Page 3 of 21  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Penn State Scandal Prompts Accusations
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 8:53PM #21
loveontheair

Nov 9, 2011 -- 8:51PM, jane2 wrote:

Nov 9, 2011 -- 8:22PM, TemplarS wrote:

Resignation was the proper move.

In his position, beyond the legal responsibility, he has a certain moral responsibility, which he failed to fulfill.

He recognizes that, obviously.  People make mistakes, they cannot be undone, and they have consequences.

I don't think he needs to be crucified beyond that.

But the facts need to come out, and there is much yet to be explained.  Primarily, what sort of discussions took place between the AD and others in the administration (what others needs to be determined as well); and why, unlike Mr. Paterno, those gentlemen chose not to discharge even their legal responsibilities.  Also, there is the ugly little question about an earlier investigation of Sandusky.  This was evidently back in 1998, well before the Paterno incident, but after many of the "alleged" abuses took place.  What went wrong with this investigation,  why nothing came of it- these are also hard questions needing answers.

I disagree about Coach Paterno. He fulfilled his obligation. Whether others in the admin of Penn State did will come out.

I don't totally buy the analogy to what went on in the RCC, either. Bishops were told by Rome not to report to anyone but Rome. Those of us who were reading in the mid-eighties knew what was afoot with covering up the scandal. Thomas Doyle, OP made his report to John Paul II circa 1985 and Rome did little but obstruct. This was massive abuse, over centuries as we now know. Andrew Greeley was writing about it in the mid-eighties, long before the Boston Globe broke it wide open. Father Greeley warned Cardinal Joseph Bernardin of Chicago and Bernardin began to take steps of his own.

Thomas Doyle, a Dominican paid dearly for the report he submitted. Father Doyle, along with Sipe and Wall published a definitive book SEX, PRIESTS and SECRET CODES in 2006 about sexual abuse within the RCC going back to the first century, CE. John Paul II commissioned Thomas Doyle to search and report originally.

And Coach Paterno is now 84........................., long past normal retirement.

+1

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 9:13PM #22
TemplarS

Nov 9, 2011 -- 8:51PM, jane2 wrote:

I disagree about Coach Paterno. He fulfilled his obligation. Whether others in the admin of Penn State did will come out.

Well, I think that some people clearly did not fulfill their obligations.  Getting to the bottom of who was involved in what discussions, leading to exactly what decisions, in any organization is a slippery thing. Nobody puts these things in writing, and it is always hard to pin anything or anybody down down (unless you have someone like Nixon, who conveniently recorded it all).  All that is known is that that there were two gentlemen who talked to Paterno and the grad assistant, and they evidently informed the University president after the fact.  But while Paterno informed the AD the day after he heard the allegations- all this other maneuvering went on over a period of weeks; who knows what other discussions took place over that time? And, incredibly, from the timeline I have seen the AD didn't even talk to the grad assistant about what he had seen until a week and a half after Paterno told him.   Inexcusable, but very suspicious as well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 9:19PM #23
Wanderingal

Let's be really clear here--

"AD" means ATHLETIC Department--not anything associated with a District Attorney as some might mistakenly think......

Paterno went to the ATHLETIC department and NOT to the police--and never checked to see what was being done about sexual abuse that was going on in his OWN department.

And in case people don't understand that--Sandusky the accused perp was an assistant coach to Paterno.

IE Joe was the abuser's boss.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 9:53PM #24
farragut

University policy does not trump the law of the land anymore than do the regulations of the church of Rome. One who has knowledge of the commission of a crime maintains a responsibility to report it to properly constituted authority. What we seem to be seeing here is misprision of a felony on the part of several  university officials.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:00PM #25
Girlchristian

Nov 9, 2011 -- 9:53PM, farragut wrote:

University policy does not trump the law of the land anymore than do the regulations of the church of Rome. One who has knowledge of the commission of a crime maintains a responsibility to report it to properly constituted authority. What we seem to be seeing here is misprision of a felony on the part of several  university officials.

So, what responsibility does the student that actually witnessed the crime have? THAT's who should have called the police as that person is the one that actually witnessed the crime.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:14PM #26
farragut

I can't quarrel with that, but his failure to pursue it further does not absolve those in the administration who had reason to know.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:16PM #27
Do_unto_others

Could someone tell me why a college football coach earns $1million+ salary? What does a lecturer at Penn State earn?

The world has its priorities all wrong.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:49PM #28
jane2

Nov 9, 2011 -- 10:16PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

Could someone tell me why a college football coach earns $1million+ salary? What does a lecturer at Penn State earn?

The world has its priorities all wrong.

Actually Coach Paterno earned a bit over $500,000, probably well within scope.

My daughter made over $300,000 as a research analyst for the building industry in California before the bank scams. She earned it.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:54PM #29
jane2

Just watched the Penn State spokesman on Lawrence O'Donnel's "Last Word".

Penn State admin is scapegoating Coach Paterno for the university's malfeasance. Let the investigation go forward into that malfeasance. Big money, big contracts, yada,yada.

Big business, including television, will have the last laugh. Who will corral them?

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 09, 2011 - 10:57PM #30
Wanderingal

Jane--did you see my question in post #8 for you?

It is not a rhetorical question.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 21  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 21 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook