Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Michelle Duggar tells CBN We Could Fit the Entire Planet of 7 Billion+ People in Jacksonville, Fla
2 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2012 - 11:09PM #1
Fodaoson

She is correct  but to live takes more space

We've heard of New Math" but Michelle Duggar might have to show us her work on this one. The perpetually pregnant TLC mom, who has 19 kids under her (non-chastity) belt so far, told the Christian Broadcasting Network that the pesky rumor of the world being overpopulated is not accurate and that -- stay with us here -- if we all stood "shoulder to shoulder," we could fit the entire planet of 7 billion-plus people in Jacksonville, Fla. Wait, what? Duggar continued that she agrees with Mother Teresa, who once commented that saying there are too many children "is like saying there are too many flowers.( now.msn.com/now/0330-michelle-duggar-no-...)  If the world lived in one city it would be like this [static.persquaremile.com/wp-content/uplo...]

What is the area of jacksonville Florida? 2,264.5 square kilometres, 885 square miles, 2,292.14 square kilometres and 2,292.15 square kilometres

How much space if everyone is lined up shoulder to shoulder does the world's current population take up?s

A reasonable packing would be three people to the square meter.

The world's population in October 2008 is about 6.7 billion people. So we would need 2233 square kilometers or 862 square miles.

If you moved all these people to New Haven County, Connecticut, USA which has that exact area, thewhole population of the world could stand upright, three to a square meter, completely within its borders. (Does it have any lakes or rivers?)

Edit:  News link: blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/2012/03/29/...

Moderated by Stardove on Mar 31, 2012 - 01:09AM
“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
"I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:11AM #2
arielg

She is confusing surviving with living.  Very different things. And I even doubt survival is possible standing shoulder to shoulder.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:28AM #3
DotNotInOz

Which is about as useful an exercise as trying to decide how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 6:48AM #4
IreneAdler

I hope her kids are a heck of a lot more intelligent than she is.

Willful ignorance personified.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 9:08AM #5
newsjunkie

And how many families could fit into Jacksonville if each of them lived in 7000 sq-ft homes surrounded by ample acerage like the Duggars'?

Oops, I forgot that only those folks who are in God's favor get to live like that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 1:54PM #6
mainecaptain

Mar 31, 2012 -- 9:08AM, newsjunkie wrote:

And how many families could fit into Jacksonville if each of them lived in 7000 sq-ft homes surrounded by ample acerage like the Duggars'?

Oops, I forgot that only those folks who are in God's favor get to live like that.

Exactly

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:30PM #7
Ebon

In other news, Michelle Duggar is a frickin' moron.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 4:22PM #8
Erey

I personally think it is interesting that everyone could fit into Jacksonville, FL even if it would be pretty uncomfortable. 

Personally, I don't believe in having extraordinary quantities of children.  Nor do I believe overpopulation is irrelevant.  I think the argument is perhaps overblown but not irrelevant. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 4:29PM #9
mountain_man

Mar 30, 2012 -- 11:09PM, Fodaoson wrote:

She is correct  but to live takes more space...

The most moronic part of her absurd claim is why would anyone want to live in Jacksonville?

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 4:30PM #10
mountain_man

Mar 31, 2012 -- 6:28AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Which is about as useful an exercise as trying to decide how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...

The "answer" is all of them.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook