Page 5 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Questions & Answers
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 7:22PM #41
Agnosticspirit

Aug 13, 2009 -- 7:18PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

This post will be used in the demonstration ----  how to pull apart another member's post and respond point by point.

1. First area to  pick apart and respond to.

answer to # 1 here.

2. Second area to pull out and respond.

answer to #2 here.

3. Third area for response.

The next subsequent post will provide a visual for how a broken up post should appear, then I'll provide instructions for how we got there. I'll grant that it's more challenging on this platform because we DON'T see the username.... we only see numbers that have no meaning to human beings... If these instructions make sense, let me know... Then we'll try to deal with picking out portions of a NESTED post to quote and respond to.

Answer to # 3 here.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 7:58PM #42
Agnosticspirit

Breaking up isn't so hard to do.... trying to convey how I do this is...Please let me know if  this makes sense. For purposes of this demonstration, I'm entering a space between the right/opening square bracket [ and the quote, to display what you should see in your window when you pull apart a quote. You won't want to do this when  you're actually quoting someone. Let's begin...

When you press the Quote button, the upmost line you'll see in the text editor is a begin quote notation that looks like this: [ quote author=33467779 post=318875283]

Followed by the body of the text, ending with a command to end a quote like this:  [ /quote]

Since the first line a post contains the command to start a quote, the only thing you need to do is copy the end quote at the end of the portion where you'd like to start typing your response.

[ quote author=33467779 post=318875283]-- and paste it at the beginning of the post you'd like to respond to: copy the command to end a quote  [ /quote] and paste it at the end of the area you'd like to respond to. Below you'll see how this will all look.

When you get to the next area you'd like to respond to, copy the begin quote notation [ quote author=33467779 post=318875283] and paste it right above the next portion you'd like to address. Should be right below where you typed your first response.  Close the body of text you're referencing with the end quote. Since I'm responding to 3 areas within the same quote, I'll copy and paste the begin quote 2 times, end quote 2 times for a total of 3 beging quote notations and 3 end quote commands.

Begin visual demo where the begin quote and end quote are place... I've bolded them to make it easier to see.

[ quote author=33467779 post=318875283]

This post will be used to demonstrate how to pull apart another member's post and respond point by point.

1. First area to pick apart and respond to. [ /quote] Type in your response here.

2. Second area to pull out and respond. [ /quote] type in second response here.

3. Third area for response.

The next subsequent post will provide a visual for how a broken up post should appear, then I'll provide instructions for how we got there. I'll grant that it's more challenging on this platform because we DON'T see the username.... we only see numbers that have no meaning to human beings... If these instructions make sense, let me know... Then we'll try to deal with picking out portions of a NESTED post to quote and respond to.

[ /quote] Last response here.

Note: the numerical values after author= and post= are unique; keying into the post#, timestamp and author.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:02PM #43
Ken

Hmmm . . . that's what I've been doing, except that for subsequent quotes I simply use [ quote] instead of repeating [ quote author=33467779 post=318875283]. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Sometimes it works, but sometimes the quote box ends up as a kind of narrow bar above the quoted portion or includes only a portion of the quote.  

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:11PM #44
Agnosticspirit

Ken, I've tried to just use [ quote] and [ /quote] without any results, always have to copy and paste the entire quote=blahdeblahdeblech to make it work. Our preview isn't optimal, so I don't always see how it'll look until the post is submitted, may have to go back and edit (usually because I forgot the end quote [ /quote].

Quoting portions of a nested quote are a challenge.... I haven't yet figured out how I would convey this, other than working from the outside toward the inside.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:24PM #45
Stardove

Aug 13, 2009 -- 9:11PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

Ken, I've tried to just use [ quote] and [ /quote] without any results, always have to copy and paste the entire quote=blahdeblahdeblech to make it work. Our preview isn't optimal, so I don't always see how it'll look until the post is submitted, may have to go back and edit (usually because I forgot the end quote [ /quote].

Quoting portions of a nested quote are a challenge.... I haven't yet figured out how I would convey this, other than working from the outside toward the inside.

That's odd.  I use the [ quote]and[ /quote] leaving out the space all the time, especially if I am quoting an outside source.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:28PM #46
Agnosticspirit

Aug 13, 2009 -- 9:24PM, Stardove wrote:

That's odd.  I use the

</p><blockquote><div class="incqbox"><p>and</p></blockquote><p><br />

I may be doing a quick edit.  I am testing something.

SD if there's an easier way to do this please do tell! On nesting..... I pressed the quote button to respond to Stardove's prior post, but I wanna take MY quote out of it and just respond to Stardove's portion of the text. Since the last person quoted is on the OUTSIDE,  I removed the inner block of text -opening quote, end quote of MY stuff.

Voila!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:29PM #47
Agnosticspirit

1. testing Stardove's simpler method. First portion.

2. second portion.

3. third portion.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:30PM #48
Agnosticspirit

response 1, after typing in [ quote] and ending with [ /quote]

2. second portion.

response 2

3. third portion.

response 3, how does this look? Oh, it DOES work, only there's no indication of who I'm quoting.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:31PM #49
Stardove

You got my error, which I was pretty sure was going to show up.

I am going to use [ quote] and [/ quote] without the space after the bracket.

SD if there's an easier way to do this please do tell! On nesting..... I pressed the quote button to respond to Stardove's prior post, but I wanna take MY quote out of it and just respond to Stardove's portion of the text. Since the last person quoted is on the OUTSIDE,  I removed the inner block of text -opening quote, end quote of MY stuff.

Now let's see what happens.

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 9:32PM #50
Stardove

Aug 13, 2009 -- 9:30PM, Agnosticspirit wrote:

response 1, after typing in [ quote] and ending with [ /quote]

2. second portion.

response 2

3. third portion.

response 3, how does this look? Oh, it DOES work, only there's no indication of who I'm quoting.

I think you have it down pat.  Laughing

Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 5 of 16  •  Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook