Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next
Switch to Forum Live View Madoff Gets the Max!
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 12:26PM #1
Merope

Bernard Madoff has been sentenced to 150 years in prison.

Bloomberg describes his crime(s) as "epic fraud," noting that Madoff masterminded the largest Ponzi scheme in history.  Madoff's sentence is six times longer than the penalties meted out to the chief executives of WorldCom and Enron.

What do you think?  Too long?  Too short?  Just right?

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 12:36PM #2
Cesmom

Just right!!!  He deserved the max.

And, I do agree with the fact that they let his wife keep some money - it's hard to tell exactly what her level of involvement would have been in the whole thing.  I'm glad they didn't let her keep the whole $80 million they were trying to claim was hers, but to let her keep something was fair.

I think the only remorse that guy feels is over the fact he got caught.  He has no true understanding of what he did to his victims.

Our need to learn should always outweigh our need to be right

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

More people would learn from their mistakes if they weren't so busy denying them.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 12:56PM #3
IreneAdler

Remorse?? That's what little people feel!

(sorry -bad joke- couldn't resist)

He certainly deserves the 150 years-every day of it.

Part of me wishes they’d have him trade places with someone who was ruined by his doings. Like someone whose retirement he completely wiped out and is now reduced to existing solely on Social Security income. Then he’d be forced to learn how real folks live. I know jail is worse, but having to decide whether to pay for meds or food each week ain’t a picnic.

Irene.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 1:05PM #4
Christianlib

Jun 29, 2009 -- 12:26PM, Merope wrote:

Bernard Madoff has been sentenced to 150 years in prison.

Bloomberg describes his crime(s) as "epic fraud," noting that Madoff masterminded the largest Ponzi scheme in history.  Madoff's sentence is six times longer than the penalties meted out to the chief executives of WorldCom and Enron.

What do you think?  Too long?  Too short?  Just right?

Madoff=Just right.

WorldCom and Enron=Too short.

Democrats think the glass is half full.
Republicans think the glass is theirs.
Libertarians want to break the glass, because they think a conspiracy created it.
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 1:54PM #5
appy20

I agree with Clib. 

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 2:39PM #6
Justme333

I am not so sure.  Yes, what he did was horrendous.  Yes, he should lose every cent he has (including the money they let his wife keep), and then let him struggle on the streets like some of those he cheated may have to do.  That seems more fair to me than giving him a double life sentence.  He got more time than some who are convicted of murder - and that I do not understand.

Justme

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 2:45PM #7
appy20

Yes, people with murder sometimes (not always) get less time.  However, the answer to that is not to let Madoff get off for less.  The murderers should get more.  Our laws are quite soft on murder.  The actual implementation of them, rather.

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 3:04PM #8
Cybermama

I'm so sick of hearing about this guy. I just turn the channel now!

Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 3:16PM #9
Merope

Jun 29, 2009 -- 2:39PM, Justme333 wrote:

I am not so sure.  Yes, what he did was horrendous.  Yes, he should lose every cent he has (including the money they let his wife keep), and then let him struggle on the streets like some of those he cheated may have to do.  That seems more fair to me than giving him a double life sentence.  He got more time than some who are convicted of murder - and that I do not understand.

Justme

At the sentencing hearing, the judge called Madoff's crime "extraordinarily evil."

A propos of the murder analogy, some of Madoff's burned investors did commit suicide when they discovered their investments were worthless (not to mention non-existent).  One investor's widow interviewed on my local Fox station's news said she feels her husband's suicide was tantamount to murder committed by Madoff.  She said it thoughtfully and reluctantly, but she meant it.

Then, too, he'd been running the scheme since some time in the 1960s.

I think, though, that he might have gotten a lighter sentence had the economy not tanked as badly as it has. 

Merope | Beliefnet Community Manager
Problems? Send a message to Beliefnet_community
Quick Reply
Cancel
5 years ago  ::  Jun 29, 2009 - 3:32PM #10
Justme333

Jun 29, 2009 -- 3:16PM, Merope wrote:

Jun 29, 2009 -- 2:39PM, Justme333 wrote:

Justme

At the sentencing hearing, the judge called Madoff's crime "extraordinarily evil."

A propos of the murder analogy, some of Madoff's burned investors did commit suicide when they discovered their investments were worthless (not to mention non-existent).  One investor's widow interviewed on my local Fox station's news said she feels her husband's suicide was tantamount to murder committed by Madoff.  She said it thoughtfully and reluctantly, but she meant it.

Then, too, he'd been running the scheme since some time in the 1960s.

I think, though, that he might have gotten a lighter sentence had the economy not tanked as badly as it has. 

Guess I hadn't heard all that, and I can certainly understand why his victims would want him sent away for ever.  I still think that 6-12 months in a really hard core prison, and then released with absolutely not a dime to his name would be more equitable.  Maybe he then would understand what he did to others, maybe he would end up as the victim who committed suicide. I do not think that having three square meals a day and a roof over his head for the rest of his life shows him anything. He won't be around that much longer anyway.

Justme

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."  Will Rogers

"Give to those who ask, and don't turn away from those who want to borrow."  Matthew 5:42

"Charity is no substitute for justice withheld."         St. Augustine

"Your love for God is only as great as the love you have for the person you love least."  Dorothy Day

"If you want peace, work for justice." Pope Paul VI
Quick Reply
Cancel
Page 1 of 4  •  1 2 3 4 Next

Viewing this thread :: 0 registered and 1 guest
    No registered users viewing
    Advertisement

Beliefnet On Facebook