Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2012 - 8:35PM #1
solfeggio

Ok, now.  This is important stuff, so pay attention.  James Cameron is going to shoot the Avatar sequels right here in New Zealand, with special effects being done in our capitol city of Wellington.

www.imdb.com/news/ni22091639/

www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/business/6...

This is, of course, good news for us in our teeny little island nation, because it will means jobs for people and money coming into the country, which will be very welcome in these trying times.  

First the Rugby World Cup 2011, and now this.  Oh, joy.

Here are some photos:

blandforddailyphoto.blogspot.co.nz/2011/...

www.wellingtonnz.com/sights_activities/m...

maps.google.co.nz/maps/place?pq=te+papa&... 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2012 - 9:20PM #2
mainecaptain

Well....Congratulations!!!

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2012 - 9:43PM #3
rabello

I am pretty sure that the New Zealand based special effect group, WETA -- the ones who did the special effects work for The Lord of the Rings triology, did the special effects for the first Avatar movie.  I'm not a real fan of the Avatar movie, but it was visually beautiful, and I'm glad it'll be New Zealand.  The landscape for Middle Earth on screen was (is) beautiful.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2012 - 10:32PM #4
MMarcoe

Feb 19, 2012 -- 8:35PM, solfeggio wrote:

Ok, now.  This is important stuff, so pay attention.  James Cameron is going to shoot the Avatar sequels right here in New Zealand, with special effects being done in our capitol city of Wellington.

This is, of course, good news for us in our teeny little island nation, because it will means jobs for people and money coming into the country, which will be very welcome in these trying times.  

Here are some photos:

Here in America, New Zealand has a reputation as a paradise on earth, an unspoiled land of great beauty.

You'll probably get more big movies shot there in the years ahead.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2012 - 10:45PM #5
farragut

" New Zealand has a reputation"

Yeah, it's a great place, huge population of sheep. You can eat lamb or mutton every day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 19, 2012 - 11:34PM #6
jane2

My son was introduced to Tolkein when he was 8 with a gift from his best friend in Bangkok, another American. He and his wife and his children love fantasy.

AVATAR is not on my radar, but I can be happy for NZ, which I doubt is a paradise, however. My husband and I did spend a week in Bali, very idyllic, in the 70's. Indonesia is not paradise.  We also spent time with our children on the beaches of Thailand. I Love Thailand, where I lived for 2 years, but it isn't paradise either.

Northern Georgia, USA, has also become a small Mecca for filming--great for our economy.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 12:09AM #7
mountain_man

I hope any sequel has a better plot and story line than the first. The special effects were great, but that's about it. I had the whole plot figured out in the first 10 minutes. But, alas, sequels are well known for not being as good as the original.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 3:39AM #8
shmuelgoldstein

Feb 19, 2012 -- 8:35PM, solfeggio wrote:

Here are some photos:

I wonder if the crew is going to do the Haka before filming?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 4:52AM #9
rangerken

I hope people in New Zealand make lots of money and that the movie is decent. One New Zealand production I have been thoroughly enjoying is Spartacus...first Blood and Sand, then Gods of the Area, and now Vengeance.

What I sometimes think about is that a lot of what we enjoy watching today not only was not made decades ago, but would have gotten people thown in jail if they had made it.

Anyway...any predictions about the new Avatar? Anyone want to guess about plot lines etc???

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Feb 20, 2012 - 7:09AM #10
costrel

Feb 20, 2012 -- 4:52AM, rangerken wrote:

Anyway...any predictions about the new Avatar? Anyone want to guess about plot lines etc???

Avatar 2 is supposed to be about an exploration of Pandora's oceans. Click here for a January 6, 2012, article from MTV about Sam Worthington's nervousness about filming the underwater scenes. I agree with those who say that Avatar was visually pretty, but that the plot and character development were weak, predictable, and stereotypical. (Of course, I don't have much respect for films anymore -- I saw a few this summer and fall, and I am not impressed. I'll stick to reading books, preferrably books written before 1945, since even books written after 1945 are mostly forgettable trash.) 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook