Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6
Switch to Forum Live View Bear Hunter Pays Ultimate Price
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 11:13PM #51
solfeggio

Jane -

Why wouldn't we trust CBS or NBC or ABC news 'at this time'?  We get CBS news here and have watched it from time to time.  It tends to report a lot of fluff, but the news readers seem to know what they're talking about.

In any case, the autopsy showed that the guy died of a gunshot wound, so why would anybody lie about that on the news?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 11:17PM #52
solfeggio

mytmouse -

I get your point about not calling the guy who killed his friend an idiot.  And I realise that the two guys were in a hair-raising situation.  However, I look at this whole episode from a wider perspective.

If you go out into the woods to find something and kill it, in this case a potentially very dangerous animal like a bear, you are, in effect, looking for trouble.  There's no other way to put it.  Bears kill people.  You cannot reason with a bear.  And, if you wound a bear, s/he is going to be very angry with you and will try to wound or kill you, too.

Therefore, these two guys shouldn't have been all that surprised to find that the bear they shot was still alive and fighting mad.

The bottom line here is that two obviously clueless jokers went out looking for trouble and found it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 4:28AM #53
DotNotInOz

Sep 29, 2011 -- 11:13PM, solfeggio wrote:

Jane -

Why wouldn't we trust CBS or NBC or ABC news 'at this time'?  We get CBS news here and have watched it from time to time.  It tends to report a lot of fluff, but the news readers seem to know what they're talking about.

I have no idea why one wouldn't regard a CBS report as worthy of attention.

Perhaps Jane is alluding to the fact that tv news often is so quick to air a story that their reporters don't always get all the facts and thus report erroneously.

It is true that it's wisest to regard an initial report with a good deal of caution whether broadcast or print. Mistakes are often made and facts unknown when reporters rush to beat the competition.

In this instance, it seems obvious that the fact that the victim succumbed to gunshot and not wounds inflicted by the bear could hardly have been known until autopsy results were publicized. Too hasty reporting can't be blamed for that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 30, 2011 - 4:40AM #54
DotNotInOz

Sep 29, 2011 -- 11:17PM, solfeggio wrote:

mytmouse -

I get your point about not calling the guy who killed his friend an idiot.  And I realise that the two guys were in a hair-raising situation.  However, I look at this whole episode from a wider perspective.

If you go out into the woods to find something and kill it, in this case a potentially very dangerous animal like a bear, you are, in effect, looking for trouble.  There's no other way to put it.  Bears kill people.  You cannot reason with a bear.  And, if you wound a bear, s/he is going to be very angry with you and will try to wound or kill you, too.

Therefore, these two guys shouldn't have been all that surprised to find that the bear they shot was still alive and fighting mad.

The bottom line here is that two obviously clueless jokers went out looking for trouble and found it.

While I understand your disapproval of hunters, Solf, I think it's rather harsh and unfeeling to call these men "two obviously clueless jokers [who] went out looking for trouble and found it."

This could have happened to any skilled and experienced hunters when one tried desperately to save the other and himself.

The hunters I've known were well aware that things could go deadly wrong fast when a wounded animal charges. That the one man shot his friend in the melee is a sad accident even though I'm inclined to agree with you that shooting bears is unnecessary and a poor excuse for a sport.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Oct 07, 2011 - 12:51PM #55
Merope

This thread was moved from the Hot Topics Zone.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 6 of 6  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook