Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Michelle Duggar tells CBN We Could Fit the Entire Planet of 7 Billion+ People in Jacksonville, Fla
3 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:46PM #21
mainecaptain

Apr 2, 2012 -- 11:42PM, Ebon wrote:

I couldn't care less about her children and have never seen their show. I'm just of the opinion that three-quarters of humanity are morons.

Everyday I see this is true

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 7:12PM #22
solfeggio

A moron can be described as a person who is either just plain stupid, or, to be kinder, perhaps just lacking in common sense.

Common sense implies an understanding of social problems and the manipulating of human behaviours and learning to behave adaptively in human situations.  Common sense is all about asking questions, instead of acting purely on the emotion of the moment.

But, then, you have the stupid people who consistently make poor decisions and careless mistakes.  Or, as the Yiddish proverb goes: 'Against stupidity, god himself is helpless.'

Stupid people start wars.  Stupid people think a person's skin colour matters.  Stupid people are homophobes.  Stupid people accept intelligent design and creationism as true. 

Then, you have ignorance, which is present to some degree in all humans.  To quote Grantland Rice:

'A wise man makes his own decisions; an ignorant man follows the public opinion.'

And then there was Benjamin Franklin on ignorance:

'Being ignorant is not so much a shame, as being unwilling to learn.'

In other words, if you would not be ignorant or stupid, ASK QUESTIONS!  And never stop asking until you get answers that make sense.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 9:50PM #23
Erey

Solph,

I am hardly a stupid person.  I believe that what we commonly refer to as God or the divine force created or designed the world in which we live.  I don't believe we and the world we live in are just an accident of misfired energy and dust.  Hence, I believe in Intelligent Design.

Am I stupid or is the person that is casting very harsh judgement on the majority of people in the world (most people believe the world was designed including plenty of scientists and phd's) without thinking twice the stupid one?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 10:02PM #24
Roodog

Apr 2, 2012 -- 6:10PM, solfeggio wrote:

If those kids are being raised in the suffocating fundamentalist Christian atmosphere in which they're being taught that:

every word in the bible is absolutely true;

homosexuality is a sin;

Jews are Christ-killers;

no matter what the circumstances, abortion is always a sin;

evolution is a lie and Darwin was wrong;

climate change isn't happening; 

atheists are going to hell;

- or, in other words, that they will grow up to be uncompromising conservatives -

Then, yes, I'd say that those kids are being greatly harmed in their upbringing by their parents.

The Romans actually crucified Christ, so the Italians really have to watch it!

And yes, all non Christians are lost and most Christians are also lost.

For those who have faith, no explanation is neccessary.
For those who have no faith, no explanation is possible.

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 11:00PM #25
newsjunkie

Apr 3, 2012 -- 9:50PM, Erey wrote:

Solph,

I am hardly a stupid person.  I believe that what we commonly refer to as God or the divine force created or designed the world in which we live.  I don't believe we and the world we live in are just an accident of misfired energy and dust.  Hence, I believe in Intelligent Design.

Am I stupid or is the person that is casting very harsh judgement on the majority of people in the world (most people believe the world was designed including plenty of scientists and phd's) without thinking twice the stupid one?

I don't want to derail the thread, but I have to make a brief response. A person does not have to believe in intelligent design in order to believe that a creator made the universe. Intelligent design has been debunked thoroughly. It's nonsense. But don't take my word for it. This talk by Kenneth Miller, a biology professor and textbook author who also  happens to be a Christian explains eloquently why intelligent design is bunk.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 04, 2012 - 6:29PM #26
solfeggio

Indeed the so-called 'theory' of intelligent design has been thoroughly debunked any number of times.  Intelligent design and creationism are in the same category as astology and alchemy: nonsensical pseudo-science and in no way scientifically credible.

Intelligent design does not meet the accepted standards of the scientific community for being a scientific theory.  The National Center for Science Education conducted a search of peer-reviewed scientific journals and found no articles supporting intelligent design.  However, many thousands of articles supporting evolution were found.

The danger of belief in such a moronic Christian theory as intelligent design, as well as creationism, is that it might be taught in the public schools.  This is nothing more than a religious movement disguised as science that should never be allowed to replace science teaching in any country's classrooms.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:24AM #27
Roodog

It could be entirely possible to fit seven billion people into Jacksonville, but who really wants that many neighbors?

St. Thomas Aquinas

If one turns his ear from hearing the Law, even his prayer is an abomination. Proverbs 28:9
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:34AM #28
solfeggio

I would be interested to see exactly how those 6,928,198 billion folks would fit into Jacksonville, which occupies 885 square miles and has at present a population of 1,345,596 people.

Of course, if all those 6,928,198 people were squeezed cheek by jowl next to the current inhabitants of Jacksonville, then presumably the rest of the planet would be empty of humans. 

And that wouldn't be such a bad thing, because the rain forests could start recovering, marine life would be free to multiply in the oceans, and since the burning of fossil fuels would stop, the atmosphere might be cleaner.

But wait a minute.  That's already been covered in that recent TV series 'Life After People.' 

www.history.com/shows/life-after-people

And no matter how you slice it, the fewer humans on the planet, the better for all concerned.

So, go ahead, dump them into Jacksonville and see what happens!                       

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:43AM #29
Ken

Apr 5, 2012 -- 12:34AM, solfeggio wrote:

I would be interested to see exactly how those 6,928,198 billion folks would fit into Jacksonville, which occupies 885 square miles and has at present a population of 1,345,596 people.

I'd be interested in knowing why any of them would want to live in Jacksonville in the first place.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Apr 05, 2012 - 12:07PM #30
Roodog

Apr 5, 2012 -- 12:34AM, solfeggio wrote:

Of course, if all those 6,928,198 people were squeezed cheek by jowl next to the current inhabitants of Jacksonville, then presumably the rest of the planet would be empty of humans. 

And that wouldn't be such a bad thing, because the rain forests could start recovering, marine life would be free to multiply in the oceans, and since the burning of fossil fuels would stop, the atmosphere might be cleaner.

But wait a minute.  That's already been covered in that recent TV series 'Life After People.' 

www.history.com/shows/life-after-people

And no matter how you slice it, the fewer humans on the planet, the better for all concerned.

So, go ahead, dump them into Jacksonville and see what happens!                       

Would you really want to have 7 billion neighbors? I sure as hell don't.

St. Thomas Aquinas

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook