Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Flooding- Round Two
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 10:54AM #1
TemplarS

After Irene, now Lee:

www.weather.com/outlook/weather-news/new...

After pounding Louisiana, the remnants of Lee move north.  I passed through Binghamton NY and surrounding areas of PA yesterday.  Very bad.  Areas of New York State  and New Jersey which were devastated by Irene got another 8 inches of rain.  I heard that all roads in Montgomery County NY were closed.  I've got a couple temporarily moving into my house since theirs is now unliveable.

Vermont at least was spared the worst of this one.

I've never seen anything like this amount of rain in my 50+ years in this area.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 3:57PM #2
Erey

We have the reverse problem a drought

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 5:32PM #3
REteach

The flooding here was 3 years ago and there are still repercussions.  Mother Nature can be a witch.

There is that checklist on tax forms to donate to political parties, and in my state you can donate to some other things as well.  I wish there was an option to donate to people affected by natural disasters.  I do donate to Red Cross and MSF/DWB but ultimately I think it is a national thing.  We can all be affected by something. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 6:45PM #4
jane2

What a summer for the Northeast. (And much of the country.)

We lived in Lewisburg, PA  for some years in the sixties and still have friends there. It is right on the Susquehanna, north of Harrisburg.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 7:10PM #5
Wanderingal

Templar--

in the southwest we're starting to get some of the benefits from some of the hurricanes that break up over Mexico.

The moisture gets pulled north and is turned into heavy summer rains for us.

So as awful as the hurricanes are for some--for others they are a blessing.

BTW--at this very moment we have thunder that is signalling the start of a storm created out of leftover hurricane moiture.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 09, 2011 - 8:45PM #6
TemplarS

As with most things, in the case of rain moderation is the key...

but nature is not always a moderate...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 12:32AM #7
hopebringer

The Unadilla River is the one affecting our area (about  35 miles north of Binghamton) ;  but the kids have enjoyed having two days off from school.  Most main roads have opened up , but the bridge near my house is closed until further notice.  It has impacted locals and ought to make school bus routes crazy for a while.  Lots of fun .  I do have to give kudos to the local fire departments  and personel ;  They were on top of things and much help to people in trouble spots , like :  Norwich and Sherburne.  It's through events like this , that communities come together.

Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth. Tame the dragon and the gift is yours. ~ Noela Evans
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 3:49AM #8
DotNotInOz
Yep, we're getting hurricane-remnant rain here in the St. Looey metro area and have for the last two days. Forecast is for it to continue through Sunday.

We can use the rain as unusually hot and dry as August was. Not typical for us to have so many 100-degree days in a row even in the dog days of that month without a thunderstorm here and there to cool us off.

Weather extremes all over the U.S. this year. Makes me think Al Gore smarter than the ostrich types prefer to think he is.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 10, 2011 - 8:20PM #9
TemplarS

Sep 10, 2011 -- 3:49AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Weather extremes all over the U.S. this year. Makes me think Al Gore smarter than the ostrich types prefer to think he is.

Perhaps.

You know, when Katrina hit, a few people blamed global warming for that, which I do not buy at all.  One bad event, no matter how horrific or unusual, does not a trend make.

But this year, it has been one thing after another, from drought, record high temps, wildfires, hurricanes, and just plain massive rainfall.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Sep 11, 2011 - 12:28AM #10
Wanderingal

Dot--we had another gulleywasher and flash flood courtesy of the hurricane leftovers again today.

Until yesterday afternoon we hadn't even received 1/3 of our normal summer rains.

I even had a mini-flood in my house today--but hey--the aquifer is being recharged and my rugs will eventually dry out.

Hallelujah!

(and my thoughts and prayers for the people in other parts of the country who are losing their homes to flooding....)

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 2  •  1 2 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook