Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Switch to Forum Live View NASA plans to send men to asteroids by 2025
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2011 - 9:53PM #1
Ebon
Courtesy of AOL Space (link below):

Apparently, NASA have plans to land humans on an asteroid and safely return them to earth by 2025. A roung trip to the asteroids NASA is currently considering would take roughly six months. It would also be both expensive and risky but would have two major reasons to do it:

1) Scientific information.

2) Minerals.

Yes, I'm a great big geek and find this exciting.

www.aolnews.com/2011/03/25/nasa-plans-20...
He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Fiat justitia, ruat caelum

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 25, 2011 - 10:14PM #2
solfeggio

Bread and circuses, Ebon.  Make a big enough side show for the masses, make up some nonsense about how it'll provide 'scientific information,' and they'll buy it every time. 

You're right about one thing here: It'll be expensive.  And it'll be paid for by the taxes of the workingclass people who can ill afford such nonsense.  You don't honestly think that any Congress will pass laws to tax the rich, do you, to help pay for this? 

Never mind that the average person can't afford to get sick because the country still doesn't have a decent health care system.  Or that many people are out of work because the companies have outsourced so many jobs.  And there's the fact that the bridges, roads, and dams are in sore need of reparis.   As well, I've just read where the Republicans want to do away with food stamps.

But, hey, it's so important to send men to asteroids.

What a crock.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 1:53AM #3
Yavanna

Mar 25, 2011 -- 9:53PM, Ebon wrote:

Courtesy of AOL Space (link below):

Apparently, NASA have plans to land humans on an asteroid and safely return them to earth by 2025. A roung trip to the asteroids NASA is currently considering would take roughly six months. It would also be both expensive and risky but would have two major reasons to do it:

1) Scientific information.

2) Minerals.

Yes, I'm a great big geek and find this exciting.

www.aolnews.com/2011/03/25/nasa-plans-20...

Absolutely awesome! Thank you, Ebon! This is fantastic news!

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 2:26AM #4
Ebon

Sorry, solf, I'm lining up with Yav on this one. It's exciting and scientifically important, possibly profitable, and it'll be cool so yeah, I'm a great big geek and the two of us will be over on this side comparing model spaceships.

I'll be happy to join your outrage at everything you mentioned and especially the Republican scheme to just plain murder the poor but I don't think it's an either/or choice.

He who oppresses the poor shows contempt for their Maker, but whoever is kind to the needy honors God. ~ Proverbs 14:31

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 2:29AM #5
Yavanna

Mar 26, 2011 -- 2:26AM, Ebon wrote:

Sorry, solf, I'm lining up with Yav on this one. It's exciting and scientifically important, possibly profitable, and it'll be cool so yeah, I'm a great big geek and the two of us will be over on this side comparing model spaceships.

I have a desk lamp of the original Enterprise from Star Trek. The light shines down from the bottom of the saucer section.

The dwarves of yore made mighty spells,
While hammers fell like ringing bells
In places deep, where dark things sleep,
In hollow halls beneath the fells.

For ancient king and elvish lord
There many a gloaming golden hoard
They shaped and wrought, and light they caught
To hide in gems on hilt of sword.
- J.R.R. Tolkien
Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 11:29AM #6
teilhard

The Voyage to The Asteroids likely will atttract Corporate Sponsors, including "Preparation H" ...

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 26, 2011 - 3:34PM #7
solfeggio

Ebon -

I strongly suspect that you're hoping to be one of those guys going to the asteroids.

Well, good luck on that one, mate.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 9:19AM #8
Ebon

I'll happily confess that a small part of me would love to be one of the lucky people to do so, yes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 1:34PM #9
mytmouse57

Cool.

We need to put space exploration back into high gear.

Quick Reply
Cancel
3 years ago  ::  Mar 27, 2011 - 2:06PM #10
Ebon

Mar 27, 2011 -- 1:34PM, mytmouse57 wrote:

Cool.

We need to put space exploration back into high gear.

Couldn't agree more.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook