Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 6:10PM #21
Paravani

Jul 17, 2011 -- 5:14PM, christzen wrote:

I agree that there is some great literature out there that could be made into movies.But I don't see much hint of it being done .Moviemakers tend to go after the blockbuster books that appeal to a wider audience than just  hardcore fantasy fans.

I think that Isaac Asimov's Foundation books are great reads,and are considered possibly the greatest sci-fi ever written.But I don't see it being made into a movie.

Niven's "Man-Kzin Wars" stories would also make a terrific movie series. 

Now that I think about it, however, the Kzin are disturbingly similar to Muslims in culture, lifestyle, and philosophy...  I wonder if that would be an advertising drawback or a draw?

;-D

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 6:55PM #22
Ebon

Jul 17, 2011 -- 6:00PM, REteach wrote:

Well, Ebon turned me on to Terry Pratchett.  I'm missing Commander Vimes like I miss Harry.

Huzzah, another Pratchett convert! There's another thirty-odd books to be adapted there as well.

If you'll accept another recommendation: Hunt down Chaz Brenchley's urban fantasy books. Dead Of Light and Light Errant concern a small-time crime family with supernatural abilities; Dispossesion concerns an amnesiac lawyer who happens to be friendly with a fallen angel; Paradise concerns the social crusade of a man who may - or may not - be the Second Coming and The Garden, The Refuge, The Samaritan and The Shelter are all very tense, atmospheric crime thrillers. I'd also recommend Simon R. Green's Nightside books. They're about an undercity where it's always 3am, the gods are drinking in the sleaziest bar around and one of the major character is Razor Eddie, punk god of the straight razor. Very similar in themes and feel to Gaiman's Neverwhere.

But I can only read them so many times in one year.

Terry used to turn out two great books every year, regular as clockwork but age and Alzheimers are slowing him down these days.

Oddly I just finished the Foundation series.  Interesting social commentary--women in good roles are practically nonexistant. 

I point you in the direction of "Shotgun" Suzie Shooter from the Nightside books. The name tells you everything you need to know.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 7:54PM #23
Merope

Jul 17, 2011 -- 5:33PM, Erey wrote:

I have read all the HP books, the last one was my least favorite but I did enjoy the movie. 

We went to see the Thursday night opening midnight movie so I sort of dozed a tiny bit between the battle with Voldemort and Harry entering some kind of after life. 

What whas the whole midnight screening like?  Was it more of a kids' event so that you brought you kids or ... ?   I've never been to a Potter midnight screening (lol and never will, now), so I'm interested in hearing about it from someone who has :-)

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 9:13PM #24
Erey

Jul 17, 2011 -- 7:54PM, Merope wrote:

Jul 17, 2011 -- 5:33PM, Erey wrote:

I have read all the HP books, the last one was my least favorite but I did enjoy the movie. 

We went to see the Thursday night opening midnight movie so I sort of dozed a tiny bit between the battle with Voldemort and Harry entering some kind of after life. 

What whas the whole midnight screening like?  Was it more of a kids' event so that you brought you kids or ... ?   I've never been to a Potter midnight screening (lol and never will, now), so I'm interested in hearing about it from someone who has :-)

It was not my idea to do the midnight showing.   I am more the see the movie after the first week so it is not so crowded type person.   Yes, lots of kids were there, alot were dressed up which is fun.  My sister organized this and her daughter was really gunning for the midnight showing.  I have some adult friends who really get into this and actuall work the event.  They are retained by the movie theatre to come and add to the evening.  The man looks alot like Hagrid on a normal day.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 9:43PM #25
hopebringer

took the family to the theater yesterday to see it.  We saw it in 2D because that showing was more convenient and less expensive .  I actually left the theater without any dissapointment .  Although I enjoy the cast , the music and the special effects , the screen plays of the books leave out vast material plot lines that  can make for some vagueness.   I enjoy the series quite a bit and like JKR's writing style as well as her imagination.  Because it is an epic battle it is good to see it on a big screen.

Challenge is a dragon with a gift in its mouth. Tame the dragon and the gift is yours. ~ Noela Evans
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2011 - 4:28AM #26
DotNotInOz
Mercedes Lackey for compelling epic fantasy for adults. Her Valdemar series is exquisite. For a trilogy of Buffy-like books, try the Diana Tregardes. We've both really enjoyed her 500 Kingdoms series, familiar fairy tales such as Sleeping Beauty expanded to novels with much interesting elaboration. Terrific fantasy writer!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2011 - 8:04AM #27
REteach

I have a lot of Mercedes Lackey on the bookshelf.

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2011 - 9:17AM #28
loveontheair

Hello,

I haven't seen any of these movies and no desire to see this one.

love

Moderated by Merope on Jul 19, 2011 - 06:16AM
Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2011 - 9:21AM #29
costrel

I have not read the Harry Potter books (or the Twilight books, or the Chronicles of Narnia books), but I have seen two of the Harry Potter movies, and liked them. In fact, the only Modern and Postmodern fantasy texts that I have read are Tolkien and W. B. Yeats. I suppose it is very odd that I have not read more contemporary fantasy books, not only because I majored in English Literature, but also because I have a great interest in Greek myths and European Medieval texts. But for some reason, I have only barely ventured into the world of 20th and 21st century fantasy.

Once Peter Jackson is finished filming The Hobbit, perhaps he might turn his attention to Tolkien's The Children of Hurin (the"Great Tale" Narn version that was edited by his son Christopher, first published as excerpts in Unfinished Tales and a few years ago published in its full form as a separate book). Based on Jackson's version of The Lord of the Rings, he seems to favor using Tolkien's dialogue, and The Children of Hurin has lots of excellent dialogue, especially in its final chapter. It is the only story that Tolkien wrote that I think can even be considered to have striven to reach (though ultimately failed to do so) the heights of Ancient Greek tragedy, such as we see in Sophocles's Oedipus Rex. Tolkien's tragedy takes on issues concerning fate, free will, grief, unrequited love, jealousy, incest, suicide, isolationism, and revenge. It even includes a dragon!

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 18, 2011 - 11:25AM #30
Christianlib

Jul 18, 2011 -- 9:17AM, loveontheair wrote:

Hello,

I haven't seen any of these movies and no desire to see this one.

love

Well, aren't you just the culturally and intellectually superior one!

Moderated by Merope on Jul 19, 2011 - 06:17AM
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 3 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook