Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 10:12PM #1
Merope

Anyone seen it yet?  It opened in the US and the UK (and probably elsewhere around the world) yesterday.

It's broken a few first-day records, and may break opening weekend records.  Story here.

The film brought in $92.1 million USD on opening day in the US.  That's nearly $20 million more than the previous record-holder, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which held the record for two years.

Its opening day total in the UK was $14.8 million USD.  Warner Bros. (the film's distributor) says that's the biggest single day take in the UK ever for a movie.

And In a single day, Deathly Hallows: Part 2 took in more money than four of the previous seven Potter films did over their entire opening weekends.

Okay, okay, so it's not necessarily all about the money ;-)

I plan to see it after the crowds die down.  Then I'll probably miss the movies so much that I'll re-read all the books (yet again :-)

How about you?  If you saw it, what did you think?  If you haven't yet seen it, do you plan to?  How do you feel about the end of an era of Harry Potter films?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 10:58PM #2
jane2

Jul 16, 2011 -- 10:12PM, Merope wrote:

Anyone seen it yet?  It opened in the US and the UK (and probably elsewhere around the world) yesterday.

It's broken a few first-day records, and may break opening weekend records.  Story here.

The film brought in $92.1 million USD on opening day in the US.  That's nearly $20 million more than the previous record-holder, The Twilight Saga: New Moon, which held the record for two years.

Its opening day total in the UK was $14.8 million USD.  Warner Bros. (the film's distributor) says that's the biggest single day take in the UK ever for a movie.

And In a single day, Deathly Hallows: Part 2 took in more money than four of the previous seven Potter films did over their entire opening weekends.

Okay, okay, so it's not necessarily all about the money ;-)

I plan to see it after the crowds die down.  Then I'll probably miss the movies so much that I'll re-read all the books (yet again :-)

How about you?  If you saw it, what did you think?  If you haven't yet seen it, do you plan to?  How do you feel about the end of an era of Harry Potter films?

Harry Potter belongs to my kids and their kids. I was always too old. Wonder if my son and d-i-l and their three teens went to the midnight movie last night.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 16, 2011 - 11:06PM #3
christzen

I don't know,I'll admit to being 52 and loving the HP books.Not so much the movies,which can't seem to compete with JKR's ability to stir the imagination,but still,it's great stuff.For any generation.At least the books.

But personally,I am glad to see great stories like HP,and  LOTR, that definitively wrap up instead of being drug on ad infinitum for profiteering.

Spoiler alert ahead for those that haven't read the books or seen the last movie.

Has there ever been a better turn of a character than Snape,who ended up being possibly the bravest soul of the lot?

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 12:13AM #4
mountain_man

I wonder if there is a way to see the last two back to back? I haven't seen part one yet and I'd like to see that first.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 12:22AM #5
Paganchick

I saw it last night and *loved* it!  I've read all the books more than once and still believe the movies cannot even begin to compare to the books.  But I was presently surprised by this last movie.  It most certainly was the grandest of finales!

Strangely, I am not sad to see the end of the Potter era.  It was a perfect time to end.  And what an end it was!

**Spoiler Alert**

Two of my favorite characters ended up being Neville and Snape.  I was thrilled to finally understand Snape after all this time.  :)

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 2:18AM #6
DotNotInOz
Jane, I urge you to give both the books and movies a chance. I'm about a decade younger than you, and I assure you the series still compels me to reread every now and again.

But then, really good kids' books are for all ages, IMO.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 4:58AM #7
Merope

Jul 16, 2011 -- 10:58PM, jane2 wrote:

Harry Potter belongs to my kids and their kids. I was always too old. Wonder if my son and d-i-l and their three teens went to the midnight movie last night.

I thought that for myself at one point, too.  I didn't begin reading the books until Order of the Phoenix (the 5th book) was in paperback.  Even then, I thought I'd probably be too old for what I assumed was juvenile fiction.  So I bought Sorcerer's Stone and Madeleine L'Engle's Wrinkle in Time (Newberry Award winner) on the same day, assuming that Wrinkle (which I'd read when I was 10) would engage me more than Sorcerer's Stone

Surprisingly, I was wrong.  I love L'Engle, I still loved Wrinkle, and I heard L'Engle lecture at one point.  But still, I found that Sorcerer's Stone engaged me from a literary standpoint - as an adult reader - far more than did Wrinkle.  (Conceptually, Wrinkle has the edge over Sorcerer's Stone; but as the Potter series progresses, it reaches the level and depth of issues that L'Engle addresses in Wrinkle.)

I also discovered that each of the Potter books is progressively more "adult," in keeping with the aging and progressive maturity of Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, et al.  So, for example, Deathly Hallows is a much more satisfying read for me than Sorcerer's Stone because the former seems to me to be directed to a more adult audience than the latter.

All that said, your mileage may still vary :-)

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 10:51AM #8
REteach

I'm 54 and have all the Potter books and movies which I've seen/read multiple times.  I'll see the new one when the crowds die down.

Of interest, Jane, a couple years ago I finally talked my husband into reading the books.  The first couple he was kind of yadayada about.  Then he started getting hooked and had a hard time putting them down.  Kind of like The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, the style does age.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 1:28PM #9
DotNotInOz
We were so hooked on the series from the first that I bought two copies of each. Hubby reads much faster than I, so when he finished the book, we'd mail it to his parents.

You know you're addicted to a series when you both need a copy of each installment!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 3:18PM #10
Ebon

Jul 16, 2011 -- 11:06PM, christzen wrote:

I don't know,I'll admit to being 52 and loving the HP books.Not so much the movies,which can't seem to compete with JKR's ability to stir the imagination,but still,it's great stuff.For any generation.At least the books.

Often the case with book-to-movie transitions.

Spoiler alert ahead for those that haven't read the books or seen the last movie.

Has there ever been a better turn of a character than Snape,who ended up being possibly the bravest soul of the lot?

I thought that was fantastic. Right up until the endgame, you were never sure which side Snape was on or why.

Jul 17, 2011 -- 12:13AM, mountain_man wrote:

I wonder if there is a way to see  the last two back to back? I haven't seen part one yet and I'd like to  see that first.

I'd be surprised if there wasn't going to be an extended dvd that melds the two together.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook