Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Tunisian Officials Decry Anti-Semitic Chants at Rally
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 12:25PM #1
rocketjsquirell
I guess this is good news.

the good:
Tunisia's Religious Affairs Ministry condemned anti-Semitic epithets shouted at a rally

the probably not good:
rally in Tunis calling for the imposition of Islamic law in the country's new constitution.

Tunisian officials decry anti-Semitic chants at rally

March 28, 2012

(JTA) -- Tunisia's Religious Affairs Ministry condemned anti-Semitic epithets shouted at a rally in Tunis calling for the imposition of Islamic law in the country's new constitution.

"The call to fight against the Jews is absurd," the ministry said in a statement issued Tuesday, according to the French news agency AFP. "The ministry rejects this attack against all Tunisian citizens. Tunisian Jews are full citizens."

A new constitution is being drafted for the country, which has a population of 10 million, mostly Muslims. About 1,500 Jews reportedly live in Tunisia.

full article:
www.jta.org/news/article/2012/03/28/3092...
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 1:12PM #2
teilhard

What ultimately happens as "The Arab Spring" moves into further Seasons remains to be seen ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 1:34PM #3
Esdraelon

Mar 29, 2012 -- 1:12PM, teilhard wrote:

What ultimately happens as "The Arab Spring" moves into further Seasons remains to be seen ...

There has already been complaints by the more moderate of the Arab Brotherhood going in and taking over....just what do people call 'free' elections when the people voting are intimidated by the extremists? They will vote to save their life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:31PM #4
teilhard

"Democracy" on The Streets is often MESSY, yes ... ???

Mar 29, 2012 -- 1:34PM, Esdraelon wrote:

There has already been complaints by the more moderate of the Arab Brotherhood going in and taking over....just what do people call 'free' elections when the people voting are intimidated by the extremists? They will vote to save their life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 10:37AM #5
mytmouse57

Well, we all know that Arabs/Muslims are inherently bad people, and Israel is incapable of doing anything wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 2:57PM #6
BDboy

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:31PM, teilhard wrote:

"Democracy" on The Streets is often MESSY, yes ... ???

Mar 29, 2012 -- 1:34PM, Esdraelon wrote:

>>>>> yes it is. I look at this story as a positive move. The new party was elected in a democratic process. They are a religious (Islamic) party. It is nice to see they are standing up for true teachings of Islam and stand up to hate speech.

In a more matured democracies we often see difficult pictures. In the US there was a "Ground zero mosque" movement while NO one proposed any such thing on ground zero!!

Before Iraq invasion, 87% of UK population was against that move but UK government went with it. That did not look like a democratic move to me.

I am encouraged to see a very young democracy like Tunisia is acting responisbly. I hope they bring peace and progress in that country.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 3:36PM #7
teilhard

You're the only one posting such Nonsense ...

What is obvious from ALL of History is that it ALWAYS proceeds painfully slowly and with lots of spilled Blood ... Any Romantic Ideas that "The Arab Spring" would sweep in a marvelous quick Development of Liberal Democracies devoted to Justice and Human Rights just hasn't been paying Attention ...

Mar 31, 2012 -- 10:37AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Well, we all know that Arabs/Muslims are inherently bad people, and Israel is incapable of doing anything wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:49PM #8
Erey

I consider this particular story rather promising.  I am actually more than a little surprised by it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 02, 2012 - 11:51PM #9
teilhard

The Fact that The Officials DECRIED Anti-Semitism ... I agree ... It IS a good Thing ...

Apr 2, 2012 -- 11:49PM, Erey wrote:

I consider this particular story rather promising.  I am actually more than a little surprised by it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2012 - 12:22AM #10
Ebon

At least the authorities condemned it. That's a hopeful sign.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook