Page 4 of 21  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Penn State Scandal Prompts Accusations
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:03PM #31
Wanderingal

Nov 9, 2011 -- 10:54PM, jane2 wrote:

Just watched the Penn State spokesman on Lawrence O'Donnel's "Last Word".

Penn State admin is scapegoating Coach Paterno for the university's malfeasance. Let the investigation go forward into that malfeasance. Big money, big contracts, yada,yada.

More than one person or entity can be guilty.

In this case there is plenty of guilt to go around.

The fsct that the university is guilty of possible MIS-feasance and NON-feasance does not necessarily make Joe any less morally guilty for his failure to do everything he could to protect the victims.

Doing the very LEAST when vulnerable children's welfare is at stake is not anything to brag about or be congratulated for,

(Are you really trying to excuse Ole Joe for not even making a follow-up phone call to find out what had been done to protect the child?)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:07PM #32
Do_unto_others

Nov 9, 2011 -- 10:49PM, jane2 wrote:

Nov 9, 2011 -- 10:16PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Could someone tell me why a college football coach earns $1million+ salary? What does a lecturer at Penn State earn?

The world has its priorities all wrong.

Actually Coach Paterno earned a bit over $500,000, probably well within scope.

My daughter made over $300,000 as a research analyst for the building industry in California before the bank scams. She earned it.

According to today's St. Petersburg Times it is well over a million. and according to this: www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts..., it is $1.5 million.

And I STILL say the coaches' salaries are whacked compared to TEACHERS, and PROFESSORS. Not saying your daughter didn't earn it NOR that she isn't worth it. I was comparing salaries within the walls of academe.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:09PM #33
Girlchristian

Could someone tell me why a college football coach earns $1million+ salary? What does a lecturer at Penn State earn?

Because students and fans spend a lot of money (millions) to see the games, buy the team's gear, etc...?

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:09PM #34
loveontheair

Hello,

As MMarcoe has posted on US N&P forum...Paterno is fired.

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:09PM #35
Wanderingal

A college football coach in our area got fired for being a rotten coach and he walked off with a golden parachute of a MILLION dollars.

These guys supposedly make a lot of money for the colleges and thst's supposed to justify the salaries.

The truth is that the money gets plowed right back into the STHLETIC DEARTMENT--usually into the football program--and NOT to the library for books for all etc......

I did s big report on these practices during the NCAA scandals a few years ago.

(The really big money that teh coaches make is from endorsements of athletic equipment. That's why you see all thsoe ads around arenas and football fields.

Our previous basketball coach make over $2 million dollars per year in endorsements from Nike alone.

And he had endorsement deals with five or six other companies as well.)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:13PM #36
Girlchristian

Nov 9, 2011 -- 11:09PM, Wanderingal wrote:

A college football coach in our area got fired for being a rotten coach and he walked off with a golden parachute of a MILLION dollars.

These guys supposedly make a lot of money for the colleges and thst's supposed to justify the salaries.

The truth is that the money gets plowed right back into the STHLETIC DEARTMENT--usually into the football program--and NOT to the library for books for all etc......

I did s big report on these practices during the NCAA scandals a few years ago.

Money that goes into the athletic department also supports women's sports and the smaller sports that wouldn't be able to sustain themselves without the help and therefore wouldn't be available to students.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:16PM #37
Wanderingal

Nope.

In most departments the money the team makes from things like bowl games etc goes right back into THAT program only. The line about "supporting women's athletic programs etc" is just that--a line.

To get that info though you really have to look closely at the budgets for each ddepartment. Very time consuming and they won't always let the pertinent info out--even for publicly supported colleges.

Ask the women on softball teams just what kind of accommodations they get when they're on the road versus what the football players have.

And what kind of equipment the women's basketball team is supplied with versus the men's basketball team's etc.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 11:37PM #38
Wanderingal

I just heard that Penn State fired Joe tonight.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 2:56AM #39
DotNotInOz

Nov 9, 2011 -- 10:54PM, jane2 wrote:

Just watched the Penn State spokesman on Lawrence O'Donnel's "Last Word".

Penn State admin is scapegoating Coach Paterno for the university's malfeasance. Let the investigation go forward into that malfeasance. Big money, big contracts, yada,yada.

Big business, including television, will have the last laugh. Who will corral them?

No one, basically, because the last laugh has already been had.

Thanks, Jane, for adding your pleas for justice and sanity.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 10, 2011 - 7:02AM #40
DotNotInOz

Hooo, boyee! I wondered earlier what was wrong with the grad assistant who reportedly said that he'd witnessed Sandusky having anal sex with a naked boy in the shower room at Penn State. I just read the grand jury testimony transcript and now REALLY wonder what was wrong with him.

I thought perhaps he was pretty young, maybe fresh out a bachelor's degree program and thus no more than 21 or 22, in which case consulting his father about what to do would be somewhat understandable.

The guy was nearly THIRTY when this incident occurred.

What he should have done is said better in this piece than I can express it--

What was wrong with Mike McQueary

Some serious questions need to be asked about his judgment.

From what I heard on this morning's news, he will not be on the field this Saturday as a Penn State asst. coach and may no longer be a coach there.

This whole situation is becoming more and more disturbing, and I'm certainly inclined to agree that it bears definite similarities to the decades-long coverup of such by the Catholic Church. Protect the brandname and nevermind the victims--they'll get over it eventually.

Heartless and morally bankrupt!

Penn State's president was fired by the trustees last night also. All the major players in this scandal appear to be gone now.

Still, it's a sad ending to what was so long believed an upright and honorable role by Joe Paterno. He hasn't missed a Penn State game since November 19, 1949!

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 21  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook