4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 12:31PM #1
jesusfreakgal

I think that overall that daycare CAN be a good thing. It provides parents with childcare when parents have to work, and provides socialization for the children to go to daycare. But the greatest (im my opinion) drawback of daycare can be the cost. I looked up what the cost of daycare is in canada and came across some interesting numbers. The lowest listed was $20 a day for in home day care. BUT the highest listed/ mentioned was $80 a day. One woman made a good point that with her having three kids that require day care, $80 would turn into $240 a day (or $1200 a week, or $4800 a month or $57,600 a year, which is a HUGE amount). Sometimes I believe parents (mainly mothers) stay home with their children simply because of this very fact. That daycare in their area is quite expensive (say like $70 or $80 a day), and they have multiple children, making the daycare unaffordable for them. But the worst is when someone has multiple children that they need daycare for, but because of where they live, it is unaffordable for them (such as the case of a single mother with a somwhat decent job, but who doesn't make enough to make daycare affordable for them). This makes me wonder why daycares are prices as they are, some being like $35-$40 a day where as others are $75-$80. I heard one person mention that the daycare their child goes to costs $43 a day, and that includes all snacks/ meals and field trips. I also heard one person mention a daycare they looked at cost $75 a day, and did not even provide lunch (even when kids were on solid food). I do understand that (at least in canada and I am sure its by province and not federally) I think in canada there are rules about how many daycare workers a place needs (I mean like one day care worker per x number of children/ babies). And I do know that daycares have many expenses (food, cost of place daycare is, paying daycare workers, and such), but unless what the daycare workers are payed, the cost of the location, and the cost of what they feed the kids varies a lot  between daycares, then I don't see why there is such a great difference sometimes (I can mostly see the price being different per province as apposed to singnificantly different across a single province).  For me and my family when I was growing up, we had nannies, and only went to daycare for PA days for maybe 2 years.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 12:47PM #2
LaToya

I agree with you on the pricing. I live in Metairie, La and i must say the prices will shock you. That is the reason why I stay at home with my kid. Daycare is so expensive here. I do think daycare is good, it helps kids socialize and learn (some of them). If the prices weren't so high, my son would there in a minute.

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 12:57PM #3
Tolerant Sis

I think preschool and day care are often two different things.  Preschool is a cognitive and social learning center, where children also learn to master some important aspects of self-care.  Day care can be just a place to put a kid when the parents have to work.

Even parents who can't afford a good preschool often can afford Head Start or one of the other subsidized care centers, and usually there are tax credits to help parents fund preschool.  

I recommend preschool for all children for several reasons, but primarily to provide a good starting place for the school experience and to get all the separation anxiety things worked out before the child is in school full time.  

There is a Head Start in Metarie, LaToya.  I'd give them a call if you can.

First amendment fan since 1793.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 2:12PM #4
Erey

In my state (i think all states) you can now get a PreK-4 (typically for 4 year olds) free through the public school system.

In my area at first it was for kids that came from nonenglish speaking households then latter it was expanded to all low income kids regardless of english ability.  They have it right there in the elementary school. 

They don't offer PK-3 at the schools and I guess that would be headstart. 

I put my kinds on a nursery school when they were pre-preK.  Which was not too much about 400 for a month.  Then for Pre-K (the two years before Kindergarten 3's and 4's) we did a co-op.  The Co-op was alot of work but it was a great experience.  I worked 1-2 mornings a month plus a few extra projects in the co-op which was actually enjoyable. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 6:15PM #5
jesusfreakgal

Thats cool. I did not know this until recently, but the province of Quebec has a $7 a day daycare, but, althought I believe everyone has access to it (don't believe you can qualify based on income), but I believe its hard to get in because of the demand. I like the idea of $7 a day daycare except for one thing. How do daycare workers get paid? I assume the government as I believe it is done through the government. Wonder how much such workers are paid.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 7:05PM #6
Erey

I also liked it when my kids went to preschool.  Something to keep in mind is one of the reasons they think some of the other countries like Finland do better with education than the US is that kids simply do not start school until the age of 7. 

The idea is that boy's brains develop differently than girls and if you wait until the age of 7 boys are much more ready for school.  More boys being ready for school means more boys will have positive experiences and a better attitude towards school which means longer term better educational results. 

just a thought

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 24, 2010 - 7:17PM #7
jesusfreakgal

I just played around with those numbers relating to $7 a day daycare. Since I have no idea many kids would be in a daycare (could be lots, but I assume it would be divided up based on age.), I can't say how much a daycare having that would make in a year. But it looks like if you do it by daycare (if its 50 or less kids) or per age group, a daycare wouldn't make much more then $120,000 a year. Thats not a lot to work with.\

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 27, 2010 - 2:22AM #8
karbie

When my son was preschool age, it was a time when all the scandals were front page news about child abuse cases. We had been transferred 360 miles from home and I didnt know which ones were safe and which weren't. I did join a Mother's Together group so he could have a chance to play with other kids and I could have a break once a week. I still remember one of the women coming in really pleased that she had signed her 3 year old up for preK 4 times a week. It had nothing to do with giving him a head start and everything to do with having free time--she was even bragging about it. And she had family in the area who would take her son in a heart beat if she needed help.

My son did go to the Vacation Bible school each year that we could walk to. I signed him up for the city parks program that met in the playground attached to his school so that it wouldn't be a strange place. In our county, all 4 year olds had to go through a screening when you were signing them up for kindergarten, and if they had a need for preschool, it was provided free. I was told that he didn't need it. He did become friends with a boy from the parks programs and the friendship lasted over a decade.

I was a stay-at-home Mom. We did crafts, we went to museums, watched Sesame Street and Letter People. When he started school, the teacher asked him what preschool he'd gone to and was surprised we'd done it all at home. Later on I did Teacher's Aide, room mother, field trips, library, etc. My son came along late in our marriage; I miscarried the first time and no one was sure if I'd be able to get pregnant again, let alone carry to term. So we'd been married 10 years before he came along. We had talked about trying for a second child, but the economic reality was we could afford to have me not work for one child, but not for two.

One of the nicest compliments I was paid was by one of the other moms--she had been feeling pressured to put her oldest daughter in preschool because everyone else did. She said that the job I'd son with my son proved to her it could be done at home. She'd been a kindergarten teacher--she was very creative and intelligent and I doubt if anyone could have matched her.

Later on I was not only a stay-at-home Mom but ended up homeschooling for 3 years when my son's asthma, allergies, and eventually diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome made it impossible for him to even be in the school building. They called me to ask if there was a "psychological" reason he had an asthma attack at the same time every day--20 minutes after he'd been forced to stand outside in the ragweed and Fall mix pollen and molds he's the most sensitive to. The school nurse was so daffy that she thought it was good when I told her we'd just been back from the ER and his blood oxygen level had been 36 when we got there. He was lying there terrified that he was going to flunk on attendance. I got that call after the 3rd time I'd had him at Children's Hospital in 10 days and been told by 2 doctors that he couldn't be near dogs and cats or people who owned them. The school threatened to flunk him for attendance if he missed one more day.

I called the Board of Education to see what I needed to do to pull him out of school and called Calvert and had them express the placement test. My son is in college now, works, and married a lovely, wonderful girl in December and his in-laws love him as much as we love her. But at the time the school was hassling me, there were a lot of thing they could have done to help us that they never mentioned.

So, for those in the US--if you child has a chronic medical condition, you can request they be put on weighted attendance so that their absences aren't counted against them as much. If your child has a chronic physical, mental, or emotional conditions, they fall under the Federal Disabilities Act and the school system can give them an IEP -Individual Education Program, spelling out what special needs your child may have and planning their schedules to accommodate them. They are also supposed to notify the teachers, which I usually ended up doing myself. The school must furnish a tutor for the core subjects-math, science, history, and language arts at no expense to you and you do not have to meet in the school or your home to receive this. We got lucky in High School because his German teacher offered to tutor him during the Friday school detention she was already being paid for. Once the school found out they didn't have to pay for it, they were happy to approve it.

My next-door neighbor furnished day care because she couldn't stand being away from her son, and she watched enough children that it left them with as much or more than she had cleared after paying a babysitter. When she finally went back to work when he son started kindergarten, she made sure that her group of kids could stay together and went to someone she trusted first. I was talking to her one day as she had one little girl in her arms and kissed her on the top of the head...and that little girl shivered with delight. I came in and cried, thinking how many parents would be praying their kids got that kind of care. She did a wonderful job.

Whatever your choices turn out to be, I wish you all the best.

"You are letting your opinion be colored by facts again."
'When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you."
these are both from my father.
Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  May 29, 2010 - 3:25PM #9
jesusfreakgal

That is great to hear. But one problem with daycare (not all just some) is price. Some daycares are quite expensive and even expect parents to provide food/ lucch for their children (even if on solid food), and then there are others that are loike $20-$30 cheaper that include food, snacks and some even outings. Don't get what this is. I can understand price differences based on location, but not that drastic.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel
4 years ago  ::  Jun 07, 2010 - 7:47AM #10
jesusfreakgal

I was thinking about the issues I have with daycare. The first one is the combination of price vs location as compared with price of other daycares in other locations. What I mean here is how much a daycare cost in x locations as compared to how much they cost in other locations. I find that with cost alone, there can be quite a difference in daily price sometimes. It makes me wonder what makes one so much more expensive. I know location can be a factor, but with some daycares being $30-$35 or more a day higher, I woner how much of that is because of location. What partly made me wonder this was when I was reading a website where people commented on daycare (canadian), one person mentioned a daycare being $75 a day (and they did not provide lunch/ snacks), and one being $42 and it not only provided lunch and snacks, but even outtings. My reaction was 'its got to be location that is making the price so different.' But I also thought that location can make it THAT different (that one has to be $33 higher and drop providiing even snacks, let alone lunch or outtings). I was considering the no luch being provided thing, and considered the age of the child. If you've got 18 month olds, really they can't be responsible for their own lunch. Pretty much allo (as far as I believe) they do is feed themself. I believe i would most likely be the daycare workers responsibility to open all the lunches for the 18 month olds (and maybe kids a bit older too) and get the kids set up with it. If you have say 15 18 month olds, and only 3-4 daycare workers, that is 4-5 kids each that they have to set up. Then after the kids are done, there is clean up. Also those daycare workers would be responsible for making sure that the kid did not forget their lunch bag, napsack (if they brought one) and any containers they brought. Personally I think that could be too complicated. If the meal was provided it would mostly be just serving all the kids the same thing and things would be easier.

JFG

Quick Reply
Cancel

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook