Page 1 of 15  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View ADHD Overdiagnosed in Younger Kids
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 5:17PM #1
Ironhold
link

A study performed in British Columbia has determined that, of children in the same grade level, the younger they were the more likely they were to be misidentified as having ADHD.

The study was done in British Columbia due to the fact that regarding school ages, the calendar is the typical January - December calendar (rather than September - May as in most place in the US).

Students who were born closer to December were more likely to be misdiagnosed as students who were born closer to January, suggesting that the children might simply be slightly less mature than their peers due to being slightly younger.

Anyone else really just think that most ADHD cases are bogus anyway?
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 5:58PM #2
teilhard

Yes ...

For a While, "The Diagnosis-of-The-Week" was "Eating Disorders," and for a While "Multiple Personality" was ALL the Rage, "Repressed Memories of Abuse" were a BIG Deal not that long ago, while these Days "Clinical Depression" has remained VERY Popular ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 6:38PM #3
CharikIeia

What you speak of, Teilhard, has more to do with the medical progress of identifying a symptomatic pattern as belonging to a disease with a label whoch previously was just non-categorised and hence spread all over the place but lacking a label.

And less with fashion waves, as you make it sound.

When racial segregation was abolished in the 60s, this wasn't a fashion wave either, after all. It's just progress towards truth - here medical, there social.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 6:43PM #4
teilhard

No ...

Over-Diagnosis when a Diagnosis becomes "fashionable" is now an identifiable TREND ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 6:57PM #5
mountain_man

Mar 5, 2012 -- 5:17PM, Ironhold wrote:

...Anyone else really just think that most ADHD cases are bogus anyway?

I don't know about "most" but I will go along with "many". I know of at least one mother that pushed the doctor to diagnose her son, an active little boy, so she could be in the same circle of friends that her friend was in - all with ADHD. Hopefully, that's an isolated case. Another mother sounded boastful, like she was a martyr, whenever she talked about her "special needs" child that was diagnosed with ADHD. Her boy was active, but in no way "special needs." Another child I know was "diagnosed" by a 3rd grade teacher. How the HELL! can a person with a two year degree make a medical diagnosis. She insisted the boy (almost always boys) be put on drugs. Instead of drugging their child into submission, the parents moved the boy to another school where he did great.

My point is that it is not always the doctors diagnosing ADHD. Sometimes it's the parents, or others, pushing for it.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 7:18PM #6
jane2

I think it is dangerous to jump on bandwagons, even those going in opposite directions.

I have a nephew, now in his mid-thirties, who was and is ADHD. With good counselling and an outstanding guidance counsellor he has done well--a degree in mechanical engineering from RPI. This nephew took the back off the family console tv when he was two !!

I have a grannddaughter with ADD and her parents resisted all medication but not counselling. That very ADD makes her an incredible artist able to concentrate her attention to detail. She is preparing her portfolio for art school.

Truthfully, I am usually underwhelmed by this study or that.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 7:55PM #7
Erey

I do believe in ADHD but I also believe there are plenty of over diagnosis going on too. 

There are a few people I know diagnosed with ADHD that did not have it but had something different.  One young man had an occular disorder (who would have thunk that?).   He attended therapy to rewire how his eyes moved and rest on objects and he was right as rain after that.

Taking ADHD medication will make you incredibly hyper and racy if you don't really need it.  My son has ADHD but here is the thing, before he was diagnosed I too thought it was a load of crap.  Then I was forced to confront it and I realized he got it from me.  Like alot of girls with attention problems I was not a consistent behavioral problem but I was a classic ADD undiagnosed girl.  I still have problems with attention but around the age of 24 I shifted and was able to seize control.  My friends say I have a unusual perspective, not sure if that is from ADD.    Anyway my poor son got it from me, also dysgraphia.  But there are great things about us too.

I think the problem with attention problems today is that kids have so many more interesting things to focus on than school.  So many distractions and so much more school work.  I hardly think it is indicative of problematic attention that a kid does not want to do several hours of homework a night. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 10:32PM #8
REteach

ADHD is a neurotransmitter problem.  Just because not everyone on stimulants has ADHD does not mean that ADHD is not real. Some genes have actually been identified.  

sheesh. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 05, 2012 - 10:47PM #9
jane2

Mar 5, 2012 -- 10:32PM, REteach wrote:

ADHD is a neurotransmitter problem.  Just because not everyone on stimulants has ADHD does not mean that ADHD is not real. Some genes have actually been identified.  

sheesh. 

This isn't news, RE.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 06, 2012 - 12:08AM #10
Mlyons619

...Anyone else really just think that most ADHD cases are bogus anyway...?

Nope.  ADHD is a real syndrome with recognizable symptoms.  Requires a neurologist to diagnose. 

Whether it's OVER-diagnosed is an issue with the medical profession. 

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 15  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook