Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Santorum: Obama Follows "Some Phony Theology"
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 3:13PM #1
TPaine
During a speech before a Tea Party speech in Columbas, Ohio on February 18th Santorum said to applause from the crowd, “It’s about some phony ideal, some phony theology. Oh, not a theology based on the Bible, a different theology, but no less a theology.” This comes on the heels of his response to a woman supporter's question during a speech in Florida, “He is an avowed Muslim and my question is, why isn’t something being done to get him out of our government?” Unlike John McCain in 2008 who corrected a woman's similar question, Santorum simply said, "I’m doing everything I can to get him out of the government.” Link 1

In a recently re-discovered speech Santorum said that "We all know that this country was founded on a Judeo-Christian ethic but the Judeo-Christian ethic was a Protestant Judeo-Christian ethic, sure the Catholics had some influence, but this was a Protestant country and the Protestant ethic, mainstream, mainline Protestantism, and of course we look at the shape of mainline Protestantism in this country and it is in shambles, it is gone from the world of Christianity as I see it. " (bolding in original post) Link 2

I can see where one could agree with a comment in a Think Progress blog that says, "Santorum appears to be on a mission to be a one-man Council of Trent, the 16th Century Catholic ecumenical council that defined Protestants as heretics." Link 3

IMO, the last thing we need is a theocrat in the Oval Office.

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 3:51PM #2
TemplarS

Feb 20, 2012 -- 3:13PM, TPaine wrote:

IMO, the last thing we need is a theocrat in the Oval Office.

Amen to that.

Of course, Santorum has since amended his statement:

"I wasn't suggesting the president's not a Christian," Santorum said on CBS's "Face the Nation." "I accept the fact that the president is a Christian."

But of course he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. He speaks to a Tea party rally, he says one thing; he speaks to the mainstream media, he says something else; but the damage is done (or, rather, from his perspective, the benefits achieved).

As for Protestants, he isn't one and has no idea what he is talking about (which will not deter those who support him, who don't know what they are talking about either). The so-called "Protestant ethic" was Calvinist, which is about as far as you can get theologically from Catholicism (which is what he claims to be).   The fact is, among all the diversity of theological and ethical issues at play in various strains of Christianity, what you have today are hardline rightwingers in various churches picking two issues alone as the basis for this new unified version of orthodoxy which they have invented.  Where such views have gained predominance among the leadership, you have things like Jimmy Carter (about whom you can question many things, but not his Christianity) leaving the Southern Baptists. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 4:06PM #3
TemplarS

I might also point out that to speak of some coherent "Protestant"  theology or ideology is nonsense.  All "Protestant" signifies is a Christian who is  not some other more well-defined type of Christian.  Not Catholic, not Orthodox, not Mormon, et cetera. 

In many ways there are more differences between a Methodist and a Baptist, or a Lutheran and a Pentacostal, than there are between a Methodist and a Catholic or a Lutheran and a Catholic. 

The man does not know what he is talking about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 4:07PM #4
mountain_man

From what I know of Christianity; it's Santorum's beliefs that are not based on anything Jesus had to say.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 4:22PM #5
TemplarS

Feb 20, 2012 -- 4:07PM, mountain_man wrote:

From what I know of Christianity; it's Santorum's beliefs that are not based on anything Jesus had to say.

Since:

1) Jesus had nothing to say on the two specific issues of concern to the right, and

2) Jesus had plenty to say against the wealthy for whom the right are apologists

I would judge you to be correct. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 4:36PM #6
mytmouse57

Of course, the underlying problem here, isn't so much that Obama isn't a Muslim -- because the correct answer to the question should be, "Well, so what if he were a Muslim? Plenty of Americans are."

Personally, I think that people such as the lady who asked that question should be obligated to spend a day with a Muslim family who have had one or more members in the armed services -- or especially a family who had somebody come home wounded, or not at all -- thus giving her ample opportunity to explain to them exactly how and why they are "un-American" and perhaps even a threat to the country simply by existing. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 5:02PM #7
mountain_man

Feb 20, 2012 -- 4:22PM, TemplarS wrote:

Since:

1) Jesus had nothing to say on the two specific issues of concern to the right, and

2) Jesus had plenty to say against the wealthy for whom the right are apologists

I would judge you to be correct.

Santorum would have been one of the money changers. Then there is that eye of the needle bit. It's pretty obvious, even to an Atheist, that Santorum is the one not following the bible.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 5:04PM #8
mountain_man

Feb 20, 2012 -- 4:36PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

....Personally, I think that people such as the lady who asked that question should be obligated to spend a day with a Muslim family who have had one or more members in the armed services -- or especially a family who had somebody come home wounded, or not at all -- thus giving her ample opportunity to explain to them exactly how and why they are "un-American" and perhaps even a threat to the country simply by existing.

All one has to do is look around and listen. They'll see that extremist christians like Santorum are more of a threat to our country and society than any Muslim.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 5:14PM #9
Girlchristian

Santorum is an idiot and is completely catering to the small percentage of extreme Christians that follow him. I'm more concerned with his ill-informed and ridiculous statement that prenatal testing is done to encourage abortions.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 5:21PM #10
TPaine

Feb 20, 2012 -- 4:07PM, mountain_man wrote:

I agree, Dave. Conservative Republicons certainly don't seem to agree with what Jesus is quoted as saying:

34 But when the Pharisees heard that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered themselves together.
35 One of them, [n]a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him,
36 “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
37 And He said to him, “ ‘YOU SHALL LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART, AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL, AND WITH ALL YOUR MIND.’
38 This is the great and [o]foremost commandment.
39 The second is like it, ‘YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF.’
40 On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets.” (Matthew 22:34-40 NASB)

and

1 When Jesus saw the crowds, He went up on the mountain; and after He sat down, His disciples came to Him.
2 He opened His mouth and began to teach them, saying,
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.
5 “Blessed are the gentle, for they shall inherit the earth.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.
7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.
8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.
9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.
10 “Blessed are those who have been persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
11 “Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me.
12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." (Matthew 5:2-12 NASB)

From what I hear from conservatives they seem to believe:

Blessed are those who are think that those who disagree with them are wrong
Blessed are those who demand that everyone must follow their beliefs
Blessed are those who believe that their opponents don't deserve mercy
Blessed are those who believe everyone must be pure of heart except them
Blessed are those who believe the best way to resolve international disputes is war
Blessed are those who whine and cry that they are persecuted even though they're not
Rejoice because we're going to heaven and those who disagree with us are going to hell

"It is always to be taken for granted, that those who oppose an equality of rights never mean the exclusion should take place on themselves." -- Thomas Paine: Dissertations on First Principles of Government (July 7, 1795)
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 11  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook