Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 5:04PM #1
REteach
Speaking of hot topics, it is 97 here with a heat index of 113.  Who is going to beat me?  :)
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 5:16PM #2
Ebon

Another reason to be glad of living in England...

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 5:30PM #3
Wanderingal

100+ here right now with 30+% humidity--but of course we're in desert and need the heat to get our summer much-needed rainstorms going.

We like to say we're "used to it" but it's still a matter of making the necessary accomodations to such high temps.

I'm sorry that so many in the rest of the country are experiencing our kind of temps.

Be safe and do everything you need to to keep hydrated. Hyperthermia (heat exhaustion/heat fatigue/heat stroke) is a real biatch.....

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 5:41PM #4
CharikIeia

I was teaching a summer school in Italy last week, and we had up to 39 °Celsius (102 °F) and high humidity - terrible! Luckily, after the third day it got cooler, down to normal nice summer temperatures of ~30° C (86 °F)...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 5:46PM #5
MMarcoe

Mid-90s with 55% humidity here in Madison, Wis.

The humidity is some of the worst I've ever felt.

Highs at 98 tomorrow. Our respite comes on Friday, when highs go up to only 88.

1. Extremists think that thinking means agreeing with them.
2. There are three sides to every story: your side, my side, and the truth.
3. God is just a personification of reality, of pure objectivity.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 5:59PM #6
jane2

Its 95 in my north Atlanta burb and humid. Humidity and air inversions have plagued us this spring and summer; because we are a thousand feet above sea level humidity is normally not a problem.

Everything is air-conditioned here, including our cars and that is a blessing.

We like to joke here that two things turned Atlanta into a powerhouse city : Hartsfiled/Jackson Airport and air-conditioning.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 6:05PM #7
DotNotInOz
I think REteach wins thus far.

We're close here in St. Looey at 97 with heat index of 108. Sure glad we didn't hit the forecast HI of 115 today. More than hot enough already with no respite forecast until perhaps Sunday.

It's especially bad in the city itself. We're in a suburban semi-rural area of the metro thankfully where the heat isn't quite so unbearable due to more open spaces.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 6:08PM #8
Wanderingal

We don't "do" heat index here. I guess it would scare the tourists.

Can someone tell me how that's calculated?

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 6:18PM #9
costrel

It's 102 degrees F here in South Dakota (with temperatures as high as 105 degrees F in the middle of the state).

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 19, 2011 - 6:22PM #10
mainecaptain

Jul 19, 2011 -- 5:16PM, Ebon wrote:

Another reason to be glad of living in England...

Adopt me :))

It is not as hot as the rest of the USA, but it has been getting into the upper  90's here, and I can't take the heat.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 10  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook