Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Bad Climate News for Perry, Cain, Bachmann ...
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 8:08PM #1
TemplarS

www.washingtonpost.com/politics/apnewsbr...

and the Romney-flopper (or else another chance to stick their oversized heads in the sand). 

Not to mention, bad news for the rest of us.

For a world already weary of weather catastrophes, the latest warning from top climate scientists paints a grim future: More floods, more heat waves, more droughts and greater costs to deal with them.

A draft summary of an international scientific report obtained by The Associated Press says the extremes caused by global warming could eventually grow so severe that some locations become “increasingly marginal as places to live.”

Edit: to fix link

Moderated by Stardove on Nov 02, 2011 - 08:19PM
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 9:51PM #2
teilhard

Hotter Climate ... ???  Big Deal ...

Just ***crank***up*** The AC ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 02, 2011 - 11:36PM #3
mountain_man

The Republicans reject climate change so there's no problem. If it's not a problem, why deal with it?

It's scary that some people actually "think" that way.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 8:16AM #4
REteach

The lovely irony is that the Koch brothers funded a study that supported climate change.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 10:40AM #5
jane2

Nov 3, 2011 -- 8:16AM, REteach wrote:

The lovely irony is that the Koch brothers funded a study that supported climate change.

Love this one, RE

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 10:56AM #6
TemplarS

In fact, the Kochs (at least David) support quite a few scientific institutions.  They are free market libertarians, not six-day-creation Neanderthals.

The thing about science, however, is that by its nature it will not always give you what you are looking for.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 12:09PM #7
mountain_man

Nov 3, 2011 -- 8:16AM, REteach wrote:

Yes, they "funded" a scientist that was very noisy in the anti climate change camp. He found so much evidence for climate change that he had to change his views. That's all his "funders" would let him do. They will not allow him to admit the change is anthropogenic.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 2:55PM #8
BDboy

Nov 3, 2011 -- 10:56AM, TemplarS wrote:

In fact, the Kochs (at least David) support quite a few scientific institutions.  They are free market libertarians, not six-day-creation Neanderthals.

The thing about science, however, is that by its nature it will not always give you what you are looking for.

>>>>>> Yeah but Charles ( Lived in Wichita, KS) is a little "Fanatic" about his favourite political party. His favourite hobby is to "Help" elect his congesspersons and senators of choice. Albeit a easy going straight talking man of the midwest.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 4:10PM #9
MMarcoe

Nov 2, 2011 -- 8:08PM, TemplarS wrote:

www.washingtonpost.com/politics/apnewsbr...

and the Romney-flopper (or else another chance to stick their oversized heads in the sand). 

Not to mention, bad news for the rest of us.

For a world already weary of weather catastrophes, the latest warning from top climate scientists paints a grim future: More floods, more heat waves, more droughts and greater costs to deal with them.

A draft summary of an international scientific report obtained by The Associated Press says the extremes caused by global warming could eventually grow so severe that some locations become “increasingly marginal as places to live.”

Edit: to fix link

Ah, but this is GREAT news. We'll keep on heating the atmosphere till it becomes unbearable, and that will kick in the end of the world: finally Jesus will return in the sky in all his Anglo-Saxon glory, smite the liberals dead, reinstate unfettered market economics, and return the fundies to political dominance over the earth.

... of course, I'll be burning in hell as a result.

There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.

God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Nov 03, 2011 - 4:31PM #10
Girlchristian

Most of the conservatives I personally know believe that climate change is real, but where they argue with liberals is how much of it is due to man and what policies do we put in place to deal with it. Things like laws on light bulb efficiency that will cause the average American to spend more on light bulbs than they can afford, cap and trade, etc...

Here's an interesting article regarding Reagan and where he would likely stand on this issue and it's not on the side of the conservatives that deny climate change even though Limbaugh would claim otherwise.

www.climateconservative.org/whatwouldrea...

Some of the thoughts from the article and what conservatives seem to ignore:

Reagan, when faced with mounting scientific concern about ozone depletion, listened to all sides, carefully weighed the facts, and ultimately sided with the climate scientists who were urging him to take prudent action to safeguard our atmosphere.

Despite strong opposition from Interior Secretary Don Hodel and other skeptics within his administration, President Reagan chose to push through a strong international treaty to begin phasing out ozone-depleting chemicals.

That 1987 treaty, the Montreal Protocol, is widely regarded as the most successful environmental treaty of all time.

It would probably come as quite a shock to Limbaugh and Beck, not to mention the tea party crowd and some GOP leaders, that the cap-and-trade method has a conservative lineage that can be traced back to the Reagan White House.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook