Page 1 of 21  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Penn State Scandal Prompts Accusations
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 2:29PM #1
DotNotInOz

Joe Paterno announces retirement amidst accusations that he didn't do enough

Shortly before I thought to add a thread about the burgeoning Penn State scandal, the announcement was made that venerable, highly revered Coach Joe Paterno will retire at the end of the season largely due to accusations that he failed to act as he ought to have and should have notified police of possible child abuse allegedly perpetrated by the man being groomed as Paterno's replacement.

Paterno says he acted in accord with university policy which was to report to his superiors any such incidents. It was then their responsibility to alert law enforcement.

There's already a Facebook group proclaiming Paterno negligent and guilty of a coverup.

Will this country never learn to refrain from passing judgment on what someone ought to have done until the facts are uncovered?     

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 2:53PM #2
Wanderingal

Dot--hi.

In his statement today Joe said that "In hindsight he realizes he should have done more."

A lot of good that does the victims now--or then.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 3:08PM #3
TemplarS

I (along with WGal and others) have commented on this at length over on the Catholic Debate forum.

I don't feel like repeating myself, but briefly summarizing my views:

1. Paterno did nothing illegal, but could have done more to follow up on the disposition of the allegations as he reported them to his superiors.  From an ethical standpoint, doing the bare minimum is not an acceptable behavior.

2. Very analogous to the Catholic Church abuse scandal, in the attempt to bury the case to avoid damaging the institution. 

3. Paterno and others will take the fall.  But this sort of behavior is unsurprising in an culture (Div 1 college football) which routinely skirts the line as regards ethics, and frequently in fact crosses that line.  Not to equate recruiting violations with child abuse, but you cannot maintain ethical standards in one area in a culture where standards are routinely disregarded in others.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 3:52PM #4
jane2

I think Coach Paterno may be under a small cloud for a bit, but he is 84 years old and his contract has ended. There was chit-chat about a renewal but the contract ends at the end of the year. May he enjoy his retirement.

(Templar--the thread on the Discuss Catholicism board was not started by WGal, but by someone who posts and has posted there regularly for many years.)

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 3:57PM #5
jane2

Nov 9, 2011 -- 2:29PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Shortly before I thought to add a thread about the burgeoning Penn State scandal, the announcement was made that venerable, highly revered Coach Joe Paterno will retire at the end of the season largely due to accusations that he failed to act as he ought to have and should have notified police of possible child abuse allegedly perpetrated by the man being groomed as Paterno's replacement.

Paterno says he acted in accord with university policy which was to report to his superiors any such incidents. It was then their responsibility to alert law enforcement.

There's already a Facebook group proclaiming Paterno negligent and guilty of a coverup.

Will this country never learn to refrain from passing judgment on what someone ought to have done until the facts are uncovered?     

Dot

Coach Paterno did what was asked in his university system and according to the law. He didn't cover.

Nice post.

As I remarked on the DC board this has been a slow news time-frame.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 4:19PM #6
TemplarS

I think Joe Paterno will end up emerging from this with his dignity mostly intact.

He could and should have done more; but he did, after all, act; he did not, as with others in the case, sit by and do nothing.  One mistake should not (and I think will not) count for that much in the end. 

He accepted retirement with grace, his first thought in his published statment, as in the statement outside his house last night,  was of the children and their families. His statement comes across as human and heartfelt. For those who have the time, compare it with the self-righteous bombast issued by the Penn State  Board of Trustees.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 4:32PM #7
Wanderingal

Templar--I'm going to disagree with your immediately above post.

I think that as the transparent current investigation continues and more information about exactly what Sandusky did to those boys comes out Paterno will get even more public censure for not having done everything within his power to stop the abusive behavior.

Already there's been a ninth victim revealed and some of the parents of the other victims are starting to speak out against Paterno.

IMO they will have most of the public behind them.

As I have said elsewhere I am a huge college and pro football fan and I am appalled at Paterno's lack of cariing about the welfare of the ONE victim he knew about.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 4:34PM #8
Wanderingal

Nov 9, 2011 -- 3:57PM, jane2 wrote:

Nov 9, 2011 -- 2:29PM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Dot

Coach Paterno did what was asked in his university system and according to the law. He didn't cover.

Nice post.

As I remarked on the DC board this has been a slow news time-frame.

Jane--is it your contention that if there were "more news" right now about other matters that no one would care as much about the victims and what was NOT done--especially by Paterno--to protect them?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 5:23PM #9
DotNotInOz
Wgal, 

I really don't understand why you or anyone else here thinks they know what Paterno knew, that you know exactly what happened, and that Paterno should obviously have gone straight to police with what are very serious accusations. 

To protect school employees from fabricated or unwarranted charges is precisely why schools institute policies that employees should report suspected incidents to their immediate superiors. For good reason, it is often extremely ill advised for a teacher or coach to go to police based on what a student says the student saw another teacher or coach doing. 

Think about it. Let's suppose that this graduate assistant was given a lower grade than he thought he deserved, denied some privilege or otherwise slighted by then assistant coach Sandusky. What does he know will get revenge and then some? Accusing the coach of child molestation, that's what.

I find it alarming indeed that you're so adamant that Paterno ought to have done more when he followed policy and apparently his superiors are the ones who failed in their stated and contracted responsibilities. 
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 5:45PM #10
Wanderingal

Dot--hi. I'm going by the statement of the grad student to the cops about what he saw and what he told Paterno.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 21  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook