Page 6 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 51 Next
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:37PM #51
teilhard

Yes, and People who eat ONLY Green Salads and Fresh Carrots have Difficulty getting certain Essential Amino Acids ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 11, 2012 - 11:54PM #52
mountain_man

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:32PM, solfeggio wrote:

A British study showed that women who consumed the most meat had a higher risk of developing breast cancer. ....

Then don't eat the most meat. Problem solved.

A vegetarian diet seems to be a cheap, physiological and safe approach for the prevention and possibly management of modern lifestyle diseases.

That is one approach. There are others that include meat. Nothing you've posted here shows otherwise.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 12:10AM #53
jane2

So much of this is too looney-tunes to take seriously.

Most of us on this board need no lists of studies, yada, yada to understand what is acceptable in our chosen diets. Info is omni-present.

Crusades do get old.................and boring !!!

I am old and eat very little anymore. Many days I "piece" as my 80 y-o grandmother called it --several small meals a day. I always include a bit of meat, poultry or seafood in a day's piecing. Some dairy is included--milk and yogurt. Even treat myself to lowfat chocolate milk--sometimes with a bit of Bailey's Irish Creme.

I certainly don't spend my days seeking out nutritional info I am well-aware of. Nor do I seek to promote some life-style.

Live, love and greet Life.

Don't be a sourpuss.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 12:13AM #54
jane2

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:54PM, mountain_man wrote:

A British study showed that women who consumed the most meat had a higher risk of developing breast cancer. ....

A vegetarian diet seems to be a cheap, physiological and safe approach for the prevention and possibly management of modern lifestyle diseases.

That is one approach. There are others that include meat. Nothing you've posted here shows otherwise.

I think Solf likes CHEAP--!!!!

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 12:19AM #55
teilhard

Good quality FRESH Fruits and Veggies are NOT "cheap" ...

Mar 12, 2012 -- 12:13AM, jane2 wrote:

Mar 11, 2012 -- 11:54PM, mountain_man wrote:

I think Solf likes CHEAP--!!!!

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 12:20AM #56
Mlyons619

So it's back to "Meat eaters are DAH-YUMMED to HAY-Yall," and "Becomer a VAY-GAN and YE SHALL BE SAVE-VED!" and discussion on pink slime go by the way side.

I rest my case...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 12:24AM #57
teilhard

And ... I'm still waiting to hear about "Green Slime" ...

Mar 12, 2012 -- 12:20AM, Mlyons619 wrote:

So it's back to "Meat eaters are DAH-YUMMED to HAY-Yall," and "Becomer a VAY-GAN and YE SHALL BE SAVE-VED!" and discussion on pink slime go by the way side.

I rest my case...

Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 12:42AM #58
Mlyons619

Again, soff, your veggan preaching is old news here.  Nobody's buying

But thanks for at least getting us back to the topic.

But, getting back to that additive known as pink slime -

If there's nothing wrong with it, why did the world's largest restaurant chain, McDonald's and other fast food chains drop it?

And why does the US Department of Agriculture think it's OK to feed it to the kids?

www.thelunchtray.com/

this question is being bashed about as we speak.  Of course the FDA is a federal agency and not near as answerable to the consumer as is Mickey D's...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 1:12AM #59
Svetlana

It is a fact that meat contains types of necessary proteins not found in any vegetation (I can't remember where I read that, so I can't provide the source, sorry).  Natural history tells us that those early humanoid species who were vegetarian died out, mostly due to malnutrition.  They just couldn't gather enough veggies to provide the necessary nutrition in enough time to eat it before needing more.  Meat is infinitely more efficient in providing nutrition, so meat-eating humans survived and reproduced.  (The idea that people like it only because they became used to it as babies is ridiculous.  People eat a lot of things as babies that they give up as soon as possible, regardless of how used to it they are.  Good grief, just ask any parent if such a thing is even possible!)

I've looked into life expectancy, and the jury is still out.  Some studies show that vegetarians and vegans have longer life spans, others say the opposite.  Until everyone is testing the same thing in the same way, we'll have to conclude that there isn't much difference, so that test doesn't work.

As to self-observation, hoo-boy!  Do NOT trust that!  Unless you are a doctor and perform a boatload of lab tests on yourself repeatedly, what you "observe" may be very misleading.  I am an insulin-dependent diabetic.  A normal blood-sugar level for everyone is about 100 mg/dL.  I feel my absolute best when my blood sugar is right around 300.  I'm energetic, alert, strong, upbeat, and headed for blindness, amputation, and the failure of pretty much all my organs.  Drunks feel their best when drunk, and you can't convince me that they're healthier in that state either.  Closer to the point, I can't count the number of people in my acquaintance who have said they'd tried vegetarian and vegan diets, but felt much better when they included a little meat every now and then.  They wanted the meat for the protein boost, not just the taste.  They "self-observed" that they felt better when eating meat, so there's self-observation for you.

The "pink-slime" panic struck when someone created a fictional video of its production.  The video was total hooey, went viral, and gullible people went berserk.  It is beef extracted from trimmings (extracted from the fat), treated with a minimum of ammonia, and perfectly safe in every way.  Packages of beef are already labeled "beef", so what are they supposed to add, another label saying "beef"?  Well, when people panic, they get unreasonable, so we'll have to cut them some slack until the furor dies down.

If you prefer not to eat meat, that's fine.  My daughter, who lives with us, is a vegetarian, an excellent cook, and we enjoy the dishes she makes very much.  She knows better, however, than to give us all that "vegetarian diets are SO much better" nonsense.  I've insisted she do her homework, so she knows it isn't true.  A diet with LESS nutrition cannot possibly be better, albeit it might be almost as good.  (On an individual note, she doesn't like ALL vegetables and knows she cannot get all the nutrition she needs from the relatively few she does eat, so she takes supplements to make up the deficiency.)  If you prefer meat, just let me know if I invite you, and I'll cook up a bunch of my daughter's recipes for you.  If you then complain that I am harming myself by eating meat myself, you will be factually wrong, and quite rude, too.  Vegetarian and vegan diets are DIFFERENT from omnivore diets, but there is no proof of any kind that they are any better.

(Oh, and PLEASE don't give the "everyone who says meat is healthy is in a vast conspiracy to profit from the lie" garbage.  Meat is expensive, but doesn't cost NEARLY enough to cover the pay-off for all those conspirators.  The accusation is absurd by itself, but when you include the "for profit" business, it becomes downright laughable.)

"No matter how big and bad you are, when a two-year-old hands you a toy phone, you answer it."  ~ (common sense)

"Never place a period where God has placed a comma."  ~ Gracie Allen

"I care not for a man's religion whose dog and cat are not the better for it." ~ Abraham Lincoln

"I wonder sometimes if we ever give God a headache." ~ Dontay Hall, age 8
Quick Reply
Cancel
2 years ago  ::  Mar 12, 2012 - 1:38AM #60
jane2

Mar 12, 2012 -- 12:39AM, solfeggio wrote:

Some posters, in particular mm, seem to have a real problem with a lifestyle devoid of meat (and pink slime), and you have to wonder what that's all about.  Others, like Jane, post opinions that are simply jejune and can be easily skimmed over.In any case, as arielg so correctly pointed out, people's obsession with meat in their diets (including pink slime) has everything to do with the cultural habits of a lifetime that they are loathe to discard.Even if scientific study after study has shown that the foods most people eat are really not good for them, the vast majority of people will keep eating them anyway.

Sorry, Solf, but one thing I'm not is jejune, m'dear. By your own account you have travelled the world but yoy have not ever been among those who truly in any endeavor really set the pace. Unlike you I have been. YOU present mulitple studies ad infinitum. One or two posters ascribre. Most write it off.

If there's nothing wrong with it, why did the world's largest restaurant chain, McDonald's and other fast food chains drop it?

PUBLICITY???  PR ???

And why does the US Department of Agriculture think it's OK to feed it to the kids?

www.thelunchtray.com/

I can let the USDA make the decision.

And most on this board are well able to make dietary choices that work in their lives.

And you have made a religion of promoting not much. Eat vegan--no one cares. Serve vegan snacks-no one cares.

You eschew traitional faiths an religioins--your choice but you are substituting one that suitd your beliefs.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 51  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 51 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook