Page 4 of 20  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen...
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 10:51AM #31
Christianlib

Rab,

Most Americans seem to have a congenital inability to understand, or even recognize the existence of, other cultures and other modes of thought.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 11:54AM #32
rabello

Jan 29, 2011 -- 10:51AM, Christianlib wrote:

Rab,

Most Americans seem to have a congenital inability to understand, or even recognize the existence of, other cultures and other modes of thought.

Or the human need (note: not "Islamist" need) to live free of oppression

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 12:01PM #33
darcamani

Christianlib;

do you know most Americans? There are over 300,000,000  of us.  Have you met everyone?   Have you met  and cared for your neighbor?

This horror in the Middle East and Africa is a human problem.  There are a couple BILLION of folk living on that end of the planet, know those? 

Over 6 billion folk. over all.

Neighbors, friends, family.   So what if culture and religion is different, so what?

We all have to breathe, eat, drink, poop and live gently and for some odd reason we,(humans),  arn't, over really stuck reasons.

So what are you doing?   No need to brag, simply make ones' life easier, quietly.  I can't travel that far yet I do hold my neighborhood close.

Politics and all.

Dar

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 12:06PM #34
rabello

Jan 29, 2011 -- 12:42AM, Karma_yeshe_dorje wrote:

Nobody here seems to have said much about the interaction between technology and society!

Are you referring to oil?   Or, perhaps, secret prisons and enhanced interrogation techniques (which rely, to some extent, on "technology").  Or, perhaps to tear gas cannisters labelled "Made in USA"?

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 1:39PM #35
Christianlib

Jan 29, 2011 -- 12:01PM, darcamani wrote:

Christianlib;

do you know most Americans? There are over 300,000,000  of us.  Have you met everyone?   Have you met  and cared for your neighbor?

This horror in the Middle East and Africa is a human problem.  There are a couple BILLION of folk living on that end of the planet, know those? 

Over 6 billion folk. over all.

Neighbors, friends, family.   So what if culture and religion is different, so what?

We all have to breathe, eat, drink, poop and live gently and for some odd reason we,(humans),  arn't, over really stuck reasons.

So what are you doing?   No need to brag, simply make ones' life easier, quietly.  I can't travel that far yet I do hold my neighborhood close.

Politics and all.

Dar

I don't know what has upset you.  My point was/is, we very much need to care about those (now) 7 Billion people.  All of them.  Not just the ones who politically, religiously, or economically happen to "line up" with Americans.

AND, if you read and listen to "America", you can see that that willingness is missing in many of our fellow citizens.

And, no, I don't "know" all 300,000,000 Americans, but I DO know a representative sample, and read an even larger sample, and that, just like Opinion Polling, makes my opinion statistically valid.  Only if YOU happen to "know" all 300,000,000 would you be in a position to lecture me about that.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 1:59PM #36
mainecaptain

I was watching Richard Engel last night in Cairo, he did a nice job, he respects the people there like they are kin. I sincerely hope the people there get what they deserve and are fighting for.

Hopefully with very  little bloodshed.

As human beings we deserve no less. Jobs, justice, humane treatment. not necessarily in that order

A tyrant must put on the appearance of uncommon devotion to religion. Subjects are less apprehensive of illegal treatment from a ruler whom they consider god-fearing and pious. On the other hand, they do less easily move against him, believing that he has the gods on his side. Aristotle
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow. Plato..
"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives" Jackie Robinson
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 3:46PM #37
Erey

Now Jordon is exploding also

english.aljazeera.net/news/middleeast/20...

I have to assume they would do this if they could in Saudi Arabia, but they can't....yet.

It is a very delicate time for that part of the world and I see these countries as very vunerable right now, I just really hope and pray for the best.

Karma mentioned technology and the uprising which is true, Twitter and other social media have been very key in this pan-arab revolution.  Many say it would not have happened without it. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 5:28PM #38
CharikIeia

Jan 29, 2011 -- 8:06AM, rocketjsquirell wrote:

Chari

It is a mistake to think that because someone uses facebook and twitter they are "like me"

Then don't do that, Squirrel - nobody asks you. I, for instance, don't use "social network services" like the two you mention - so in this case, the mistake can even be avoided easily.

To detect similarity, you need to look at education, socio-economic status, such things - and listen to what the people actually say, watch what they do, whether it is something you can meaningfully position, or not.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 5:32PM #39
CharikIeia

Jan 29, 2011 -- 9:24AM, rabello wrote:

40% of the Egyptian people live under the poverty level -- which is not "middle class."

If this is written in reaction to my post: you seem not to have followed the events in Tunisia very closely, is all I can say to that, rabello. People don't take to the streets out of poverty. The poor are used to being poor. The Tunisian revolution was carried by an educated population layer, which saw its privileges, prospects and prosperity threatened by a dead crust of political clay that made upward social mobility a far-away dream. These people don't want their life chances stifled by yet another decade of dictatorship.

tl;dr
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jan 29, 2011 - 7:22PM #40
rabello

Jan 29, 2011 -- 5:32PM, CharikIeia wrote:

If this is written in reaction to my post: you seem not to have followed the events in Tunisia very closely, is all I can say to that, rabello.

It wasn't.

I agree with what you said, actually; obviously didn't make that clear.

Jan 29, 2011 -- 5:32PM, CharikIeia wrote:

These people don't want their life chances stifled by yet another decade of dictatorship.

Yes, I know.   I didn't mean to suggest that poverty, per se, was fueling this uprising.

And as I wrote in the post, along with some other things that may or may not be relevant: "and after 30 years of autocratic rule, (Mubarak) intended to install his son has his successor, is the spark that turned a simmering pot into a "boil."  They want him to step down.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 20  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook