Page 4 of 16  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next
Switch to Forum Live View
Sticky: Questions & Answers
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 2:16PM #31
Stardove

Aug 13, 2009 -- 2:10PM, Christianlib wrote:

Star,

I think we all know that hosts can't make these fixes.  But, unfair as it may be, you are the only path provided to try to communicate with the powers that be.

BTW, if the vendor is screwing up, perhaps it's time to screw the vendor, and find another.

That is exactly what Beliefnet did.  Remember the changes in 2007?  That vendor got fired and OneSite tooks it's place.  Just about the time we got use to the New Beliefnet we had another major change in the site.

I say members ought to write staff about the way avatars display at community@beliefnetstaff.com. 

The more members let staff know they are unhappy the more staff will let OneSite know this is an important fix.

The best thing about the new vendor is we actually stay logged in.  That was a major complaint of mine with the last vendor.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 3:15PM #32
Ken

Aug 13, 2009 -- 2:16PM, Stardove wrote:

I say members ought to write staff about the way avatars display at community@beliefnetstaff.com. 

The more members let staff know they are unhappy the more staff will let OneSite know this is an important fix.

I'm afraid those of us who have been with Beliefnet for any length of time have come to the conclusion that staff don't care what we think. The forums haven't worked properly since the 2007 changes.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 3:20PM #33
Stardove

Aug 13, 2009 -- 3:15PM, Ken wrote:

Aug 13, 2009 -- 2:16PM, Stardove wrote:

I'm afraid those of us who have been with Beliefnet for any length of time have come to the conclusion that staff don't care what we think.

Sorry you feel that way Ken.  Guess, I see another side to staff being a host.  I do see they care, but sometimes their hands are tied  (figuratively).  Staff does communicate with their hosts.  I've been a member of Beliefnet since '99 or 2000, so I have seen and been through the changes, too.

Beliefnet Community Wide Moderator ~ Peace Love Stardove
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community

The words I speak and write carry energy and power, so I choose them with care and clear purpose. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 3:32PM #34
Christianlib

I'm afraid my experience parallels Ken's.  And I too have been here since early in the 2000s.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 4:03PM #35
Ken

Aug 13, 2009 -- 3:20PM, Stardove wrote:

Sorry you feel that way Ken.  Guess, I see another side to staff being a host.  I do see they care, but sometimes their hands are tied (figuratively). 

No doubt, but it comes to the same thing as far as ordinary members are concerned. There must be somebody whose hands aren't tied, but they move in an exalted sphere to which mere mortals have no access.   

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 4:08PM #36
Christianlib

It has long  been clear to me that the staff do not consider the readers and posters as their customers.  They consider the advertisers their customers, and the members just part of the "took kit."

And, in some business models, that a perfectly logical way to look at it.  EXCEPT, what they are selling to those Advertiser Customers are the eyeballs of the readers and posters.  And they take us for granted at their peril.  Dwindling numbers of eyes will mean dwindling revenues.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 4:43PM #37
Agnosticspirit

Just stopped by for a quick moment to comment.... the assumption that Bnet staff doesn't give a Ratza$$ about the forums and members is a sweeping generalization that doesn't take into account that there are staff members that DO.  (note: I don't claim to know whether or not the Murdoch dude gives a ratz..... Wink)

I can even understand why Beliefnet, the CUSTOMER, is at the mercy of the software provider..... they're waiting in line just like other customers using OneSite to prioritize reported issues and implement desired/required features. Whether post migration support was part of the package, or whether Bnet has to pay for each customized solution I do not know... That varies from company to company....  Bnet has the option to switch to another provider, but as we all know, the upheaval of switching platforms is immense and not to be taken lightly.

I remember all the problems with the previous platform and am glad to see they've vanished. Now we have new problems. Some of the new problems have been fixed right away, others are still on the "to do" list every software company has 'em....

The avatar is annoying, but given the ability to lookup member posts and quick profile access when we click on the silly little head and shoulders applet (under username, above post count)  as we were able to do on the Small World Labs platform, I'm willing to accept the goofy looking avatars as a trade off.

Back to work, so I'll see you lovelies later.

Edited to add disclaimer: I work for a software company.... hence, my familiarity with software glitches, reporting them, prioritizing them, delivering solutions and the frustration on all sides when priorities of what should be done first isn't the same all around.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 7:10PM #38
Ken

The avatar feature is minor. I'd be glad to do without avatars altogether. But something like the crankiness of the quote feature is major. I just spent ten minutes trying to get the quotes right in a post and had to give up in despair. I never had that problem on the pre-2007 Beliefnet.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 7:13PM #39
Agnosticspirit

Aug 13, 2009 -- 7:10PM, Ken wrote:

The avatar feature is minor. I'd be glad to do without avatars altogether. But something like the crankiness of the quote feature is major. I just spent ten minutes trying to get the quotes right in a post and had to give up in despair. I never had that problem on the pre-2007 Beliefnet.

Ken, what's troubling you with quotes? The ability to multi quote (pull down more than one quote to respond to more than one poster in a window) has been restored.

We can break up quotes as well, although it's more difficult... I've been meaning to write instructions but keep putting it off, I'll quit procrastinating.

Tribalism, ethnocentricism, racism, nationalism, and FEAR is the Mind Killer... >:(

For user to user support and to look up the latest glitch reports, check the Beliefnet Knowledgebase by clicking on the link below!

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Aug 13, 2009 - 7:18PM #40
Agnosticspirit

This post will be used in the demonstration ----  how to pull apart another member's post and respond point by point.

1. First area to  pick apart and respond to.

2. Second area to pull out and respond.

3. Third area for response.

The next subsequent post will provide a visual for how a broken up post should appear, then I'll provide instructions for how we got there. I'll grant that it's more challenging on this platform because we DON'T see the username.... we only see numbers that have no meaning to human beings... If these instructions make sense, let me know... Then we'll try to deal with picking out portions of a NESTED post to quote and respond to.

Beliefnet Knowledgebase
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 4 of 16  •  Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook