Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows: Part 2
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 3:58PM #11
christzen

Jul 17, 2011 -- 3:18PM, Ebon wrote:

Often the case with book-to-movie transitions.

True.The only movies I have seen that matched the books were Jackson's LOTR .Possibly even better than the books.By the end of reading the ROTK I was begging for the Frodo/Sam trek to Mount Doom to get over with.Although PJ did have to leave out some interesting episodes,even at 3 1/2 hrs per movie/book.

But then I'm not much of a movie watcher,so my experience is limited.

Now can't wait for The Hobbit.After that,it looks bleak for fantasy movies  in the near future.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 4:06PM #12
Ebon

Jul 17, 2011 -- 3:58PM, christzen wrote:

True.The only movies I have seen that matched the books were Jackson's LOTR .Possibly even better than the books.By the end of reading the ROTK I was begging for the Frodo/Sam trek to Mount Doom to get over with.Although PJ did have to leave out some interesting episodes,even at 3 1/2 hrs per movie/book.

I had much the same experiance reading LOTR. Still, if PJ had to leave out some things, at least he left out the endless frickin' Elven poetry.

Now can't wait for The Hobbit.After that,it looks bleak for fantasy movies  in the near future.

Depends what you consider "fantasy". Superhero flicks often get lumped in with fantasy as well. There doesn't seem to be much high fantasy upcoming but plenty of superhero flicks.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 4:18PM #13
christzen

Jul 17, 2011 -- 4:06PM, Ebon wrote:

I had much the same experiance reading LOTR. Still, if PJ had to leave out some things, at least he left out the endless frickin' Elven poetry.

LOL. I started to say the very same thing,although I skipped over it in reading LOTR.But the Battle of the Shire would have been interesting,if anti-climatic.

I just hope JKR has the good sense to resist any temptation towards sequels.It was a great series,held up well throughout,and ended well.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 4:37PM #14
Paravani

Hi, All!

Bought tickets Thursday, saw it Friday.  Was terrific, but it didn't engage me as much as the books did -- all of which I'll have to read again, it's been so long since they first came out.

My daughter is a great reader, so one of the ways I've "kept up" with what's going on in her life is to read her books as soon as she's done with them.  At one point, that meant reading all of the "Babysitter's Club" series -- yuck! -- but it was a pleasure to which I looked forward as soon as she got hooked on Harry Potter.  I got hooked, as well -- I found that JKR in no way talked down to her young audience, but used sophisticated language and a fairly extensive vocabulary that would challenge some adult readers, yet is so engaging that many young adults who would otherwise be watching TV were motivated to work their way through Harry Potter instead.

For me and my daughter, all the Harry Potter books were pure pleasure.  Now that the last movie is made, I plan to buy full sets of both the books and the movies, which I consider to be fine examples of classic literature.

Jul 17, 2011 -- 3:58PM, christzen wrote:

But then I'm not much of a movie watcher,so my experience is limited.

Au contraire.  There is a wealth of fantasy literature still out there that hasn't been mined for movies. 

One of my favorite authors when I was a young adult was Andre Norton, who wrote dozens of sci-fi/fantasy books with engaging and original plots.  I remember that I especially enjoyed "The Moon of Three Rings".  With modern digital techniques, the time to bring her vivid imagination to life on film may have finally come.

Love,

-- Claudia

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 5:14PM #15
christzen

Jul 17, 2011 -- 4:37PM, Paravani wrote:

Au contraire.  There is a wealth of fantasy literature still out there that hasn't been mined for movies. 

One of my favorite authors when I was a young adult was Andre Norton, who wrote dozens of sci-fi/fantasy books with engaging and original plots.  I remember that I especially enjoyed "The Moon of Three Rings".  With modern digital techniques, the time to bring her vivid imagination to life on film may have finally come.

Love,

-- Claudia

I agree that there is some great literature out there that could be made into movies.But I don't see much hint of it being done .Moviemakers tend to go after the blockbuster books that appeal to a wider audience than just  hardcore fantasy fans.

I think that Isaac Asimov's Foundation books are great reads,and are considered possibly the greatest sci-fi ever written.But I don't see it being made into a movie.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 5:22PM #16
Abner1

Christzen wrote:

> I agree that there is some great literature out there that could be made into movies.

> But I don't see much hint of it being done .  Moviemakers tend to go after the
> blockbuster books that appeal to a wider audience than just  hardcore fantasy fans.

> I think that Isaac Asimov's Foundation books are great reads,and are considered

> possibly the greatest sci-fi ever written.But I don't see it being made into a movie.

Pretty much.  Where there are close to a dozen take-offs on the Wizard of Oz planned for the next 10 years or so.  Not sure how many will actually make it through, but probably more than we really need.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 5:33PM #17
Erey

I have read all the HP books, the last one was my least favorite but I did enjoy the movie. 

We went to see the Thursday night opening midnight movie so I sort of dozed a tiny bit between the battle with Voldemort and Harry entering some kind of after life. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 5:49PM #18
Ebon

Jul 17, 2011 -- 5:14PM, christzen wrote:

I agree that there is some great literature out there that could be made into movies.But I don't see much hint of it being done .Moviemakers tend to go after the blockbuster books that appeal to a wider audience than just  hardcore fantasy fans.

I think that Isaac Asimov's Foundation books are great reads,and are considered possibly the greatest sci-fi ever written.But I don't see it being made into a movie.

I'd love to see a trilogy of Foundation movies although I don't think they're quite the greatest SF ever written (I tend to go for Heinlein's Stranger In A Strange Land which is pretty much unfilmable). Then again, it seems like virtually everything Phillip K. Dick ever wrote is being made into a movie and I confess a certain fondness for Battlefield Earth on the so-bad-it's-great level.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 6:00PM #19
REteach

Well, Ebon turned me on to Terry Pratchett.  I'm missing Commander Vimes like I miss Harry.  But I can only read them so many times in one year. Oddly I just finished the Foundation series.  Interesting social commentary--women in good roles are practically nonexistant.  

BTW I love the names JKR thought up for her characters.  

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 17, 2011 - 6:04PM #20
Erey

I read stranger in a strange land, it was a good book but did not do it for me.

As far as a fantasy book I often return to The Ozark Trilogy which I found delightfull but is inexplicably out of print now. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 4  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook