Post Reply
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
Switch to Forum Live View NASA plans to send men to asteroids by 2025
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 3:29PM #41
Christianlib
Posts: 21,848

something like motion triggered nukes


 


Evidently, as we are discovering, those are the same things as Nuclear Power Generation plants.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 4:00PM #42
allthegoodnamesweretaken
Posts: 11,634

Mar 30, 2011 -- 3:29PM, Christianlib wrote:


something like motion triggered nukes


 


Evidently, as we are discovering, those are the same things as Nuclear Power Generation plants.




 


No room for uni taskers on asteroids!

Yesterday, in America, 100 million gun owners did nothing.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 7:13PM #43
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

Mar 30, 2011 -- 12:34PM, teilhard wrote:

Slight Problem, though, also with THAT Arrangement ...


Where is it Written than any particular National Government has The Right or Authority to assign Mining Rights (on an Asteroid or on The Moon) to some Corporation ... ???


The USA does NOT "own" Outer Space ...



Point. The UN has jurisdiction over space (at least as far as humans are concerned, Lord knows what would happen if EBEs turn up) so presumably, they'd be the ones to divvy up who gets the rights to what (cue lots of anti-UN ranting from the right).

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 8:29PM #44
Yavanna
Posts: 3,149

Mar 30, 2011 -- 7:13PM, Ebon wrote:


Mar 30, 2011 -- 12:34PM, teilhard wrote:

Slight Problem, though, also with THAT Arrangement ...


Where is it Written than any particular National Government has The Right or Authority to assign Mining Rights (on an Asteroid or on The Moon) to some Corporation ... ???


The USA does NOT "own" Outer Space ...



Point. The UN has jurisdiction over space (at least as far as humans are concerned, Lord knows what would happen if EBEs turn up) so presumably, they'd be the ones to divvy up who gets the rights to what (cue lots of anti-UN ranting from the right).





You know in the olden days, planting a flag was the symbol of conquest. Fortunately for the rest of the world, the United States didn't claim the moon as a new territory. ;)

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 30, 2011 - 8:45PM #45
teilhard
Posts: 51,836

And by Treaty, "Antarctica" does NOT belong to any one Nation, nor do The Oceans beyond The 200 Mile Economic Zone ...


Thus Far, there have been NO Treaties delineating who may or may not "own," or "mine" or otherwise exploit an Asteroid or Comet ...


Mar 30, 2011 -- 8:29PM, Yavanna wrote:


Mar 30, 2011 -- 7:13PM, Ebon wrote:


Mar 30, 2011 -- 12:34PM, teilhard wrote:

Slight Problem, though, also with THAT Arrangement ...


Where is it Written than any particular National Government has The Right or Authority to assign Mining Rights (on an Asteroid or on The Moon) to some Corporation ... ???


The USA does NOT "own" Outer Space ...



Point. The UN has jurisdiction over space (at least as far as humans are concerned, Lord knows what would happen if EBEs turn up) so presumably, they'd be the ones to divvy up who gets the rights to what (cue lots of anti-UN ranting from the right).





You know in the olden days, planting a flag was the symbol of conquest. Fortunately for the rest of the world, the United States didn't claim the moon as a new territory. ;)





Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Mar 31, 2011 - 4:43PM #46
Ebon
Posts: 10,148

Mar 30, 2011 -- 8:45PM, teilhard wrote:

And by Treaty, "Antarctica" does NOT belong to any one Nation, nor do The Oceans beyond The 200 Mile Economic Zone ...


Thus Far, there have been NO Treaties delineating who may or may not "own," or "mine" or otherwise exploit an Asteroid or Comet ...



No but treaties can be made for that eventuality relatively easily.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook