Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Church to burn Qu'rans on Sept. 11 anniversary
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:18AM #1
Jeanninehunter

On the anniversary of Sept. 11, a Florida church plans on burning copies of the holy book embraced by millions of Muslims. 

"We feel, as Christians, one of our jobs is to warn," said Pastor Terry Jones and author of a book titled "Islam is of the Devil." "The goal of these and other protests are to give Muslims an opportunity to convert."

Dove World Outreach Center's "International Burn a Quran Day" "smack during Eid al-Fitr, the Islamic feast days at the conclusion of the Ramadan fast," wrote USA Today's Cathy Grossman.

" Local Muslims are planning to use the feast as an opportunity to share Islamic traditions and Qurans with the church members and the wider community," Religion News Service reported"We don't want to do anything that would be reactive," said Ramzy Kilic, communications director of the Tampa Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations."

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:20AM #2
Tolerant Sis

Wow.  And we wonder why people fly airplanes into skyscrapers.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:32AM #3
Erey

Jul 27, 2010 -- 10:20AM, Tolerant Sis wrote:

Really????  Because a church in Florida burns Qurans that is somehow liscense to destroy and kill?  I don't bloody think so!  If someone takes a crap on a Bible should Christians eat thier dog?

Hey, I find what this church is planning to do embarrasing and mean-spirited but nobody needs to die.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:40AM #4
loveontheair

Hello,

And some burn the flag too...

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:47AM #5
Girlchristian

There is no excuse for the church's planned actions, it's mean-spirited and completely against Christ's teachings. Unfortunately, just because one calls themself a Christian that doesn't mean they follow Christ.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:49AM #6
mecdukebec
If you burn books (including the Bible or the Quran), eventually you progress to burning people.

"Wesley told the early Methodists to gain all they could and save all they could so that they could give all they could. It means that I consider my money to belong to God and I see myself as one of the hungry people who needs to get fed with God’s money. If I really have put all my trust in Jesus Christ as savior and Lord, then nothing I have is really my own anymore."
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 10:51AM #7
mountain_man

Jul 27, 2010 -- 10:18AM, Jeanninehunter wrote:

..."We feel, as Christians, one of our jobs is to warn," said Pastor Terry Jones and author of a book titled "Islam is of the Devil." "The goal of these and other protests are to give Muslims an opportunity to convert."

A fool and a part of the problem.

" Local Muslims are planning to use the feast as an opportunity to share Islamic traditions and Qurans with the church members and the wider community," Religion News Service reported"We don't want to do anything that would be reactive," said Ramzy Kilic, communications director of the Tampa Chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations."

We need more like this person, he's part of the solution.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 11:14AM #8
IreneAdler

Jul 27, 2010 -- 10:51AM, mountain_man wrote:

Jul 27, 2010 -- 10:18AM, Jeanninehunter wrote:

..."We feel, as Christians, one of our jobs is to warn," said Pastor Terry Jones and author of a book titled "Islam is of the Devil." "The goal of these and other protests are to give Muslims an opportunity to convert."

A fool and a part of the problem.

We need more like this person, he's part of the solution.

Oh, yes exactly!

Couldn't have stated it better myself!

Thank you, MM!

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 1:04PM #9
teilhard

See, Hatred expressed and celebrated tends to CULTIVATE MORE Hatred ...

Jul 27, 2010 -- 10:32AM, Erey wrote:

Really????  Because a church in Florida burns Qurans that is somehow liscense to destroy and kill?  I don't bloody think so!  If someone takes a crap on a Bible should Christians eat thier dog?

Hey, I find what this church is planning to do embarrasing and mean-spirited but nobody needs to die.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 27, 2010 - 1:07PM #10
Bezant

Isn't it a load of bullsh_t when Christians try to make Muslims "the enemy"? The ones who happen to believe in God and accept Christ as a Prophet?

I met an elder who said gravely, "Islam is spreading, you know."

WTF is with these un-pedigreed fundies? WTF do you need to burn a Quran to prove your religion is right?

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 9  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook