Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View The perils of fast food and coffee
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 12:23AM #1
solfeggio
Drinking coffee with fatty fast food will raise blood sugar levels because caffeine interferes with the body's mechanism for clearing sugars from the blood. 

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/11...

jn.nutrition.org/content/141/4/574.abstr...

www.redorbit.com/news/health/2023076/cof...

Bottom line here is that, if you're worried about your blood sugar levels, it is better to have caffeine-free drinks with your fast food.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 12:38AM #2
jane2

Apr 3, 2011 -- 12:23AM, solfeggio wrote:

Drinking coffee with fatty fast food will raise blood sugar levels because caffeine interferes with the body's mechanism for clearing sugars from the blood. 

www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/11...

jn.nutrition.org/content/141/4/574.abstr...

www.redorbit.com/news/health/2023076/cof...

Bottom line here is that, if you're worried about your blood sugar levels, it is better to have caffeine-free drinks with your fast food.

Okay. What's the point, though??? Another dietary guide ???????????? I am beginning to wonder how many guides this small audience needs.

Sorry, solf, but it gets old. (I'm much more interested in what is happening with world at large without too much feminine emotionalism.) My education was almost entirely based on intellectual rationalism, with a bit of wit for the fun of it and I was educated by the very learned women who were Carondelet Sisters of St. Joseph.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 1:05AM #3
Ebon

I've never seen the attraction of coffee with fast food anyway. I mean, I love my coffee and drink collosal amounts of it but drinking hot drinks with fast food has always struck me as weird. I'd much rather have a Coke or Sprite.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 6:45AM #4
DotNotInOz

No biggie to me since being gluten-intolerant, I can't eat anything but salad at fast food places anyway unless I'm craving a Mickey D's Quarter-Pounder with cheese enough to endure feeling rotten for about three days. I've gotten smarter, and that doesn't happen but extremely rarely anymore.

The only fast food I ever drank coffee with was breakfast anyway. Just not that much of a coffee drinker.

Geez, Ebon, soda will kill you as effectively as coffee. Listen to Solfeggio. Eat and drink healthier, man. < sassy wink and grin as she ducks and runs for cover >

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 7:33AM #5
IreneAdler

Apr 3, 2011 -- 6:45AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

No biggie to me since being gluten-intolerant, I can't eat anything but salad at fast food places anyway unless I'm craving a Mickey D's Quarter-Pounder with cheese enough to endure feeling rotten for about three days. I've gotten smarter, and that doesn't happen but extremely rarely anymore.

The only fast food I ever drank coffee with was breakfast anyway. Just not that much of a coffee drinker.

Geez, Ebon, soda will kill you as effectively as coffee. Listen to Solfeggio. Eat and drink healthier, man. < sassy wink and grin as she ducks and runs for cover >

I hear ya!

It very much amazed me how pervasive wheat products are in fast foods. This is independent of the obvious like buns.  Take french fries.  These have wheat additives- I presume for flavor enhancement.  But I did learn that In'N'Out doesn't add wheat additives to their foods.  And one can order a bunless burger. Haven't done this yet, but I know if I get a hankering I can go somewhere. But the idea of a bunless burger just ain't the same, in my opinion.

And I won't be ordering coffee with my burger as I don't drink it.  So I'm safe.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 7:46AM #6
DotNotInOz

Apr 3, 2011 -- 7:33AM, IreneAdler wrote:

It very much amazed me how pervasive wheat products are in fast foods. This is independent of the obvious like buns.  Take french fries.  These have wheat additives- I presume for flavor enhancement. 

Not just fast food. A celiac or gluten-intolerant really can't eat much of any processed foodstuffs as you likely are aware, Irene. Wheat flour is used as a thickener in sauces, as a coating for various reasons, and any food which has a label saying "spices" may contain wheat flour, too. It's added in superfine form to lots of seasonings to help keep them freeflowing.

The wheat additive to frozen french fries is to keep them from sticking together when frozen. The same is true of packaged shredded cheese. That's why it doesn't become a gloppy mass in the package, unlike moist cheeses you shred and try to store for later use. 

Even things like candies are often coated with it to prevent sticking.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 9:28AM #7
costrel

If I'm eating at a fast food restaurant, I don't plan on eating healthy anyway, so why not just have a coffee with that burger and those fries? I once would order the milk with my fast food, but I no longer do that, and go for the big guzzler of pop instead. (I never drink coffee, not even at home.)

As for wheat -- I once knew a science teacher who did not believe that humans should eat grains. His reasoning was that since grains are recent foods from our recent agricultural past (as opposed to our much longer hunting and gathering past), that the human stomach is not evolutionarily adapted to them. It seems that the most-ideal human diet based on our evolutionary adaptations would be meat (including fish and eggs), nuts, fruits, and vegetables.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 11:41AM #8
DotNotInOz

Yes, well, it is true that some vegetarians and certainly vegans insist that cow's milk is something that no human should ever consume. So, I don't know that your choice of milk with your fast food, Costrel, was significantly better than coffee or a soda. At least moderately, I'd say.

You do make an excellent point, however, that any sensible person choosing to eat fast food realizes that they're hardly eating healthfully unless they order something like a salad without dressing and unsweetened tea or water to drink. As an occasional indulgence, even a burger and fries with a caffeinated regular soda probably causes no harm.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 2:43PM #9
costrel

Apr 3, 2011 -- 11:41AM, DotNotInOz wrote:

Yes, well, it is true that some vegetarians and certainly vegans insist that cow's milk is something that no human should ever consume. So, I don't know that your choice of milk with your fast food, Costrel, was significantly better than coffee or a soda. At least moderately, I'd say.

After spending some time about 5 years ago on Beliefnet's now nearly-dead Animal Rights Debate Board, I am well-versed in the so-called "evils" of cow's milk. I am reminded of what Thoreau wrote in his journals when he was thirty-three: "It [water] is the only drink of a wise man, and only the foolish habitually use any other." Tea, coffee, milk, soda-pop, beer, wine, fruit juices -- all of these beverages are considered unhealthy by someone or other, and many people, religious and secular, abstain from one or many of these. I, though, will continue to drink my habitual water along with my habitual milk and every now and then a cup of tea or a can of pop (and once or twice a year a glass of wine for dinner during the holidays). I see no reason to abstain from every drink besides water (though I dislike the taste of coffee and beer, so I have no reason to drink any of that stuff).

You do make an excellent point, however, that any sensible person choosing to eat fast food realizes that they're hardly eating healthfully unless they order something like a salad without dressing and unsweetened tea or water to drink. As an occasional indulgence, even a burger and fries with a caffeinated regular soda probably causes no harm.

If I really wanted to eat a salad while I was on the road, I'd go to a truck stop and buy one of those gigantic salads for two and a half dollars and make it last for at least two meals. That is a much better deal than buying a little salad and a little cup of fuit and yogurt (I know -- more dairy!) at a fast food restaurant such as McDonalds.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Apr 03, 2011 - 3:54PM #10
DotNotInOz

Apr 3, 2011 -- 2:43PM, costrel wrote:

After spending some time about 5 years ago on Beliefnet's now nearly-dead Animal Rights Debate Board, I am well-versed in the so-called "evils" of cow's milk. I am reminded of what Thoreau wrote in his journals when he was thirty-three: "It [water] is the only drink of a wise man, and only the foolish habitually use any other." Tea, coffee, milk, soda-pop, beer, wine, fruit juices -- all of these beverages are considered unhealthy by someone or other, and many people, religious and secular, abstain from one or many of these.

And you probably also know that Thoreau was something of a crank about various things.

Anyway, assuming that he adhered scrupulously to his own advice, doing so could well have contributed to his dying of tuberculosis, susceptibility to which we know today was brought about by the malnutrition of many 19th century folk.

Knowing as I do that while living his presumed hermit's existence at Walden Pond he walked the railroad tracks daily to lunch at his mother's house in Concord, I have my doubts that he was so virtuous as to drink only water consistently. If he didn't, such is the human condition, of course.

As for what's considered unhealthy by someone, you're quite correct that all of the above have been cited at one time or another. Even water can be consumed to suicidal excess if one overhydrates to the point of cardiac arrest.

Life itself is terminal.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook