Page 10 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next
Switch to Forum Live View ADHD Overdiagnosed in Younger Kids
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 1:32PM #91
REteach

Mar 15, 2012 -- 8:18AM, teilhard wrote:

BTW it's easy to misdiagnose ADHD, especially in young kids, but to misdiagnose bi-polar disorder?  Come on!  You must've had a SERIOUSLY incompetent doc, seeing that bipolar disorder is a chemical and physiological condition of the brain.   Both conditions BTW are serious enough to warrant a second opinion to ensure a proper diagnosis is being made.

There is a big debate in child psych right now whether there is such as thing as rapidly alternating BAD in kids.  I think the debate is starting to swing away from it. Generally what I see is parents asking for that diagnosis.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 15, 2012 - 2:25PM #92
teilhard

This isn't my "First Rodeo" ... I've around long enough to remember -- vividly -- supposedly knowledgeable Talk about the infamous ""Schizophrenogenic Mother" ... and how "Gay" Boys were developed as such by "Distant" or "Effeminate" Fathers ...

Psychiatrists, Psychologists, Social Workers, et al., can be VERY helpful and also very HARMFUL ... These aren't SIMPLE Questions ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 4:13PM #93
Mlyons619

This isn't my first rodeo either.  You talk of "Schizophrenogenic Mothers" and Gay" Boys being developed as by "Distant" or "Effeminate" Fathers? 

Where are you getting all this? 

I've work with pediatricians, pcychologists, social workers, and the like, and I have not heard of any of these...

"No freedom without education"
            --Thomas Jefferson

"NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition"
            -- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 4:53PM #94
teilhard

Those were Ideas from The Past -- ca. 1950s ...

Mar 19, 2012 -- 4:13PM, Mlyons619 wrote:

This isn't my first rodeo either.  You talk of "Schizophrenogenic Mothers" and Gay" Boys being developed as by "Distant" or "Effeminate" Fathers? 

Where are you getting all this? 

I've work with pediatricians, pcychologists, social workers, and the like, and I have not heard of any of these...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 5:35PM #95
Erey

I agree Teilhard that a parent should use their best judgement and follow their instinct.  But the parent needs to deliberatly put their ego aside and make sure they are operating out of the best interest for the child.

I have known a few parents where the child was suffering and the parent (IMO) because of ego reasons would not consider ADD medications.  You have to really make sure you are making choices based on what you think is best and not on some self image concern. 

I have known a few kids that have endured a gauntlet of diagnosis and each one get dismised.  It happens

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 6:10PM #96
Mlyons619

We knew a HECKUVA lot less back in the 50's than we do now.

There was no such thing as Special Ed - or the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act back then.

If I was condemning Cancer Docs for a bad diagnoses in the 50s, I would be condemning on VERY OLD andf OUT OF DATE info, woyuldn't I?

We SpEd types are kept pretty well up to snuff with and current our professional reading.  I'd imagine most docs even more so...

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 7:15PM #97
teilhard

Yes ... EVERY Decade and EVERY Year in Medical Science is always THE Most-"Modern" EVER ... which means that (given our collective PAST Mistakes and mis-Diagnoses and faulty Ideas and Notions) we do BEST to be cautious, open-Minded, and NOT necessarily just "take The Expert's WORD for it" just on Basis that (s)he IS an Expert ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 8:18PM #98
Mlyons619

Is that not true in ANY endeavor?

Most people do their best based upon what we know.  We're learning new things all the time..  What we'll know in 20 years about ADHD will probably be light ywars from what we know NOW.

Unfortunately, experts must go with what we know NOW...

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 8:20PM #99
Mlyons619

BTW folks don't have to go with what the "experts" say if diagnosed with lung cancer - they can go with meditation or home remedies.

I wouldn't bet on their survival, however...

--Thomas Jefferson

-- Monty Python
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 19, 2012 - 8:36PM #100
farragut

That was not a good analogy.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 10 of 15  •  Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 15 Next