Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Parents Turn Children in for Theft
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 4:06PM #1
Girlchristian
According to the story, a group of kids were caught on surveillance cameras robbing a convenience store. This woman recognized her two children, age 13 and 15, and made them turn themselves in.

news.yahoo.com/video/milwakeewisn-186677...

I say kudos to her!! My parents would have done the same thing.
"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 7:02PM #2
DotNotInOz
Indeed. She wins Mother of the Year, sez me. Good for her!
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 10:11PM #3
Hatman
Agreed; far too many parents these days think they're "protecting" their children by insulating them from the consequences of their folly(ies).  Those who do this serve only to fill the world with fools.

Warmest regards-

Hatman
"History records that the moneychangers have used every form of abuse, deceit, intrigue, and violent means possible to maintain their control over governments by controlling money and it's issuance."
-- James Madison(1751-1836), Father of the Constitution for the USA, 4th US President
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 07, 2011 - 10:59PM #4
Heretic_for_Christ

Certainly, the mother did the right thing. But before I award any medals to her, I'd want to know how it is that she has managed to raise 2 teenage sons who are both apparently oblivious to the essential wrongness of committing crime. I don't expect kids to behave perfectly, but robbery is not just a case of juvenile shenanigans.

I prayed for deliverance from the hard world of facts and logic to the happy land where fantasy and prejudice reign. But God spake unto me, saying, "No, keep telling the truth," and to that end afflicted me with severe Trenchant Mouth. So I'm sorry for making cutting remarks, but it's the will of God.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 3:18AM #5
DotNotInOz
Since this was a group of kids, I bet parental admonitions about committing crimes went whoosh out of their immature wee minds with being cool as perceived by their peers foremost. 

Even the best-reared teenager can be suddenly overcome by a fit of monumentally stupid. Combine one of those with their typical conviction that they're immortal, and you've any good parents' worst nightmare.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 3:22AM #6
CharikIeia

Yes, this brain rewiring that happens in puberty takes its tolls...

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 6:15AM #7
Ebon

Jul 7, 2011 -- 10:59PM, Heretic_for_Christ wrote:

Certainly, the mother did the right thing. But before I award any medals to her, I'd want to know how it is that she has managed to raise 2 teenage sons who are both apparently oblivious to the essential wrongness of committing crime. I don't expect kids to behave perfectly, but robbery is not just a case of juvenile shenanigans.

Where I grew up, shoplifting was a fairly normal rite of passage to be part of the "in crowd".

Teenagers are going through a fairly important psychological process of establishing their own identity as seperate from their parents and minor brushes with the law are a fairly normal part of that. You commit some minor crime like shoplifting or underage drinking or motorcycling without a helmet (helmets are mandatory here), get slapped on the wrist and learn your lesson from it.

That said, full-blown robbery goes rather beyond the normal teenage "testing the limits" behaviour.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 9:08AM #8
TemplarS

Jul 8, 2011 -- 6:15AM, Ebon wrote:

Where I grew up, shoplifting was a fairly normal rite of passage to be part of the "in crowd".

Teenagers are going through a fairly important psychological process of establishing their own identity as seperate from their parents and minor brushes with the law are a fairly normal part of that. You commit some minor crime like shoplifting or underage drinking or motorcycling without a helmet (helmets are mandatory here), get slapped on the wrist and learn your lesson from it.

That said, full-blown robbery goes rather beyond the normal teenage "testing the limits" behaviour.

Well, when I was growing up (and, in my area, even now) shoplifting consisted of grabbing a couple of small items, shoving them in your pocket, and casually sauntering out of the store.  If my parents had caught me at something like that, I don't think they would have called the cops, but they would have made me take the items back to the store, pay for them,  and apologize to the manager.  That would have been humiliating enough.

But what was shown in the video is in a different category altogether. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 9:10AM #9
Ebon

Jul 8, 2011 -- 9:08AM, TemplarS wrote:

Well, when I was growing up (and, in my area, even now) shoplifting consisted of grabbing a couple of small items, shoving them in your pocket, and casually sauntering out of the store.  If my parents had caught me at something like that, I don't think they would have called the cops, but they would have made me take the items back to the store, pay for them,  and apologize to the manager.  That would have been humiliating enough.

But what was shown in the video is in a different category altogether.

In fairness, I can't see the video since I'm having to use Kat's PC (my mobo died and my new one won't be here until next week).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 08, 2011 - 9:23PM #10
McAtheist

High fives to the parents that took their kids to the police after seeing them on that video!  Those kids are going to learn that stupid decisions can have serious consequences and that's a lesson we can all use a refresher course on.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 3  •  1 2 3 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook