Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View NASA plans to send men to asteroids by 2025
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 5:54PM #11
Christianlib

No nation ever became great, or stayed great, under the guidance of Conservative 'Fraidy Cats.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 5:56PM #12
Yavanna

Mar 27, 2011 -- 1:34PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Cool.

We need to put space exploration back into high gear.

+1

We already should've colonized the moon in the 70s and be in the process of doing the same for Mars.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 8:13AM #13
IreneAdler

Space exploration is really the only reason I would want to live forever. Would love to watch each step until we get to the very outer reaches of the universe. Unfortunately, only way for that to occur is immortality on my part (better hit the gym more often....). 

When they announced the end of the space shuttle missions, I rather feared that meant the end of any real space exploration during my life time.

Would prefer Mars landing instead of an asteroid, but I'll take what I can get.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 4:38PM #14
Ebon

Mar 28, 2011 -- 8:13AM, IreneAdler wrote:

Would prefer Mars landing instead of an asteroid, but I'll take what I can get.

Think of it this way: An asteroid landing provides more info that can be used to make a Mars trip more likely.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 4:43PM #15
solfeggio

LOL.  I just had a look at this thread to see where it was going, and I found myself smiling.  Truly, I'm even writing this with a smile.  It's hard to believe that people still believe in the fantastic notion of some day living on other planets. 

But, OK - so, supposing some human (American, of course) one day actually manages to land on Mars?  Then what?  Do you honestly expect that some country (the U.S., of course) is then going to spend billions to build enormous 'space ships' like you see in science fiction movies, and load them up with the chosen few (millionaires and billionaires and friends of politicians, etc.) and fly up to Mars to colonise that planet?

Or any other planet, for that matter?  There are plenty of them out there.  The problem, of course, is that they're too far away to get to.  But, hey, you can dream, can't you?

But wait!  We're forgetting the moon!  The space ships could get there, couldn't they?  The moon?  Hello?  There isn't any atmosphere on the moon.  Everybody would have to run around in space suits all the time.  In fact, the moon is uninhabitable.  Gee, that would be a great place to live.

All this talk sounds suspiciously like a combination of the films 2012, Armageddon, and Deep Impact with a little of Independence Day and maybe The Fifth Element thrown in.

Any country anywhere would be best advised to channel their money and energies into trying to keep this planet where we now live habitable, rather than indulging in pleasant but ultimately unprofitable pipe dreams about living on Alpha Centauri.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 4:54PM #16
Christianlib

You entire post presumes that the only reason for space exploraiton is colonization.  Not true.  Not even close to true.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 5:16PM #17
Yavanna

Mar 28, 2011 -- 4:43PM, solfeggio wrote:

LOL.  I just had a look at this thread to see where it was going, and I found myself smiling.  Truly, I'm even writing this with a smile.  It's hard to believe that people still believe in the fantastic notion of some day living on other planets. 

But, OK - so, supposing some human (American, of course) one day actually manages to land on Mars?  Then what?  Do you honestly expect that some country (the U.S., of course) is then going to spend billions to build enormous 'space ships' like you see in science fiction movies, and load them up with the chosen few (millionaires and billionaires and friends of politicians, etc.) and fly up to Mars to colonise that planet?

Or any other planet, for that matter?  There are plenty of them out there.  The problem, of course, is that they're too far away to get to.  But, hey, you can dream, can't you?

But wait!  We're forgetting the moon!  The space ships could get there, couldn't they?  The moon?  Hello?  There isn't any atmosphere on the moon.  Everybody would have to run around in space suits all the time.  In fact, the moon is uninhabitable.  Gee, that would be a great place to live.

All this talk sounds suspiciously like a combination of the films 2012, Armageddon, and Deep Impact with a little of Independence Day and maybe The Fifth Element thrown in.

Any country anywhere would be best advised to channel their money and energies into trying to keep this planet where we now live habitable, rather than indulging in pleasant but ultimately unprofitable pipe dreams about living on Alpha Centauri.

Your level of ignorance is startling. Maybe you should actually try reading something before coming across in such a way. You'll learn something. In fact, you'll learn a lot of things.

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 5:19PM #18
Ebon

The moon isn't uninhabitable at all. There is both water and oxygen there, it's just locked away in the rock. I'm also not getting the mad-on against space research. It's not an either/or choice between saving the earth and exploring the cosmos, we can do both.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 5:51PM #19
Yavanna

Mar 28, 2011 -- 5:19PM, Ebon wrote:

The moon isn't uninhabitable at all. There is both water and oxygen there, it's just locked away in the rock. I'm also not getting the mad-on against space research. It's not an either/or choice between saving the earth and exploring the cosmos, we can do both.

I'm still giggling about the "we'd have to wear spacesuits!" declaration. Ha-ha!

- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 28, 2011 - 7:07PM #20
Bluedog1a

Aren't asteroids loaded with iron, nickel and other metals?

congress Congress
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 2 of 5  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook