Important Announcement

See here for an important message regarding the community which has become a read-only site as of October 31.

Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Restaurant Sued for Serving Meat
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 12:44PM #41
Ken

Jul 22, 2011 -- 12:10PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Jul 22, 2011 -- 11:54AM, Ken wrote:

Jul 21, 2011 -- 6:46PM, Maidencreatrix wrote:

I don't think other people's opinions on what the family should or shouldn't do after accidentally eating meat should really come into play.

Of course they should. In law, the standard is always what a reasonable person would do in the circumstances.

You're misrepresenting the standard.

It is always modified to fit the circumstances. In this instant case it was be what a reasonable HINDU would expect/do.

Exactly. And that is not what a reasonable Hindu would do.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 12:57PM #42
farragut

Best thing for those poor, defiled people is to let a couple days pass, and enjoy a good bowel movement. I'm sure they've already done that.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:15PM #43
Wanderingal

Jul 22, 2011 -- 12:35PM, Christianlib wrote:

An aside.  Have you read much lately about the state of the Ganges?  I'm not sure a dip in THAT water purifies anything.  Much the opposite, in fact.

The purifying qualities of Mother Ganges are spiritual, not physical.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:17PM #44
Wanderingal

Jul 22, 2011 -- 12:44PM, Ken wrote:

Jul 22, 2011 -- 12:10PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Jul 22, 2011 -- 11:54AM, Ken wrote:

Jul 21, 2011 -- 6:46PM, Maidencreatrix wrote:

I don't think other people's opinions on what the family should or shouldn't do after accidentally eating meat should really come into play.

Of course they should. In law, the standard is always what a reasonable person would do in the circumstances.

You're misrepresenting the standard.

It is always modified to fit the circumstances. In this instant case it was be what a reasonable HINDU would expect/do.

Exactly. And that is not what a reasonable Hindu would do.

Ken--again--you're using YOUR ideas about Hinduism--not the ideas of HIndus.

YOur posts have proved that clearly.

BTTW--looking at some of your constructions (as well as comments about legal standards) makes me wonder if you're in a country OTHER than the US.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:19PM #45
Christianlib

Jul 22, 2011 -- 1:15PM, Wanderingal wrote:

An aside.  Have you read much lately about the state of the Ganges?  I'm not sure a dip in THAT water purifies anything.  Much the opposite, in fact.

Yeah, I understand that.  But still........

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:21PM #46
Wanderingal

Jul 22, 2011 -- 12:57PM, farragut wrote:

Best thing for those poor, defiled people is to let a couple days pass, and enjoy a good bowel movement. I'm sure they've already done that.

I know you're probably trying to make a "joke" but this situation is about spiritual defilement--not physical.

I'm not sure it's kosher to make jokes about the religious beliefs of others--especially about a set of practices and beliefs that is over 6000 years old.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:22PM #47
Wanderingal

Jul 22, 2011 -- 1:19PM, Christianlib wrote:

Jul 22, 2011 -- 1:15PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Yeah, I understand that.  But still........

CL--well I don't see much difference between what you're referring to and the Christian idea of "Ashes to ashes, dust to dust"........

And to get scientific about it--we grow our food crops in the enriched soil which is the result of millions (countless ) of decomposing human and animal corpses.....

Those who have gone before us nourish us now.

Not much difference really at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:27PM #48
DotNotInOz
You totally bewildered me there, WGal.

What does the "ashes to ashes" passage have to do with the discussion at hand other than reflecting the Christian belief that the body will decay after death while the soul continues to exist?
Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:35PM #49
Wanderingal

Dot--hi--sorry if I was confusing. I was referring to CL's "objection" that the Ganges is really "dirty" because the ashes of the dead are put into it.

As I said--it isn't really such an "exotic" or ""foreign" idea when compared with a similar Christian attitude.

BTW--the idea of going to the Ganges for purification isn't very "Exotic" either. Christians have been going on PILGRIMAGES to their "holy" places for hundreds of years for spiritual benefits.

Think about how many people try to go to Israel--IE--the "Holy Land" for the spiritual benefits they feel they will derive from being there.

I see no difference at all.

Quick Reply
Cancel
6 years ago  ::  Jul 22, 2011 - 1:37PM #50
Girlchristian

Jul 22, 2011 -- 1:35PM, Wanderingal wrote:

Dot--hi--sorry if I was confusing. I was referring to CL's "objection" that the Ganges is really "dirty" because the ashes of the dead are put into it.

As I said--it isn't really such an "exotic" or ""foreign" idea when compared with a similar Christian attitude.

BTW--the idea of going to the Ganges for purification isn't very "Exotic" either. Christians have been going on PILGRIMAGES to their "holy" places for hundreds of years for spiritual benefits.

Think about how many people try to go to Israel--IE--the "Holy Land" for the spiritual benefits they feel they will derive from being there.

I see no difference at all.

Going to the Ganges for purification is great. Expecting a restaurant to cover the costs of your trip to do so is ridiculous and greedy.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook