Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 10:45AM #11
mountain_man

Feb 20, 2012 -- 7:09AM, costrel wrote:

Avatar 2 is supposed to be about an exploration of Pandora's oceans. Click here for a January 6, 2012, article from MTV about Sam Worthington's nervousness about filming the underwater scenes. I agree with those who say that Avatar was visually pretty, but that the plot and character development were weak, predictable, and stereotypical. (Of course, I don't have much respect for films anymore -- I saw a few this summer and fall, and I am not impressed. I'll stick to reading books, preferrably books written before 1945, since even books written after 1945 are mostly forgettable trash.)

Don't forget that those books, in audio form, can be gotten for free at Librivox.org.

As for the plot, they already covered the Boy Gets Girl part along with Good vs Evil. Since he already got the girl they'll have to repeat the GvE part. I don't see Coming of Age as part of the plot. (All movies or books are based on those 3 themes.) The evil mining company, or some other resource exploiter, will try to do something, they'll be slowed down by the natives, regroup, and then be defeated. The plot twist will be that someone from the evil company will defect.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 10:58AM #12
TemplarS

Oh, sure, Steven Seagall redux.  On Deadly Ground, The Fire Down Below...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 1:46PM #13
mytmouse57

Feb 20, 2012 -- 12:09AM, mountain_man wrote:

I hope any sequel has a better plot and story line than the first. The special effects were great, but that's about it. I had the whole plot figured out in the first 10 minutes. But, alas, sequels are well known for not being as good as the original.

The plot was basically "Dances with Wolves."

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 2:08PM #14
solfeggio

In case anybody is interested, the Weta Workshop in Wellington is named after an insect, the weta, which looks like this:

www.doc.govt.nz/conservation/native-anim...

You don't often see wetas in the wild, because they tend to like to stay under bushes, but in wet weather they come out, and you might find one in your shoe or even in a jacket pocket.  It's quite a surprise, of course, but they're quite harmless.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 3:08PM #15
mountain_man

Feb 20, 2012 -- 1:46PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

The plot was basically "Dances with Wolves."

A recurring theme in literature. DwW was not the first defector turned hero. Prometheus is the oldest I can think of. He was a god, a Titan, that stole fire, aka knowledge, from Zeus and gave it to humans.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 3:09PM #16
mountain_man

Feb 20, 2012 -- 2:08PM, solfeggio wrote:

...It's quite a surprise, of course, but they're quite harmless.

And quite tasty from what I hear.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 3:15PM #17
farragut

"And quite tasty from what I hear."

I wonder. From here they look just like camel-back crickets.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 3:28PM #18
mindis1

Feb 20, 2012 -- 7:09AM, costrel wrote:

I'll stick to reading books, preferrably books written before 1945, since even books written after 1945 are mostly forgettable trash.

Don’t overlook Saul Bellow. Great first lines: “If I am out of my mind, it’s all right with me, thought Moses Herzog.”

Don’t over look Jorie Graham.  www.poemhunter.com/jorie-graham/poems/

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 4:14PM #19
mountain_man

Feb 20, 2012 -- 3:15PM, farragut wrote:

"And quite tasty from what I hear."

I wonder. From here they look just like camel-back crickets.

Excepte the weta is HUGE! The giant weta can be over 8 inches long.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 6:40PM #20
mytmouse57

Goofy plot or not, I'll probably go see the new Avatar when it comes out.

I'm a sucker for those eye-popping 3D effects. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 3  •  Prev 1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook