Page 1 of 22  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Ohio Wants a Second Try at Executing Inmate - Your Thoughts?
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 1:23AM #1
Merope

On September 15, Ohio tried -- but failed -- to execute condemned inmate Romell Broom by lethal injection.  It's a fairly horrible story, with Broom being stuck with needles for something like 18 times by prison staff trying to find a usable vein.  Apparently the execution team hit bone and muscle more than once in their futile attempts.  The painwas  so intense that Broom cried and screamed out.  At one point, a physician was brought in to try to insert a catheter into one of his feet; that attempt failed, as well -- in spite of the AMA's prohibition against its members participating in executions.

This went on for several hours.

The governor of Ohio finally called a halt to the attempts by postponing the execution.  The judge hearing Broom's appeal called the attempts a "debacle."

Now Ohio wants to try to execute Broom again, using a single-drug injection method that was used -- for the first time anywhere in the US -- on Tuesday to execute another condemned Ohio inmate.  That method is an injection of one intravenous drug, with a two-drug back-up method involving intramuscular injection.  The initial drug is an anesthetic in an amount sufficient to kill, although it works slower than the current three-drug combo used in all other lethal injection states. 

Stories here and  here.

This story raises a host of questions, including whether Ohio should even be permitted to try to execute Broom again, whether death by lethal injection is sufficiently painless to pass constitutional muster, and whether a physician should assist at an execution.

What do you think about this (and whatever else comes to you mind)?  What do you think about capital punishment, generally?

Apart from what you think about this story, how does this story make you feel?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 1:30AM #2
Lonelydisciple

I personally think that state sponsored executions equal premeditated murder.  

Inhumane and barbaric really. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 10:50AM #3
Agnosticspirit

Humane execution is an oxymoron. Yell

The death penalty is a remnant of our barbaric past. Perhaps this horror will give those in favor of the DP a little cause for pause--- they can no longer rationalize that "at least we're no longer hanging them, at least we're giving them a PAINLESS death".

Did you realize the guillotine was invented in France to provide a more humane way to pull off an execution?

At one time, I actually favored the DP for those who committed truly serious crimes. I can no longer rationalize this.

For those who commit truly egregious crimes, let them live out the rest of their lives behind bars, remembering everything they've lost. Give them their 3 square meals a day, treat prisoners humanely and reform the prison system that permits guards to abuse female inmates and for inmates to abuse each other. THAT'S the humane way of protecting society from those who pose a threat.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 11:01AM #4
Christianlib

LonelyD, and Agnostic are right.

There is no civilized way to be barbaric.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 11:48AM #5
mountain_man

Dec 10, 2009 -- 1:23AM, Merope wrote:

...Apart from what you think about this story, how does this story make you feel?

Sad. Sad that this country has not grown past the barbaric practice of retribution by murder.

Dave - Just a Man in the Mountains.

I am a Humanist. I believe in a rational philosophy of life, informed by science, inspired by art, and motivated by a desire to do good for its own sake and not by an expectation of a reward or fear of punishment in an afterlife.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 12:38PM #6
Merope

Dec 10, 2009 -- 11:48AM, mountain_man wrote:

...Apart from what you think about this story, how does this story make you feel?

Sad. Sad that this country has not grown past the barbaric practice of retribution by murder.

Me, too.  Well, actually, this story made me nauseous.  It also makes me feel ashamed of living in a country where this kind of barbarity is practiced.  On days when executions take place anywhere around the country, I feel ashamed to be human.

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 1:55PM #7
SatanicStalker

It's true that there really isn't a way to humanely execute someone. 

But, for crying out loud, it's the death penalty. It should not be painless. 

We should certainly not go out of our way to create excess pain in an execution, but I think we are far too obsessed with making it perfectly painless. It's not like we execute anyone for trivial matters in this country. The way I see it, if you are in favor of the death penalty but only if it is perfectly painless and humane, then you are probably not really all that for the death penalty in the first place. A limited amount of pain for a short time during an execution is morally insignificant next to fact that it is an execution, that the state is killing someone. 

The problem is, we are squeamish. It's like the lethal mouse traps that are fully enclosed, so you never have to see the mouse you just killed. If you're that squeamish, use a non-lethal trap. If you're going to kill the mouse, don't try to pretend you didn't. 

Personally, as a citizen of a death penalty state, I don't have a problem with causing mild to moderate short-duration pain in the execution of serial killers, child rapists, and the like. If I committed a capital crime (not that I ever would), I would not think I was entitled to a painless death. 

In this particular case, however, I think if they tried and failed that spectacularly, they should not try again. I'm not sure I can justify that position, it's just a feeling I have. 

~Stalker

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 3:32PM #8
TemplarS

Dec 10, 2009 -- 12:38PM, Merope wrote:

Well, actually, this story made me nauseous. 

What happened to Mr. Broom was  inexcusable,  and should not have happened.

However, what really makes me nauseous is reading about people such as Mr. Broom raping and killing 14 year old girls.  Do not ask me to feel sorry for Mr. Broom, when he is still walking around and Tryna Middleton is not.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 3:38PM #9
jane2

Dec 10, 2009 -- 12:38PM, Merope wrote:

Dec 10, 2009 -- 11:48AM, mountain_man wrote:

Me, too.  Well, actually, this story made me nauseous.  It also makes me feel ashamed of living in a country where this kind of barbarity is practiced.  On days when executions take place anywhere around the country, I feel ashamed to be human.

Merope

I agree with your post on this. And it is barbaric.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Dec 10, 2009 - 3:50PM #10
rangerken

Whether or not someone is for or against the death penalty (and I am for it under some very specific conditions) this situation is sickening. It defines 'cruel and unusual' in my opinion.

It also disturbs me that we spend so much time and effort making something that is really simple so convoluted. A bullet fired into the back of the head, just at the brain stem, is instantaneous. It's inexpensive. And it is infallibly effective. If we are going to execute people then let's do it fast and efficiently. (And to those who may be wondering if I understand what shooting someone really means...been there, done that... and no I'm NOT bragging and it was never 'fun'... it was simply part of my job during one part of my life).

The conditions under which I am in favor of capital punishment are as follows;

1. No doubt of guilt... forget reasonable doubt... if there is ANY doubt, no capital punishment!

2. The crime involves the death of someone else.

3. The crime was premeditated, meaning the accused meant to kill.

For everything else considered to be a 'capital crime', life imprisonment, with no parole, under very, very harsh conditions.

Ken

Libertarian, Conservative, Life member of the NRA and VFW
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 22  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook