Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View J.K. Rowling is no longer a billionaire
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:38PM #1
solfeggio
The Forbes Rich List has dumped Ms Rowling from their billionaires' club.  So, how does this happen to somebody as rich as Rowling?

Well, it's simply that she's given away so much of her fortune to charity, and also because she's had to pay such high British taxes.

shelf-life.ew.com/2012/03/09/j-k-rowling...

What's interesting about this whole thing is that it must be almost unheard of for a billionaire to give away so much money, and to charity yet, that s/he cannot be termed a billionaire anymore!

A couple of years ago, some U.S. billionaires pledged half of their fortunes to charity.    

www.reuters.com/article/2010/08/04/us-we...

But, of that group, Ted Turner and Michael Bloomberg are still billionaires today, as are George Lucas and T Bone Pickens.   So, I guess their charitable impluses didn't go quite as far as those of Ms Rowling.

Would Mitt Romney give away so many of his billions that he would drop down to lowly millionaire status?  Not likely.    
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 11:14PM #2
loveontheair

Hello,

I have never seen any of her movies and don't plan on it.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 11:39PM #3
mainecaptain

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:38PM, solfeggio wrote:

The Forbes Rich List has dumped Ms Rowling from their billionaires' club.  So, how does this happen to somebody as rich as Rowling?

Well, it's simply that she's given away so much of her fortune to charity, and also because she's had to pay such high British taxes.

What's interesting about this whole thing is that it must be almost unheard of for a billionaire to give away so much money, and to charity yet, that s/he cannot be termed a billionaire anymore!

A couple of years ago, some U.S. billionaires pledged half of their fortunes to charity.    

But, of that group, Ted Turner and Michael Bloomberg are still billionaires today, as are George Lucas and T Bone Pickens.   So, I guess their charitable impluses didn't go quite as far as those of Ms Rowling.

Would Mitt Romney give away so many of his billions that he would drop down to lowly millionaire status?  Not likely.    

Tells you a lot about greed doesn't it? Good for Ms. Rowling. Isn't that what life should be about, helping others? Making other peoples lives better? Leave the world better then you found it?

And no romney would not do. He doesn't even care if people die because they can't afford health insurance he sure as hell doesn't want to give them any money, making him only a multi millionare.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 11:43PM #4
Fodaoson

Mar 28, 2012 -- 11:14PM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

love

your  entertainment  loss

She made the bulk of money from books, she has sold over  five  hundred million and rising.   

In 2000, Rowling established the Volant Charitable Trust, which uses its annual budget of £5.1 million to combat poverty and social inequality. The fund also gives to organisations that aid children, one parent families, and multiple sclerosis research.[139] Rowling said In 2000, Rowling established the Volant Charitable Trust, which uses its annual budget of £5.1 million to combat poverty and social inequality. The fund also gives to organisations that aid children, one parent families, and multiple sclerosis research.[139] Rowling said, "I think you have a moral responsibility when you've been given far more than you need, to do wise things with it and give intelligently."

Rowling supports several charities   and assigns  some publishing royalties to them

“I seldom make the mistake of arguing with people for whose opinions I have no respect.” Edward Gibbon
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 6:48AM #5
costrel

Have you read her books? She is an author whose books were adapted for the screen. 

(And for those who know much more than I do, is she also a playwright or did someone else write the screenplays for the movie adaptations of her books?) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 8:10AM #6
Esdraelon

Mar 28, 2012 -- 11:39PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Mar 28, 2012 -- 10:38PM, solfeggio wrote:

Tells you a lot about greed doesn't it? Good for Ms. Rowling. Isn't that what life should be about, helping others? Making other peoples lives better? Leave the world better then you found it?

And no romney would not do. He doesn't even care if people die because they can't afford health insurance he sure as hell doesn't want to give them any money, making him only a multi millionare.

I agree, Rowling came out of a trailer park, did not forget what it was like......one can only spend so many millions in their lifetimes.....kudos to her!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 9:38AM #7
loveontheair

Mar 29, 2012 -- 6:48AM, costrel wrote:

Have you read her books? She is an author whose books were adapted for the screen. 

(And for those who know much more than I do, is she also a playwright or did someone else write the screenplays for the movie adaptations of her books?) 

Hello,

No I have *not read her books. While I enjoy Sci-Fi I'm not into witches and warlocks and that sort of entertainment. Harry Potter does not interest me at all.

love

*Edit

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 9:47AM #8
Esdraelon

Mar 29, 2012 -- 9:38AM, loveontheair wrote:

Mar 29, 2012 -- 6:48AM, costrel wrote:

Hello,

No I have read her books. While I enjoy Sci-Fi I'm not into witches and warlocks and that sort of entertainment. Harry Potter does not interest me at all.

love

I don't have any problem with movies with witches and warlocks, it's jsut a matter of suspending disbelief on them.....same with science fiction, especially Star Trek....love those...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:10AM #9
mytmouse57

I don't know what I'd do with a billion dollars.

Maybe give half away. And then take the rest to the Dollar Store, and by 500 million things... just to be an ass. Tongue Out

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 29, 2012 - 10:12AM #10
Esdraelon

Mar 29, 2012 -- 10:10AM, mytmouse57 wrote:

I don't know what I'd do with a billion dollars.

Maybe give half away. And then take the rest to the Dollar Store, and by 500 million things... just to be an ass. 

In that case, just buy the store....Undecided

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook