Page 4 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Doctors in America call for 'safer' hot dog
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 9:30PM #31
Stardove

Feb 23, 2010 -- 8:05PM, rangerken wrote:

1. Off topic...but... any sane court would have thrown out that coffee suit and told the plaintive... the woman... that she had been stupid... and to try and learn from the experience.

2. On topic... what worries me isn't that government HAS entered into this,. but that it MIGHT! My libertarian principles don't like government doing anything except making war and delivering the mail... now that's more than a bit extreme, but you get the idea I hope.

A group of physicians is absolutely right in putting out a warning like this. Parents should be aware and careful. Government should stay the hell out of it!

Ken

You old war monger you! Wink 

I tend to agree with your first point.  People cannot be protected from their selves at times.  Common sense in parenting is called for.  Of course, I grew up in black and white with about three channels.

My grand-son was tossing grapes in the air and catching with his mouth.  He just about choked on one, but was able to cough it up.

A few years back a friend of mine was enjoying hamburgers with her husband in their back yard, and she choked to death on the burger.  She was brought back, but her brain organ was dead.  I spend the last night all night in the hospital to give her husband and family a break after the plug was pulled.  It was a fast food burger, but no one thought about a lawsuit.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 10:14PM #32
rabello

Well....17%, which is almost one in five....of all choking incidences among children in the US is due to choking on hot dogs, so that ought to tell us something.....

Obviously there is something about hot dogs that increase the risk of choking.  It's not hard to figure it out when you consider how dense they are -- not easily broken up or coughed up once they get stuck, and also, their shape which if pefectly in line with the anatomy of the throat.   

As for the McDonald's coffee suit, I'm glad she won restitution for her serious burning injuries, and if it takes lawsuits like her's to force vendors to pay more attention to the safety of the products they sell to an unsuspecting public, so be it.   Particularly when the vendor is a multi billion dollar corporation like McDonalds that can afford to pay such attention. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 10:35PM #33
jane2

Oh Good Grief.

Spare me the good parent exposes. What good parent doesn't protect their children ??

One of my fave family pix is of my family, my sister's family and precious friends at the Command and General Staff College with their/our kids at a KC Royals game. I t was kids cap day and every kid in the photo had a cap and is filling his or his face with baseball junk food. It was a great day.

Protecting our children is a major responsibilty but here is to the parents who make sure their children see the world and participate in muc h. These are the children who will give much more.

Do we take our children to the Olympics, to fine restaurants? To concerts? Some of us do. For some of us exposing our children to as much as we can is the greater obligation. Our children had lived in Southeast Asia and had traveled through th MidEast and Europe before they were ten. And hot dogs were not much a part of our concern.

Have at, dudes and dudettes.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 23, 2010 - 11:53PM #34
loveontheair

Hello,

Do hotdogs lead to obesity? How about a hotdog tax?

love

Good works will never produce faith, but faith will always produce good works. loveontheair
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 12:55AM #35
jane2

Seriously...............so much vent about hot dogs. We never served them  at home.

Took my favorite cousin to a GA TECH  football game and to the immortal Varsity here later: What'll ya have, what'll ya have. We both had their famous onion rings and slaw dogs. They were great. And we both survived. In Atlanta one must have a meal at the Varsity and one at the Waffle House. Waffle House has the best scattered and onion  hash browns on earth.

We needn't eat naughty every day, but on occasion it makes life more interesting and fun. I love very rich French cuisine too.

Have fun, live a little.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 11:16AM #36
Nepenthe

I am really not feeling the love here for the hot dog.  Sure, you average ball park dog is going to be pretty haelth destroying, but you are given a wide range of choices in the grocery store.  100% beef dogs are not a bad choice, and recently I went with the turkey dogs, which had almost no fat in them.  They tasted pretty good, and will probably be my choice for the future.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 11:20AM #37
Christianlib

Feb 24, 2010 -- 12:55AM, jane2 wrote:

Seriously...............so much vent about hot dogs. We never served them  at home.

Took my favorite cousin to a GA TECH  football game and to the immortal Varsity here later: What'll ya have, what'll ya have. We both had their famous onion rings and slaw dogs. They were great. And we both survived. In Atlanta one must have a meal at the Varsity and one at the Waffle House. Waffle House has the best scattered and onion  hash browns on earth.

We needn't eat naughty every day, but on occasion it makes life more interesting and fun. I love very rich French cuisine too.

Have fun, live a little.

Yay for Atlanta's Varsity.

In 1968, I was stationed at Ft. McPherson, which is in Atlanta.  We'd ride a bus across town to eat at the Varsity whenever we could, then 1993 to 2000 I went to a yearly trade show in Atlanta.  Each year included an obligatory trip to the Varsity.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 11:38AM #38
Nepenthe

And concerning the secondary subject of this thread, the McDonalds incident.  Here is a good website listing 8 facts that most people do not know about the lawsuit.  

McFacts about the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit

McFact No. 1:  For years, McDonald's had known they had a problem with the way they make their coffee - that their coffee was served much hotter (at least 20 degrees more so) than at other restaurants.

McFact No. 2:  McDonald's knew its coffee sometimes caused serious injuries - more than 700 incidents of scalding coffee burns in the past decade have been settled by the Corporation - and yet they never so much as consulted a burn expert regarding the issue.

McFact No. 3:  The woman involved in this infamous case suffered very serious injuries - third degree burns on her groin, thighs and buttocks that required skin grafts and a seven-day hospital stay.

McFact No. 4:  The woman, an 81-year old former department store clerk who had never before filed suit against anyone, said she wouldn't have brought the lawsuit against McDonald's had the Corporation not dismissed her request for compensation for medical bills.

McFact No. 5:  A McDonald's quality assurance manager testified in the case that the Corporation was aware of the risk of serving dangerously hot coffee and had no plans to either turn down the heat or to post warning about the possibility of severe burns, even though most customers wouldn't think it was possible.

McFact No. 6:  After careful deliberation, the jury found McDonald's was liable because the facts were overwhelmingly against the company. When it came to the punitive damages, the jury found that McDonald's had engaged in willful, reckless, malicious, or wanton conduct, and rendered a punitive damage award of 2.7 million dollars. (The equivalent of just two days of coffee sales, McDonalds Corporation generates revenues in excess of 1.3 million dollars daily from the sale of its coffee, selling 1 billion cups each year.)

McFact No. 7:  On appeal, a judge lowered the award to $480,000, a fact not widely publicized in the media.

McFact No. 8:  A report in Liability Week, September 29, 1997, indicated that Kathleen Gilliam, 73, suffered first degree burns when a cup of coffee spilled onto her lap. Reports also indicate that McDonald's consistently keeps its coffee at 185 degrees, still approximately 20 degrees hotter than at other restaurants. Third degree burns occur at this temperature in just two to seven seconds, requiring skin grafting, debridement and whirlpool treatments that cost tens of thousands of dollars and result in permanent disfigurement, extreme pain and disability to the victims for many months, and in some cases, years.

Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 12:04PM #39
Agnosticspirit

Nice summary, Nepenthe.... My first reaction to the McD's lawsuit was similar to some expressed in this thread. Frivolous reward for stupidity. We had quite a discussion on the USNP board about this, and eventually facts presented forced me to reevaluate my position. What prompted me to change my mind on this was the fact that McD's knowingly served coffee at extreme temperatures in order to save $$ on refills. My sympathy for the corporate mentality where the only moral reason for existence is to make a profit went out the window.

To the topic at hand.... I KNOW hot dogs are full of junk but love 'em anyway.... I just don't eat them that often but when I do, an all beef kosher dog in a soft squishy bun with ketchup, mustard and relish brings home the taste of sunshine and baseball games. Good memories.  As has been noted by other posters, some foods can be choking hazards whether they are all natural (like grapes) or totally artifical (hot dogs)... Much as we hate to admit it, the world will never be 100% safe. I hope no forced regulation results from this. It also occurs to me that those who DO choke on their food, be they adults or children, can benefit from slowing down. Eat your food slowly, chew thoroughly (with mouth CLOSED) before swallowing. I haven't seen any stats to support my notion, but I can't help but wonder how many people have choked because they were eating too fast and wolfing down their food.

Slower eating can also help to address obesity. When you take your time, your stomach will feel more full with less because it's given time to send the "I'm full, you can stop eating now" to your brain.

OTOH, I imagine some creative entrepeneur can spring off this announcement and manufacture "kid friendly" hot dogs. Smaller size, similar to those horrid little smoky sausages should reduce choking hazards if instructions in eating slower don't work. Cute little buns to match the kid friendly hot dogs and you have another market niche too.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Feb 24, 2010 - 1:45PM #40
Scott

Thanks, Nepenthe, for the concise summary of the facts of the infamous McDonald's coffee lawsuit.  That is the favorite anecdote of those who clamor for tort reform.  They love to cite that case although they, of course, have never bothered to inform themselves regarding the details.  They only know what the corporate media sensationally tells them.

One of the facts that seems always to be overlooked in this, and all the other infamous lawsuits, is that it was a jury of common and sensible folk who arrived at these awards.  Some people like to dismiss that by saying something along the lines that a Philadelphia lawyer can always pull the wool over a jury's eyes.  In doing so, they conveniently overlook the fact that it is the defendant who has the unlimited legal resources.

I find it ironic as well that the same folks who champion the common sense of the individual and oppose government intervention in almost anything (except war-making and mail delivery), are the self same who want the government to intervene to protect corporations from the common sense of juries. 

As for hot dogs... you can't beat the Varsity! 

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 9  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook