Page 21 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Zimmerman: I was attacked first
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:23PM #201
Marcion

Mar 31, 2012 -- 6:03PM, teilhard wrote:

The only "Vigilante" in THIS Story was/is Mr. Zimmerman, AKA, "The Night Stalker" ..

Mar 31, 2012 -- 4:29PM, TPaine wrote:

Mar 31, 2012 -- 2:06PM, Marcion wrote:

I doubt this will satisfy the lynch mobs.

entertainment.verizon.com/news/read.php?...

So now people who want the case investigated by a grand jury or have Zimmerman tried by a jury of his peers are a lynch mob? I always though that the lynch mob members were the ones that approved of vigilantism.

Who will decide his peers? The jury from South Central LA certainly was not OJ's peers. OJ was an oreo who didn't become black until Cochran invented him.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:39PM #202
teilhard

IF Zimmerman is indicted, arrested, and tried I'm sure his TEAM of Lawyers will worry and complain about "pre-trial Publicity" ...

Mar 31, 2012 -- 7:23PM, Marcion wrote:

Mar 31, 2012 -- 6:03PM, teilhard wrote:

The only "Vigilante" in THIS Story was/is Mr. Zimmerman, AKA, "The Night Stalker" ..

Mar 31, 2012 -- 4:29PM, TPaine wrote:

Mar 31, 2012 -- 2:06PM, Marcion wrote:

I doubt this will satisfy the lynch mobs.

entertainment.verizon.com/news/read.php?...

So now people who want the case investigated by a grand jury or have Zimmerman tried by a jury of his peers are a lynch mob? I always though that the lynch mob members were the ones that approved of vigilantism.

Who will decide his peers? The jury from South Central LA certainly was not OJ's peers. OJ was an oreo who didn't become black until Cochran invented him.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 7:41PM #203
rabello

The OJ Simpson case has nothing to do with this case, proves nothing about this case.  Why are you trying to link the two?

If Zimmerman were to be tried -- and he won't be, the very most that might come out of this is a plea bargain with community service of some other cosemtic punishment -- but if he were to be tried, he would be judged by a jury of his peers --  his fellow citizens within that jurisdiction, regardless of skin color or ethnicity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 8:18PM #204
Stardove

Zimmerman should have never said anything to the officers at the scene without an attorney present. IMO.  It would seem to me the only reason Zimmerman was allowed to be licensed to carry was because of who is father was.  No proof, just an opinion and what I feel.  If he had been convicted of the charges he most likely would not have been licensed to carry.

I don't believe it is the gun laws which are bad, but the judgement of some who do not think before they act such as in this case.  It has been said over and over Zimmerman should not have approached Martin.  If Zimmerman had done what the dispatcher advised, not to follow and to meet the officers most likely Trayvon would have been inside the residence by the time the police arrived. ~ End of story.

As a CHL holder in a state with the Castle Law while taking the class to get CHL we were advised to never speak about what happened, if anything involving a handgun happened.  This didn't mean a firing of gun.  It could be even drawing a handgun, but not firing. It means anything where law enforcement officers are involved concerning carrying a handgun. I am required by law, if ever in a traffic stop to reveal I am a CHL holder.

I carry a card in my wallet which states, "To Any Law Enforcement Officers"

"The holder of this card is a client of Walker, Rice and & Wisdom, PC., and has hereby invoked their rights pursuant the 4th , 5th & 6th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution, Texas Constitution Art. 1 Sec. 9 & 10 and Texas Code of Crim. Pro 38.22.  Any questioning of the individual must be immediately suspended and shall be continued only in the presence of and with the advice of legal counsel."

I pray I never had to use the card or invoke my rights or in particular have to fire my gun (except for target practice at the firing range), but I do have a right to carry a concealed handgun on my person as long as I do not go into any places where carrying such is prohibited by law. 

The only reason I decided to get my CHL was because my husband kept asking me to do so.  I have yet to actually conceal and carry my gun, but then as long as I am in my area of the DFW metroplex I feel very safe. Yesterday, I did go to Fort Worth with my husband who does not have a CHL, but as long as I am with him that is all the protection I need.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 8:44PM #205
rabello

Even if I don't agree with them, the gun laws are what they are.  I can believe that the vast majority of gun owners are not Quick Draw McGraw's and carry responsibly.   It's the ones who don't that are the concern.

But, I do think the Stand Your Ground law is very problematic.  Probably the vast majority of supporters understand that it doesn't meet shoot first/ask questions later, but for those with preexisting character flaws, like Zimmerman, it is too wide-open to interpretation.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2012 - 9:35PM #206
DotNotInOz

Thing is, we still don't know if Zimmerman actually aimed and shot Martin. That there's no clear evidence he did may be why the DA said there was insufficient evidence to file charges.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 12:22AM #207
rabello

Mar 31, 2012 -- 9:35PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Thing is, we still don't know if Zimmerman actually aimed and shot Martin. That there's no clear evidence he did may be why the DA said there was insufficient evidence to file charges.

According to Zimmerman's own testimony, we know he shot Martin intentionally, claiming self defense.   He didn't say "the gun just went off during a struggle".   He said he shot him because he was in a life or death struggle.

Still, had the Sanford Police Dept conducted a forensic investigation when there was physical evidence to collect, immediately after the shooting as is normally done, they would have been able to determine with great probablility whether it was an accidental or intentional, point-blank shooting, mostly by analyzing the trajectory of the bullet in Miller's body.

The police spokesman said weeks ago that they couldn't arrest Zimmerman because of the Stand Your Ground law in Florida.   In spite of what other legal experts and the creators of the bill have said, the authorities in Sanford have never retracted that statement.  They take Zimmerman's word that he acted in self defense at face value and let it go at that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 5:52AM #208
river8101

It is completely obvious to those of us who either don't live in the south or those who don't live in states where carrying a handgun around is OK, or live in states where slavery was never permitted, and where we learned at home and in school that slavery was a horrible thing.  Nobody really believes one word Zimmerman has said, or that his lawyer has spoken.   He's lying, and should have been arrested immediately.  If he had killed a white boy, he'd have gone to jail right away, or if the shooter had been black, and the boy in the hoddie, white, the black shooter would have been put in jail immediately, or possibly murdered by the police on the spot, citing self defense.   

The south will never rid itself of it's disgusting history.  Yet they are the ones who brought the slaves in and used them in the first place, then started a horrible war with the north thinking they'd win, and could keep their black slaves.  Black slaves, people who could be bought, sold, raped, murdered, etc. and were not even thought of as human beings.  Many things have not changed in the south. They still have a lousy education system in many states.  They'd still love to have their slaves back again, and they still think they are superior to black people.  The Zimmerman case proves that.

“Faith is deciding to allow yourself to believe something your intellect would otherwise cause you to reject.”
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 6:39AM #209
arielg

I don't believe it is the gun laws which are bad, but the judgement of some who do not think before they act such as in this case.  It has been said over and over Zimmerman should not have approached Martin.  If Zimmerman had done what the dispatcher advised, not to follow and to meet the officers most likely Trayvon would have been inside the residence by the time the police arrived. ~ End of story.

The gun laws  make it easy  for  those who do not hink before they act .  There will always be Zimmermans who will act before  they think, because  the laws allow it. End of story.

(This is not relieving Zimmerman of his responsibility)

Praying that it won't happen or dismissing it as an anomaly is not enough.  If it can happen, it will happen, sooner or later.  We can't rationalize it  every time it happens and pretend it  is just  a "bad apple" and it won't happen again.

That is why we don't allow people to carry machine guns.  I am sure most people would  use good judgement with them, but we don't allow them because we know it will  not always be  the case. The rights of society are more important than the right of some individuals to carry them.

As long as people  are willing to carry deadly weapons, there will be dead people.  It is just common sense. We have to get rid of the nonsense that weapons are "protection".

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Apr 01, 2012 - 7:20AM #210
DotNotInOz

Apr 1, 2012 -- 5:52AM, river8101 wrote:

Nobody really believes one word Zimmerman has said, or that his lawyer has spoken.

This is clearly your opinion. I think at least some things Zimmerman said could very well be true, possibly most everything, but I'm not in a position to know or decide either one.

The south will never rid itself of it's disgusting history.  Yet they are the ones who brought the slaves in and used them in the first place, then started a horrible war with the north thinking they'd win, and could keep their black slaves.

You have a very mistaken understanding of American history. Slaves were kept by both Northerners and Southerners from the first.

And the North fired on Ft. Sumter which is regarded as the opening battle of the Civil War.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 21 of 27  •  Prev 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 27 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook