3 years ago  ::  Nov 20, 2011 - 7:58PM #1
Marcion
Can we have a thread dedicated to science without the religion nonsense being attached.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2011 - 1:26AM #2
rangerken

Marcion, you asked...

"Can we have a thread dedicated to science without the religion nonsense being attached?"

The answer is YES!

Go ahead and give one a try here, Marcion. There does not happen to be a spcific forum on Beliefnet dedicated to just science and we're not going to begin one.

So, this forum will suffice. We'll simply say that the forum title, 'Science & Religion' may mean...

1. Science as it relates to religion....lots of threads alrerady

2. Religion as it relates to science.....lots of threads already

3. Science, period....give it a try

Rangerken, Beliefnet Community Moderator (aka Phd Analytical Inorganic Chemistry)

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2011 - 12:10PM #3
Marcion

Nov 21, 2011 -- 1:26AM, rangerken wrote:

Marcion, you asked...

"Can we have a thread dedicated to science without the religion nonsense being attached?"

The answer is YES!

Go ahead and give one a try here, Marcion. There does not happen to be a spcific forum on Beliefnet dedicated to just science and we're not going to begin one.

So, this forum will suffice. We'll simply say that the forum title, 'Science & Religion' may mean...

1. Science as it relates to religion....lots of threads alrerady

2. Religion as it relates to science.....lots of threads already

3. Science, period....give it a try

Rangerken, Beliefnet Community Moderator (aka Phd Analytical Inorganic Chemistry)

Thanks Ken.

A forum with posters knowledgeable in science would be a major relief. Posting on other threads can be frustrating to say the least.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 21, 2011 - 4:22PM #4
teilhard

Yes, please ... !!!

My own deepest Scientific Interests are in Life Science and Earth Science ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2011 - 8:57AM #5
JRT

My education was in nuclear physics and mathematics.

My career was in mathematics and physics education.

Since retirement my avocation is history, bible scholarship, life and earth sciences.

the floggings will continue until morale improves
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2011 - 11:13AM #6
teilhard

So let's get to the Good Stuff, then ...

It passed almost without a lot of Notice and certainly without much Fuss just a few Days ago -- a fairly large Space Rock crossed Earth's Orbit within the Orbit of The Moon ... 

It was a Dark Asteroid, so hard to see ... I'm not clear how recently it was first detected and tracked, but I think not long ago ...

As these Rocks and Comets are found and tracked in ever greater Numbers, we are increasingly aware of how MANY are "out there" and how important it is to find them and begin to plan for an Intervention when the inevitable BAD One approaches ...

One of the interesting Puzzles about that Question is that it has become obvious that those Near Earth Objects and far-flung Oort Cloud Exiles are NOT all alike ... Some are apparently relatively loosely consolidated Agglomerations of Rubble while others are Rock-Solid ... The Bits and Pieces "out There" turn out to be far more interestingly varied than we had first imagined, based mostly on Fallen Meteorites ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2011 - 2:03PM #7
d_p_m
Isn't that usually the case - the more we know the more complicated and interesting the details... but often with very simple or elegant underlying causes.

We should find some interesting variations as we begin to actually get physical investigations of asteroids going.
"If you aren't confused by quantum physics, you haven't really understood it."

― Niels Bohr

"As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not certain, as far as they are certain, they do not refer to reality."

-- Albert Einstein
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 25, 2011 - 10:27PM #8
teilhard

If Things go as hoped, The Mars Rover "Curiosity" will launch tomorrow, arriving at Mars in August, 2012 ...

I have been VERY happy through the Years to follow The Adventures of previous Mars Landers -- Viking 1 & 2, Sojourner Rover, Rovers Spirit and Opportunity, and The Phoenix Lander ...

I am old enough to remember VIVIDLY the Excitement and Terror of the first Instrument Soft-Landings on The Moon ... We have come a long Way and GONE a long Way too ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 26, 2011 - 10:52AM #9
teilhard

Safely launched this Morning ...

(Please, Dear "God" -- when "Curiosity" arrives on Mars, I hope (s)he doesn't discover any CATS there ... !!!)

;-)

Nov 25, 2011 -- 10:27PM, teilhard wrote:

If Things go as hoped, The Mars Rover "Curiosity" will launch tomorrow, arriving at Mars in August, 2012 ...

I have been VERY happy through the Years to follow The Adventures of previous Mars Landers -- Viking 1 & 2, Sojourner Rover, Rovers Spirit and Opportunity, and The Phoenix Lander ...

I am old enough to remember VIVIDLY the Excitement and Terror of the first Instrument Soft-Landings on The Moon ... We have come a long Way and GONE a long Way too ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 28, 2011 - 2:15AM #10
Wanderingal

Biological and Medical sciences here.

BTW--did you hear about those ginormous and really cool solar storms that are sending solar flares our way?

Possibility of dsruptions of satellite communications--IE--credit cards don't work--ditto for ATM
cards--all because the satellite people are too cheap to put adequate shields on their satellites.

Check out weather sites for the fantastic video of the storms and flares.

(weird tech glitch--I have typed the post in correct paragraph format--but the site posts it as a broken paragraph. I wonder why?

And what other glitches are headed our way.)

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook