Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 1:45AM #1
Stardove

Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

The man known as the "liberal lion of the Senate" had fought a more than year-long battle with brain cancer, and according to his son had lived longer with the disease than his doctors expected him to.

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," the Kennedy family said in a statement. "He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it."

More at link or Google news.

Please let's leave his past mistakes out of the discussion and have some respect for a man who dedicated his life to politics.  Whether you agreed with him or not please be respectable. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Edit:  Make that respectful manner.  (My bad CL using an adjective.)

Thank you to those who have.  My mother raised me telling me, If you cannot say something nice about a person, then don't say anything at all. Surprised

Co-Host HTZ ~ Stardove

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

Anger cannot occur unless you believe that you have been attacked, that your attack is justified in return, and that you are in no way responsible for it. ACIM

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 1:54AM #2
jane2

Aug 26, 2009 -- 1:45AM, Stardove wrote:

Ted Kennedy Dies of Brain Cancer at Age 77

The man known as the "liberal lion of the Senate" had fought a more than year-long battle with brain cancer, and according to his son had lived longer with the disease than his doctors expected him to.

"We've lost the irreplaceable center of our family and joyous light in our lives, but the inspiration of his faith, optimism, and perseverance will live on in our hearts forever," the Kennedy family said in a statement. "He loved this country and devoted his life to serving it."

More at link or Google news.

Please let's leave his past mistakes out of the discussion and have some respect for a man who dedicated his life to politics.  Whether you agreed with him or not please be respectable.  Thank you.

Co-Host HTZ ~ Stardove

I agree, SD

I posted about jus the Senator's death and checked to see if others had posted. Your post had rabellos had not registered yet.

J.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 1:54AM #3
rabello

Thank you for the plea, stardove.  Let us hope.

Especially sad that he didn't live long enough to see "the fight of his life," health care for every American become a reality.   Or to be well enough to be able to attend his sister's funeral just a few short weeks ago.

Or to see the Iraq Tragedy come to a just end.   He made one of the greatest anti war speech I heard in the 8 years that GWB was CiC.    I'll have to look for it.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 2:07AM #4
jane2

For those interested Thursday and Friday at 7 pm Eastern Time Chris Matthews will be presenting a film on JFK, RFK and Senator Ted Kennedy on msnbc.

Time for me to watch some retospectives on msnbc.

May Ted Kennedy rest in peace.

discuss catholicism
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 6:07AM #5
Adelphe

Aug 26, 2009 -- 1:45AM, Stardove wrote:

Please let's leave his past mistakes out of the discussion and have some respect

Is there some particular reason why Ted Kennedy should be shown respect here but not Michael Jackson, for example?

for a man who dedicated his life to politics.

Are career politicians supposed to be a priori admirable?

Whether you agreed with him or not please be respectable.  Thank you.

Co-Host HTZ ~ Stardove

So we can discuss the actions of men  like Jackson or Carradine or al Megrahi who has maintained his innocence but Kennedy--who admitted his guilt in what was essentially manslaughter of a woman and who served a total of 0 days of his 2 month "suspended" sentence in prison--is sacrosanct?

Why? 

Because Kennedy is one of "our own"? 

Because he only killed one measly American and not 180?

Unless I am convinced by Scripture and plain reason, my conscience is captive to the Word of God. I cannot and I will not retract anything, for to go against conscience would be neither right nor safe.  Here I stand.  I can do no other.  God help me.  Amen.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 8:41AM #6
Messiahobama

Ted Kennedy was a major supporter of women's rights.  If you had sex with as many women as Ted, you'd believe in abortion too.

He did call the police 10 hours after killing Mary Joe Kopechne.   He didn't wait 11 hours, that's a major character plus.  Most drunk drivers who leave dead bodies go to prison, for life.  But Ted Kennedy is a monument to what money can do.  His father got rich smuggling alcohol to America during prohibition.  Kennedy, of course, was a major consumer of alcohol, often a little tipsy on airline flights, or at Washington restaurants.   Who can forget the "Waitress Sandwich"?   A menu item invented by Ted Kennedy and friend Sen. Chris Dodd.  Together, in public, at the La Brasserie restaturant they sandwiched a waitress, until she went screaming out of the dining area.  It was a real scream, better than Howard Dean.

We missed the wise comments and questions of Ted Kennedy during the Clarence Thomas hearings.  He just sat there letting others complain about sexual harassment.

then we had the 1991 barhopping incident where Ted and nephew William Kennedy Smith got drunk, had sex, and a little rape problem occurred.  Ted knows how to be a good role model for his nephew.

The Owl Club was a club kicked off harvard, for gender discrimination.  Ted remained a member, even though it did not allow females as members.  Ted later did criticize republican supreme court nominees for belonging to similar social clubs.  

Ted Kennedy is great at education.  He hired another student to take a Spanish exam for him at Harvard.  He's an inspiration to all, that you can pass exams, even if you know nothing about the subject.

Ted got suspended from Harvard and went into the military, where he earned the rank of Private.    He rose no higher.   This gives inspiration to all veterans who never were promoted.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 8:49AM #7
Christianlib

Again, I am overwhelmed by the depth of some peoples' hate and nastiness.

RIP, Edward.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 9:30AM #8
Messiahobama

How could Joan Kennedy divorce such a saintly man?  Has the Catholic Church begun the sainthood proceedings yet?   How many miracles are attributed to Ted Kennedy?   Is your cancer healed because you touched his picture?

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 9:34AM #9
Christianlib

Are you SO callous that you can't give it a rest even on the day of his death?

And you think you are making HIM look bad.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 26, 2009 - 10:02AM #10
Iamfortruth

Aug 26, 2009 -- 2:07AM, jane2 wrote:

For those interested Thursday and Friday at 7 pm Eastern Time Chris Matthews will be presenting a film on JFK, RFK and Senator Ted Kennedy on msnbc.

Time for me to watch some retospectives on msnbc.

May Ted Kennedy rest in peace.

Thanks. I'll be watching this.

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 7  •  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook