how to figure the thing you are being taught, but not whether it is valid or not.

With the exception of English literature, (which I did not have until upper grades and college), There was no discussion.

Wow!  That's amazing.  We were taught in science class that no progress is ever made without questioning theories and results.  Maybe it's a generational thing?

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:09PM #165
farragut

"  Maybe it's a generational thing?"

Not exactly. I think it's a case of substantial specific requirements being laid down by state and federal authorities such that the teachers simply do not have time to teach thinking. They must pour information from that firehose, and the kids must swallow all they can.

Further, few teachers today even have a sense of the socratic approach, even if they had time. And, as has been noted, perhaps a majority of science teachers are pre-commited to a non-scientific approach to the nature of life.

'Tis a problem.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 8:14PM #166
Ken

Apr 8, 2012 -- 7:40PM, Cesmom wrote:

Apr 8, 2012 -- 4:46PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Wow!  That's amazing.  We were taught in science class that no progress is ever made without questioning theories and results.  Maybe it's a generational thing?

I hope you were also taught that progress is made only when qualified experts question theories and results. When high school students do it, it just wastes class time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 9:04PM #167
jane2

Apr 8, 2012 -- 8:09PM, farragut wrote:

"  Maybe it's a generational thing?"

Not exactly. I think it's a case of substantial specific requirements being laid down by state and federal authorities such that the teachers simply do not have time to teach thinking. They must pour information from that firehose, and the kids must swallow all they can.

Further, few teachers today even have a sense of the socratic approach, even if they had time. And, as has been noted, perhaps a majority of science teachers are pre-commited to a non-scientific approach to the nature of life.

'Tis a problem.

Neat answer, farragut............

I taught junior high school English for awhile and expression did count. I loved teaching and evoking responses. My fave's were always the fast-tracked students. Not all teachers like them because they are reactive--appropriate in English classes.

One year in a fast-tracked class the kids put plastic throw-up on my desk. I left it until just before the bell, watching all the nudging. I picked it up and asked in correct form : to whom does this belong? Told the claimer to get one that smelled next time. Total collapse........I loved those students.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 10:17PM #168
mountain_man

No, it's a purposeful misunderstanding thing. Questioning theories and results is a great thing. That's how science advances. Students asking questions about certain ideas is how they learn. Imposing religiously based questions on science is not how students learn or how science progresses.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 08, 2012 - 11:31PM #169
jane2

Apr 8, 2012 -- 10:17PM, mountain_man wrote:

No, it's a purposeful misunderstanding thing. Questioning theories and results is a great thing. That's how science advances. Students asking questions about certain ideas is how they learn. Imposing religiously based questions on science is not how students learn or how science progresses.

Way to go, mm .........................

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 09, 2012 - 12:37AM #170
mainecaptain

Apr 8, 2012 -- 11:31PM, jane2 wrote:

Apr 8, 2012 -- 10:17PM, mountain_man wrote:

Way to go, mm .........................

+1

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 17 of 22  •  Prev 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 ... 22 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook