Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View People freaking out over large insect.....
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 12:41AM #1
mountain_man
Why?

Here's the story.

I don't see the problem with an 8 inch long cricket. Just fry it with a little butter, garlic, maybe some mushrooms, and it will taste just like lobster.
Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 10:58AM #2
REteach

Eating it would be cruel.  Let it stay in its own habitat and eat carrots!  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 11:12AM #3
mountain_man

Dec 3, 2011 -- 10:58AM, REteach wrote:

I'm not going to fly to New Zealand to eat an insect.... but if one shows up in my yard; it's lunch. Well, maybe the second one to show up. The first would be added to my collection.

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.   Isaac Asimov
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 11:24AM #4
REteach

I have this image of an insect head mounted on the wall next to a deer and a moose rack...

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 11:46AM #5
mountain_man

Dec 3, 2011 -- 11:24AM, REteach wrote:

I have this image of an insect head mounted on the wall next to a deer and a moose rack...

Close. I do have some in frames on the wall. Most of those are (captive bred) common butterfly species from South America. An insect as large as this one would be a challange to mount.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 11:56AM #6
IreneAdler

Wow!

Shouldn't that critter be on a leash or something?

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 1:22PM #7
mountain_man

Dec 3, 2011 -- 11:56AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Wow!

Shouldn't that critter be on a leash or something?

It would probably take off with you and the leash.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 1:43PM #8
mainecaptain

Couldn't agree more :)

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 2:25PM #9
mountain_man

Dec 3, 2011 -- 1:43PM, mainecaptain wrote:

Couldn't agree more :)

Then it would starve since carrots are not part of it's native habitat. This cricket is from New Zealand and carrots are from Europe, half a world away.

But, if you do find yourself with a bunch of crickets you don't know what to do with; make some Chocolate Chip Chirpie Cookies. They are good, I've baked several batches myself. Insects are good to eat; there's about 170 million insects per person, they breed fast, and are high in nutrition.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Dec 03, 2011 - 2:31PM #10
Stardove

The biggest bug to be photographed is not the biggest bug of it's kind.  I read that yesterday.  Also the bug was thought to be extinct... well it's not.  After feeding some of the carrot to the bug it was let go.

And I thought Texas grasshoppers were big...guess not everything in Texas is bigger. Surprised

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove

People change for two main reasons: either their minds have been opened or their hearts have been broken.
---Anonymous

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook