Page 4 of 76  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 76 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Unarmed Teen Shot By Neighborhood Watch Who Claims Self-Defense
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 9:02PM #31
mountain_man

Mar 19, 2012 -- 8:16PM, Esdraelon wrote:

"jesus loves you," "shot and killed a black teen that walked into his store to buy something."

You don't say??

I did say. That you don't believe me is not a concern of mine.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 9:05PM #32
mountain_man

Mar 19, 2012 -- 8:52PM, MysticWanderer wrote:

I don't know Dave's age but I grew up in the South, in the fifties and sixties and seventies.  I sent twenty of my best years in the South, but I also remember water fountains and restrooms labeled "Colored" and "White".  I also remember the fire hoses on the news and the Montgomery bus boycott.  I even remember multiple incidents of white on black homicide that even got to the juries and were acquitted.

I was stationed at NCTC Cory Field for 6 months while I went to Navy "A school." This was in the latter half of 1973.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 9:06PM #33
Esdraelon

Mar 19, 2012 -- 9:02PM, mountain_man wrote:

"jesus loves you," "shot and killed a black teen that walked into his store to buy something."

You don't say??

I did say. That you don't believe me is not a concern of mine.

Nor of mine, though I just point out that your 'saying' a Lot....

This time it IS good night...enjoyed the talk, notwithstanding...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 9:30PM #34
Larosser

[Er...how old are you anyway? Are you a reincarnation with memories of those fire hoses?

That's a tall tale......and a taallllll one....

I'm fifty. I remember my father coming home bleeding from a rock he took to the head while assisting folks to vote in Louisiana after the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

When they integrated my grade school, there were people out front throwing garbage at six year old black kids.

In my freshman year of college, the engineering building was festooned with graffitti suggesting in very blunt terms that african americans were not welcome.

When I entered the work force as an engineer, my district manager explained to me that he needed a minority worker, and he preferred a b-word to an n-word.

In 1998, here in Texas, a black man was murdered by dragging behind a pick up truck.

Is everyone in the south a racist? No.

Is racism alive and well in the south? Indisputably yes.

Justice should not depend on skin tone, but for many people it still does. Sad but true.

La

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 10:23PM #35
Esdraelon

[Er...how old are you anyway? Are you a reincarnation with memories of those fire hoses?

That's a tall tale......and a taallllll one....

Mar 19, 2012 -- 9:30PM, Larosser wrote:

I'm fifty. I remember my father coming home bleeding from a rock he took to the head while assisting folks to vote in Louisiana after the passage of the Civil Rights Act.

I can believe that. What is curious is that the Voting Rights Act  was a Republican led effort, introduced and authored by Sen. Everett Dirksen (R-IL). Upon passage, LBJ defied the majority of his party and signed the bill into law.

The Senate version:

Democratic Party: 46-21 (69%–31%)
Republican Party: 27-6 (82%–18%)

The Senate version, voted on by the House:

Democratic Party: 153-91 (63%–37%)
Republican Party: 136-35 (80%–20%)

Things have certainly changed.

When they integrated my grade school, there were people out front throwing garbage at six year old black kids.

I can only recount my own experiences growing up deep in south Georgia and middle Georgia then Augusta and I never witnessed such. I grew up with Native American's, Gypsies, and African-American friends. We were dirt poor, literally, the yards of both my friends and my family didn't have a blade of grass. It was hell after a rain.....

I never witnessed any of that.

In my freshman year of college, the engineering building was festooned with graffitti suggesting in very blunt terms that African Americans were not welcome.

I was in engineering also, never saw such, but at the time, the grade level was such that not many African-Americans enrolled.

When I entered the work force as an engineer, my district manager explained to me that he needed a minority worker, and he preferred a b-word to an n-word.

I can only shake my head in disgust.

In 1998, here in Texas, a black man was murdered by dragging behind a pick up truck.

Yes, the dragger's got their just deserts, if I recall, didn't they?

Is everyone in the south a racist? No.

true

Is racism alive and well in the south? Indisputably yes.

General racism? I don't believe so. Probably no more so as any other pocket of the US of A.

Justice should not depend on skin tone, but for many people it still does. Sad but true.

Thus it appears that the United States government is still complicit in such as it always has been.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 10:38PM #36
mountain_man

Mar 19, 2012 -- 10:23PM, Esdraelon wrote:

I can believe that. What is curious is that the Voting Rights Act  was a Republican led effort....

That was before the racist Southern Strategy, and an entirely different Republican party. Lately the Regressives have done all they could to get around the Voting Rights Act and prevent people of color and the poor from voting. The Regressives know that those groups are more likely to vote Democratic so they do everything they can to stop them.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 11:01PM #37
Erey

All this talk about racism and the south and horrible southern people, etc.

I suppose none of you considered, even for a nano-second that this Zimerman (who claims to be hispanic) did not shot the boy because of racist sentiments but rather because he was a parinoid nut-job and in his addled brain really felt he needed to do it for some kind of crime prevention measure?  No?  After all some of his neighboors had been voicing concerns over Zimmerman for awhile claiming he had been very aggressive with some of them.   At this time I can't speak to the racial make up of the other previously harrassed neighboors. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 4:45AM #38
CharikIeia

Mar 19, 2012 -- 11:01PM, Erey wrote:

I suppose none of you considered, even for a nano-second that this Zimerman (who claims to be hispanic) did not shot the boy because of racist sentiments but rather because he was a parinoid nut-job and in his addled brain really felt he needed to do it for some kind of crime prevention measure?  No? 

I don't see why the two would be different explanations, Erey.

I still have to meet a racist who is not a paranoid nut-job. Do you know one?

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 11:21AM #39
TemplarS

Well, the Feds are now involved:

www.cnn.com/2012/03/20/justice/florida-t...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 20, 2012 - 11:25AM #40
mountain_man

Mar 20, 2012 -- 11:21AM, TemplarS wrote:

Well, the Feds are now involved...

That's why Obama can't say much about it. The FBI reports directly to the Attorney General who reports to the president. Comments by the president could jeopardize the investigation and the outcome. The Justice Department is a bit different, but Obama has to keep quiet and not interfere at this time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 76  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 76 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook