Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Andrea Yates--churchgoing pass?
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 8:31PM #1
DotNotInOz
Andrea Yates may soon be granted a 2-hour pass to begin attending church again as a first step toward eventual permanent release.

The church is described as "180 degrees" from the fire-and-brimstone one she and her ex-husband Rusty attended.

Church attendance pass for Yates?     

What do you think of the idea?   
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 8:38PM #2
REteach

I think she was crazy and while religion influenced how she expressed her crazy, the problem was that she was crazy.  I hope she has been able to receive effective treatment.  

Mental illness is under appreciated.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 8:56PM #3
DotNotInOz

She is someone that I think ought to be able to take on a new identity if she and her doctors feel that advisable.

I can't imagine the hell she may be put through by those convinced she knew what she was doing when she drowned her kids if she is eventually deemed well enough to be released permanently.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:16PM #4
Stardove

It is a touch call for sure.  I've had a daughter with psychosis during a manic episode, but she didn't kill anyone.  Basically she thought she had a hotline to God and was pregnant with a messiah. Thankfully, she is mood stable on her medications for bipolar disorder and has been for over 11 years.

Andrea, if ever released would certainly need to be monitored probably forever.  It's kind of ironic that the passes would be to go to church, since a church pushed her mentally over the edge or so we are told.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:33PM #5
mainecaptain

Mar 28, 2012 -- 9:16PM, Stardove wrote:

It is a touch call for sure.  I've had a daughter with psychosis during a manic episode, but she didn't kill anyone.  Basically she thought she had a hotline to God and was pregnant with a messiah. Thankfully, she is mood stable on her medications for bipolar disorder and has been for over 11 years.

Andrea, if ever released would certainly need to be monitored probably forever.  It's kind of ironic that the passes would be to go to church, since a church pushed her mentally over the edge or so we are told.

I am with you here. Church helped make her mental illness worse. I do not think it advisable for that to be her time away from prison.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 9:38PM #6
DotNotInOz

Not even, MC, if this church is a complete turnaround from the fundamentalist one (which I thought from descriptions at the time of the killings sounded little better than Westboro Baptist) that she and her ex attended?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:01PM #7
mainecaptain

Mar 28, 2012 -- 9:38PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Not even, MC, if this church is a complete turnaround from the fundamentalist one (which I thought from descriptions at the time of the killings sounded little better than Westboro Baptist) that she and her ex attended?

Yes her last church did sound really bad, and her husband no better. I guess I think in terms of PTSD, Trauma, Will it reawaken that in her? I don't know.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:07PM #8
mountain_man

The last I heard, all prisons have christian services. She can attend church in prison so there's no reason to let her out.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:08PM #9
loveontheair

Hello,

If it's just for a 2 hour pass, I'm ok with that. Nothing more, ever.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2012 - 10:11PM #10
Erey

I was actually just thinking about Andrea Yates earlier today. I do think about her occasionaly.   Her story is one that I find particularly haunting.

I just wish her some salvageability towards some kind of life, something.  I can't imagine.  If she is ever going to be released she is going to need some kind of support system and a church is often pretty good at filling that need, especially if her family is sort of scattered. 

As crazy as her former church might have been I am willing to bet my entire savings that they never insinuated or even hinted that she should kill her children. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 6  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook