Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View How will SSM detract from traditional marriage?
3 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2011 - 2:58PM #1
Mostyn32
The oft-repeated argument against making same sex marriages legal is that this will detract from traditional marriage. I have wracked my brains trying to figure out how this would come about, and I've been unable to come up with one solid reason.

I was married to my husband for almost 46 years. Ours was a traditional marriage - one man/one woman - but we never felt that the same sex couples in our circle of friends had any effect, positive or negative, on our marriage.   

Would those who make the claim give me their reasons for it?
"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2011 - 4:16PM #2
darcamani2

If one's marriage is threatened, look within.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2011 - 4:31PM #3
hyoka

Jul 4, 2011 -- 4:16PM, darcamani2 wrote:

If one's marriage is threatened, look within.

Dar

((((Dar)))

Best response I've ever heard to that question

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 04, 2011 - 9:21PM #4
REteach

Like Mostyn, I am happy when others can share what I have.  The joy of others certainly does not threaten my marriage. 

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize what you heard was not what I meant...
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 12:00PM #5
Mostyn32

I find it fascinating that this thread has been up for almost 24 hours and the only people who have responded are people who support the legalization of same-sex marriage. I notice that there have been alrnost 70 'views', but no posts from those on the other side of this issue. Is that because when asked for specifics they can't come up with any?  

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."  from 'A Learned Discourse on Justification', a sermon by Richard Hooker (1554-1600).
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 1:21PM #6
Ken

Jul 5, 2011 -- 12:00PM, Mostyn32 wrote:

I find it fascinating that this thread has been up for almost 24 hours and the only people who have responded are people who support the legalization of same-sex marriage. I notice that there have been alrnost 70 'views', but no posts from those on the other side of this issue. Is that because when asked for specifics they can't come up with any?  

Yes. I don't find it so much fascinating as drearily predictable. At least they seem to recognize that they can't come up with any specifics and have decided to say nothing. If only they'd do that all the time.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 1:42PM #7
mainecaptain

Jul 4, 2011 -- 9:21PM, REteach wrote:

Like Mostyn, I am happy when others can share what I have.  The joy of others certainly does not threaten my marriage. 

This is how I feel as well.

And perhaps that is part of the problem, those who want to prevent marriage equality do not want people they hate to have love and security.

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 2:21PM #8
IreneAdler

Well, I keep peeping in to see if anyone has come up with anything. That might explain some of the views being counted. Be mighty surprised if someone does come up with something.

I just don’t get the rationalizations, the logic jumps.  Why does legalizing ssm mean incestuous or other relationships must also be legalized?

And if the objection stems from certain interpretations of religious tomes, why the fear? Thought God only smites those a-breaking the ‘rules’.  So no worries-the other guy will be toast. Or does God need some help in this department? IF so, might look into getting a better God.

The only ‘detraction’ will be the loss of the ability to look upon those who do not enjoy legal marriage with contempt.  That is often the only thing some people have to boost their tiny, little egos.   

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 2:59PM #9
Do_unto_others

"Would those who make the claim give me their reasons for it?"

Frankly, I woiuldn't hold my breath waiting for such a reply - it is non-existant and has been since the issue became an issue. There simply are NO non-religious "reasons" to withold equal treatment before the law from some citizens.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Jul 05, 2011 - 3:04PM #10
IreneAdler

Jul 5, 2011 -- 2:59PM, Do_unto_others wrote:

"Would those who make the claim give me their reasons for it?"

Frankly, I woiuldn't hold my breath waiting for such a reply - it is non-existant and has been since the issue became an issue. There simply are NO non-religious "reasons" to withold equal treatment before the law from some citizens.

I agree.

Although as I read your post it occurred to me there is one reason: spite.

Which, if truly the case, reflects very badly on those who feel this way.

Irene

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook