Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next
4 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2010 - 7:48PM #1
Myownpath

1974 Pulitizer prize winner Ernest Becker's work on the study of the denial of death was recently introduced to me in a podcast. Interestingly, I am reminded of A Course of Miracles which was published late summer of 1975/1976.   Books authored by Eckhart Tolle were based on ACIM, seem to resinate with what I am now learning about Becker's work.  www.flightfromdeath.com/becker.htm Perhaps it is just me seeing the connection, but that is not the importance of starting this post. Without using the word ego, Becker's work has strong psychological and scientific relevance in revealing how we treat others who have dissimilar beliefs when we are reminded of our eventual death.

Point blank studies show when someone challenges us and reminds us of our mortality we will strike back. Challenge someone's beliefs and that person will unconsciously attack back.

More to come.

itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/internationa... (number10) Terror management theory

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terror_management_...

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 12, 2010 - 11:40PM #2
Wendyness

Interesting subject. I was just thinking about this today as my only remaining sibling is now confronted with his own death, which reminds me of my own of course.  He may have a couple of months left.  He is sixteen months younger than I.  I try and imagine what I would feel and experience if I were confronted with my imminent death. The reality is I could be killed in an auto accident tomorrow, but I think it is different when you have time to contemplate your soon to be demise. The fear must be overwhelming at first, then denial, anger, resignation, surrender.....we all die. Years ago while I was still a teenager my youngest brother died at seventeen.  I was told that his chance of survival was 5% and that I was to prepare for his death, however, my mother refused to tell him.  I was responsible for driving him to his chemo and radiation treatments, knowing full well he probably would not survive. It was a mind f--k for me looking at him, spending time with him and realizing his life would soon be over. I'd wonder "do you know?". After months of treatment, a leg amputation, watching him suffer, I wondered how much more he could take...death would be easy after this.  I was with him when he died, held his hand and watched his body shut down.  I would talk to him and he would respond by squeezing my hand.  Soon his breathing became so shallow I would hold my breath and wait to see if he would take another. Right before he died he opened his eyes and looked directly at each and every one of us in the room.  It was surreal.  I remember thinking dying is easy, it's living that's hard.  I walked out of the hospital that gray rainy day, the wind hit my face and I had never felt so alive and guilty for being alive. It changed the way I looked at life forever.  Live your life fully and richly it's not a dress rehearsal, and never fear death, it's easy. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 7:16AM #3
Myownpath

Death is never easy when it involves those you love.

----------

Stay tuned for science involving the denial of death. I woke up late and no time to discuss.

Studies showing - judges who received death hints fined a prostitute (not actual) an average of $450 while judges who did not receive death hints fined a prostitute and average of $50.

People who received death hints were more likely to spike a person's food with hot sauce if the person had differing views.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 10:53AM #4
Wendyness

Jul 13, 2010 -- 7:16AM, Myownpath wrote:

Death is never easy when it involves those you love.

----------

Stay tuned for science involving the denial of death. I woke up late and no time to discuss.

Studies showing - judges who received death hints fined a prostitute (not actual) an average of $450 while judges who did not receive death hints fined a prostitute and average of $50.

People who received death hints were more likely to spike a person's food with hot sauce if the person had differing views.

Dying is a piece of cake compared to the suffering of living.  It's the struggle to stay alive that is difficult.  The moment of death, that last breath, the body surrenders and at last peace.  Death is easy, watching someone you love deeply suffer is hell.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 11:46AM #5
McAtheist

Hey, Wendy --

Sorry to hear about your brother.  I hope his remaining time is peaceful and pain-free (how often do we ever get THAT wish?) and that he gets the time he needs with you and the rest of his family.

I had 2 brothers that died quick, violent deaths, then my dad died of cancer --- I have to agree with you about how odd (and difficult) it is to know you are dying but to have time to contemplate it.  I am glad we all had the time to make peace with my father, but I was also glad for him when the pain and increasing indignities ended with his death.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 1:24PM #6
Wendyness

Jul 13, 2010 -- 11:46AM, McAtheist wrote:

Hey, Wendy --

Sorry to hear about your brother.  I hope his remaining time is peaceful and pain-free (how often do we ever get THAT wish?) and that he gets the time he needs with you and the rest of his family.

I had 2 brothers that died quick, violent deaths, then my dad died of cancer --- I have to agree with you about how odd (and difficult) it is to know you are dying but to have time to contemplate it.  I am glad we all had the time to make peace with my father, but I was also glad for him when the pain and increasing indignities ended with his death.

Thanks MCA, sorry to hear of your loses as well.  I learned at a very young age that death is always breathing down our backs, we can deny it, run away from it, but it is there, waiting for us. My brother is not dead inside me, nor is my father, and others that have crossed my path in life, death does not rob me of LOVE, I still very much love my brother, father and friends that have left this life.  This is the legacy, LOVE.  It's all that matters in this life.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 1:41PM #7
Christianlib

One of our great poets contemplates this question:

And Death Shall Have No Dominion

And  death shall have no dominion.
Dead mean naked they shall be one
With  the man in the wind and the west moon;
When their bones are picked  clean and the clean bones gone,
They shall have stars at elbow and  foot;
Though they go mad they shall be sane,
Though they sink  through the sea they shall rise again;
Though lovers be lost love  shall not;
And death shall have no dominion.

And death shall  have no dominion.
Under the windings of the sea
They lying long  shall not die windily;
Twisting on racks when sinews give way,
Strapped  to a wheel, yet they shall not break;
Faith in their hands shall  snap in two,
And the unicorn evils run them through;
Split all  ends up they shan't crack;
And death shall have no dominion.

And  death shall have no dominion.
No more may gulls cry at their ears
Or  waves break loud on the seashores;
Where blew a flower may a flower  no more
Lift its head to the blows of the rain;
Though they be mad  and dead as nails,
Heads of the characters hammer through daisies;
Break  in the sun till the sun breaks down,
And death shall have no  dominion.                                                                     

Dylan Thomas

Moderated by Jcarlinbn on Jul 13, 2010 - 03:31PM
Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 1:43PM #8
Christianlib

Sorry about all that html.  Can't get it out.

In the edit window click on HTML and you will get the bastard code used by OneSite.  Delete everything you don't recognize as simple HTML and you should be OK.  If you don't know HTML at all forget it.  Just as easy, cut and paste into notepad or other RTE which will strip the html.  paste back into the post window over everything from top left first position.  

Moderated by Jcarlinbn on Jul 13, 2010 - 03:39PM
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 4:18PM #9
Wendyness

CL,

The words of Dylan Thomas provoke such powerful feelings, I am in awe of his poetry.  Two weeks ago I was in New York and unbeknownst to me around the corner from the hotel I was staying in was the Jungian Institute of New York.  My daughter pointed it out to me as we walked back to the hotel from dinner.  The next morning I awoke feeling depressed and overwhelmed at the feelings I was experiencing regarding my brothers soon to be demise.  I dressed and walked over to the institute.  I rang the bell and an older gentleman greeted me and let me in.  I told him that I was there to peruse the bookstore.  As I was going through the books on the shelf, he approached me and handed me a piece of paper and asked me to read it.  It was this poem by Dylan Thomas.  As I read it I was shocked by the synchronistic moment.  How could this man have possibly known my morning was one of contemplating death?  Such is life.....full of mystery.

Thank you for the poem CL.

Wendy

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jul 13, 2010 - 5:27PM #10
Christianlib

Wendy,

Are familiar with this one by Thomas?

THE REFUSAL TO MOURN THE DEATH BY FIRE OF A CHILD IN LONDON.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 5  •  1 2 3 4 5 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook