Post Reply
Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Doctors in America call for 'safer' hot dog
5 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 10:47PM #61
Abner1
Posts: 6,391

Mytmouse wrote:


> Hot dogs are one such food -- maybe twice a year, at the most, is plenty.


Heh - for me, it's fast food hamburgers.  Once every year or two, I'll treat myself to a fast food hamburger.  They taste so *good* ... and then I spend a day or two regretting it, but that's the cost, I knew it going in.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 25, 2010 - 11:22PM #62
Stardove
Posts: 15,391

Feb 25, 2010 -- 4:08PM, solfeggio wrote:


There is no such thing as a 'safe' or 'safer' hot dog.


Hot dogs are unsafe whether or not you cut them up, because of the simple fact that they are composed of toxic chemicals, salt, saturated fat, and bits of leftover meat scraps discarded from the slaughterhouse which can include dead rats, insects, and rotted meat.


In fact, The World Cancer Research Fund in the UK recommends avoiding any type of processed meats because they raise a person's risk of developing cancer.


So, worrying about whether the shape of the hot dog is injurious to anybody's health, whether child or adult is, as the old idiom goes, straining out gnats and swallowing camels.





Feb 25, 2010 -- 6:20PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


Feb 25, 2010 -- 5:21PM, mainecaptain wrote:


Feb 25, 2010 -- 4:18PM, shirleyj227 wrote:


 


Oh Hell the food police are here. Take care of yourself honey and we will be happy for you if you can learn that.




This is an open forum, and her opinion is a welcome one. You don't care what you eat fine, some people actually do.




I do not care what she eats. She is silly for thinking she can tell others what they should eat. She should get a life.


Shirley



No where in solfeggio's post do I see her telling anyone what they should eat.  She is giving her opinion about processed meats.  Since I am a vegetarian, I do not eat meat hot dogs.  I do eat veggie dogs.  I tend to agree with solfeggio when it come to meat hot dogs.


One might say you, Shirley you are being silly for making such a joke.  You like hot dogs, do you?

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 12:07AM #63
Stardove
Posts: 15,391

Feb 25, 2010 -- 11:36PM, solfeggio wrote:


Stardove -


Thank you so much for your post.  I really do try not to tell people what they should eat, mainly because I remember very well how I used to be (back in the Dark Ages when I was young) and nobody could tell me anything because of course I knew everything (LOL).  And I know how it is with a person's cultural behaviour patterns: they are almost impossible to break.


People grow up eating certain foods, and they are loathe to change.  We're all like that.  Some of us start to question our habits, though, and go off in other directions.  Some people change their religion, or they go into a different sort of life work (like my brother, who became a drummer in a country-western band).  For me and my husband, it meant changing our dietary habits. 


We're glad we did, and that's the whole point, isn't it?


Oh, and BTW:


We also eat veggie hot dogs, and I defy anybody to be able to tell the difference between a veggie hot dog or sausage and one made with meat.  Because they are made with the same sorts of herbs and spices, for one thing, are in the same shape, and they are salty.



You are welcome.  I LOVE what I call my "fake meat".  When "fake bacon" came out I was thrilled.  I love the "fake hamburgers, corn dogs, chicken patties, chicken wings, barbecue riblets and sausages, etc.".  The crumblies ("fake ground hamburger") make cooking so much shorter.  Morning Star rocks in my book.


One of my daughter's friend's is now using the crumbles, instead of ground hamburger, since she had some of my cooking with crumbles.  They still eat meat, but she loves the crumbles.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 1:19AM #64
jane2
Posts: 14,295

Y'all


This has been a neat discussion about how we eat and why. I've learned much.


Star-D what are crumbles--like bacon bits not made with bacon? I buy a little bacon a few times a year--usually at the Fresh Market where I can get the apple-smoked (not cured) and just the number of slices I want. (The best bacon I've ever eaten is in Ireland--quite lean but better-tasting than Canadian processed bacon. The Irish have a penchant for fresh food--that tiny island.)*


My daughter and love the Fresh Market, which originated in Charlotte, NC. The have a long wall of beautifully displayed fresh veggies and fruit. Again you can buy just the amount you want. A great butcher shop and fresh fish and seafood--for the non-vegans.


Solf: I never knew what bangers and mash are. Or that the Brits ate so much sausage, etc. My husband's family, English/Scottish ate the same foods as mine, Irish/English--the old meat, potatoes and a veggie. Mainly we ate the same way. We did eat white bread for toast and sandwiches. But our US land is so diverse we can produce much--my state grows peaches and Florida next door citrus and berries. I need to do more reading about NZ.


I've enjoyed this conversation. We can exhange ideas without poking each other in the eye.


Jane


* a story: when we were in Kilkenny Ireland my husband and I stopped in at a big pub for lunch. The young man seating customers was in a royal stew because the potatoes hadn't arrived. We told him we'd just have a "fresh-cut" sandwich and  a Harp's beer. The sandwiches were made with freshly sliced roast lamb on bread to die for. The Harp's isn't bad either.


 


 

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 12:36PM #65
Girlchristian
Posts: 11,196

gs

Feb 25, 2010 -- 11:36PM, solfeggio wrote:


Stardove -


Thank you so much for your post.  I really do try not to tell people what they should eat, mainly because I remember very well how I used to be (back in the Dark Ages when I was young) and nobody could tell me anything because of course I knew everything (LOL).  And I know how it is with a person's cultural behaviour patterns: they are almost impossible to break.


People grow up eating certain foods, and they are loathe to change.  We're all like that.  Some of us start to question our habits, though, and go off in other directions.  Some people change their religion, or they go into a different sort of life work (like my brother, who became a drummer in a country-western band).  For me and my husband, it meant changing our dietary habits. 


We're glad we did, and that's the whole point, isn't it?


Oh, and BTW:


We also eat veggie hot dogs, and I defy anybody to be able to tell the difference between a veggie hot dog or sausage and one made with meat.  Because they are made with the same sorts of herbs and spices, for one thing, are in the same shape, and they are salty.





I agree with you on the veggie dogs. I'm a former vegetarian and I still enjoy veggie dogs. I like to cut them in half, throw them on a skillet so they're browned and then put cheese and sauerkraut on them. YUMMY!!

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 12:45PM #66
IreneAdler
Posts: 2,849

Do veggie dogs have the same physical hazards regarding choking that hot dogs pose?


 IF so, then the call for 'safer' hot dogs should include veggie dogs too- yes? Or one  should give  the same forethought regarding serving them to wee ones.


Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 12:49PM #67
Girlchristian
Posts: 11,196

Feb 26, 2010 -- 12:45PM, IreneAdler wrote:


Do veggie dogs have the same physical hazards regarding choking that hot dogs pose?


 IF so, then the call for 'safer' hot dogs should include veggie dogs too- yes? Or one  should give  the same forethought regarding serving them to wee ones.


Irene.




Yup, same shape so just like with regular hot dogs, parents should cut them up into smaller pieces to prevent choking.

"No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible." George Chakiris

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.” Stuart Chase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 12:58PM #68
Erey
Posts: 18,691

I agree with Abner that you can find quality hotdogs, such things are available.


 


I tried veggie hotdogs once and they were horrible, really vile.  I like tofu and I like the vegetarian meat crumbles so I thought a veggie dog would be no big deal.  But they infused the dog with an artificial hot dog taste and it was so bad. Very chemical tasting

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 2:26PM #69
Stardove
Posts: 15,391

Feb 26, 2010 -- 12:58PM, Erey wrote:


I agree with Abner that you can find quality hotdogs, such things are available.


I tried veggie hotdogs once and they were horrible, really vile.  I like tofu and I like the vegetarian meat crumbles so I thought a veggie dog would be no big deal.  But they infused the dog with an artificial hot dog taste and it was so bad. Very chemical tasting



Like everything in life there are different brands.  I like Boca Burgers (a veggie burger), but when it come to "fake chicken" I like Morning Star better.  Maybe it was the brand of hot dog Christiangirl.  Another brand might not be as bad.  I cover mine with mustard anyway.  Yes, I also like them with sauerkraut, which not everyone cares for.


 


Jane, the crumbles are used like ground meat (hamburger, round, etc).  What I buy come in 12 oz. package, but equals a pound of hamburger.  Which means in most cases of cooking regular ground hamburger 4 oz. of grease/fat is cooked off and hopefully drained before using.   I agree it is nice to have a thread where posters are not attacking beliefs...or each other.  Wink

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 26, 2010 - 4:59PM #70
shirleyj227
Posts: 10,989

Feb 25, 2010 -- 8:16PM, Erey wrote:


All I know is that I try hard to accomodate people with different diets.  It can be a pain sometimes but I try not to let that show.  If I am responsible for the food I always take into consideration if someone is vegetarian or has a religious issue with pork or might be intolerant of gluten or dairy.  I don't tell them they are a pain in the butt because normally I am genuinely happy to be hospitable.


But I find too often that it is the vegans or the vegetarians that are not accomodating of other people and tend to try to make people feel bad about their food. 




Yes and many times they are the fat slobs.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 7 of 9  •  Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
 
    Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

    Beliefnet On Facebook