Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View It's Life for Vegan Couple Who Starved Their Baby to Death
3 years ago  ::  Sep 14, 2011 - 9:51PM #41
mountain_man

Sep 14, 2011 -- 6:17PM, solfeggio wrote:

Scientology (in the words of its founder, Ron Hubbard) teaches that homosexuals are a dangerous aberration and a sub-human species...

But then so was Hubbard.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 3:49AM #42
CharikIeia

Sep 14, 2011 -- 1:43PM, Erey wrote:

Just curious, how do you know the Scientology words/terms?

They were aggressively recruiting in the late 1980s in the streets of Berlin, so I informed myself a bit. Also, my literary hero William Burroughs had a short period of being involved with that organisation: CLICK.

Their main technical procedures seem to consist of a lie detector type interrogation in which they ask you questions and you hold onto a device measuring electrical conductance of your skin. When conductance increases (typically because you sweat a bit) this is seen by the interrogator, and s/he interprets it as having hit on an "aberration", the question addresses something important to you that you still need to come to terms with, in their view... i.e., lose any conductance reaction to. Basically you're sane (they call it "clear") only when you don't react to anything any more, conductance-wise...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 6:36AM #43
DotNotInOz

Sep 15, 2011 -- 3:49AM, CharikIeia wrote:

Their main technical procedures seem to consist of a lie detector type interrogation in which they ask you questions and you hold onto a device measuring electrical conductance of your skin. When conductance increases (typically because you sweat a bit) this is seen by the interrogator, and s/he interprets it as having hit on an "aberration", the question addresses something important to you that you still need to come to terms with, in their view... i.e., lose any conductance reaction to. Basically you're sane (they call it "clear") only when you don't react to anything any more, conductance-wise...

One of the managers of the bookstore where I used to work was enamored of Scientology although I don't know that he actually was one. Anyway, he set up special events for the store, and every so often would bring in the local Scientologists with their meter to "test" people.

I once heard one of these people giving a customer advice on the customer's mental health based upon what this silly meter indicated. I was appalled.

What's interesting about the founding of Scientology is that reportedly Del Close, a founder of the Second City comedy troupe, stated that he was responsible for Hubbard's starting a religion. Close asserted that Hubbard was bemoaning his lack of money, and Close suggested that the easiest way to get rich was to start a religion so as to enjoy the tax-free benefits accorded to churches in the U.S. Hubbard had already had limited success writing science fiction, so it wasn't much of a leap to make up a religion with many sci-fi characteristics.

I don't know how true that is since Close was fond of inflating his own importance, but it wouldn't surprise me but what there's an element of truth in it. The two men were closely acquainted at one time.

The result is still calculated in millions of dollars.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 10:55AM #44
piecesofthewhole

Sep 13, 2011 -- 11:04AM, TemplarS wrote:

It strikes me that these people are really no different from any other ideologues who preach something as a moral imperative without spending one iota of effort to understand the details of what they are so fanatic about.

They claim to be vegans; but I would think and hope that any serious vegan would take the time to understand nutrition and how to fit a balanced diet into that lifestyle.

So I conclude that these idiots are not serious vegans at all.

Yes.  This exactly!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 15, 2011 - 3:59PM #45
IreneAdler

Sep 15, 2011 -- 3:49AM, CharikIeia wrote:

They were aggressively recruiting in the late 1980s in the streets of Berlin, so I informed myself a bit. Also, my literary hero William Burroughs had a short period of being involved with that organisation: CLICK.

So what does on have when one is declared "clear"?

That sounds a little like biofeedback.   I've read where patients are taught ways to control their bodily responses using biofeedback.  Is this similar?

Boy, the things one learns....

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 17, 2011 - 1:36AM #46
karbie

Out of my own curiosity, I checked out basic Scientology and found that the engrams you needed to be cleared of were pain and trauma carried over from previous lives as well as any suffered during pre-birth. All of this is carried in the reactive mind. Until you are able to resolve these, you will be tied down into an unending cycle of rebirths. Once you are clear of them, you have developed enough mentally and spiritually to take control and become a thetan, able to have deeper awareness and control and no longer need to be reincarnated.

that's why they don't want the doctors and nurses talking during the birth of a child, so the child is born into a calm, quiet room to lessen the trauma of birth.

I know that they have counselors to help you achieve greater levels of mind control and to help your soul progress further. Why that translates into massive land holdings when the object is not to come back at all seems a contradiction to me. Probably so they can all go somewhere to stay away from the rest of us.

I wish that poor child had been born to anyone who knew even rudimentary nuitrion for infants.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 29, 2011 - 1:31PM #47
jesusfreakgal

This is very disheartening. First, I wonder why they didn't breast feed the baby, and second, why they fed the baby soy milk, as opposed to soy formula. I fairly sure there is a difference, and that soy milk is probably not appropriate for a baby, where as soy formula would be designed for a baby. I almost think a parenting licence is a good idea, but it might be too complicated. Maybe everyone who gets pregnant, and the father of the baby as well should have to take manditory parenting classes or something so they hopefully will have a help in giving the baby. For families that already have children and things are good I wouldn't necessarly think they need to take the parenting classes.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook